For the women doing this...WHAT are you eating?

• May seem a silly question, but I have 4 daughters and a husband.

We have some food allergies around here we already have to modify for. As a woman and or a mom how are you eating AND feeding your family? I want to set a good example without the "diet" mentality setting into my kids. My husband who has nearly nothing to lose has given up soda to show the kids by example.

• i have a very picky 2 year old, so he's not an issue in what i cook, since he won't eat anything anyway.  lol.  i have found many recipes on this site as well as other bfl sites that are really good and as my husband says, don't even taste like "diet" food.  that's because it's not diet food!  it's just good, healthy balanced meals w/ proper portions.   i've also gotten recipes from the eating for life book and used those without any issue (many people will caution you on portion size since a lot of the recipes are for maintenance).  

here is this weeks menu at my house:

stuffed peppers

crockpot beef stew

baja street vendor chicken tacos

asparagus, tomato and chicken penne pasta

hot stuff chili

• I have the Eating for life recipe book by Bill Phillips, something for everyone! Try goggling BFL recipes and I bet a lot will come up! Good luck!

Live   Love   Lift!

Dee :)

• Can I come to your house for dinner jaypbee??? Sounds wonderful!

Live   Love   Lift!

• My family loves blackened salmon with chili powder, cayenne, and paprika. Bake or broil. My daughter says it is too spicy. For hers I use lemon peel and herbs. serve with brown rice and peas. Or any carb/veg combo. Maybe a little sea salt and fresh ground pepper.

Since herbs and peppers are allowed the possibilities are endless. Sometimes we let the kids eat a can of ravioli or TV dinner when we are eating some of the more expensive things that they don't care for, but usually all the same.

--- Kitty

• sure, Deirdre, come on over!  the more, the merrier...

• I have just 1 child and a husband, and they eat what I eat. Our philosophy is "The cook sets the menu" and if they don't like it, they can cook. But.... here's the catch. We only have healthy foods in out house- whole grain pastas, fruits and vegetables, lean turkey, chicken ***, cottage cheese, etc....

My family's favorites include:

Chicken pita pizza, Steak and potato wedges, turkey burgers, steak fajitas.

I find most of my stuff, also, on the BFL recipe site.

What kind of allergies do you have in your family?

Stacy Lynn

• I have an 8 year old boy and a 6 year old girl and a 40+ husband.  For the most part, I will cook lean meat and chicken healthily. If I make somthing like hot sausage, spaghetti and meatballs, pork chops, foods that aren't on the list, I will eat leftovers. Last night I made fried fish sandwiches for my husband and salmon for myself.  I plan an alternate food for myself that can be prepared at the same time.  I am going to make bbq babyback ribs this week and will make bbq chicken *** for myself at the same time. I will leave my vegetables without any butter and put a little on everyone elses.  This is lengthy, sorry.

• Doesn't that get exhausting?? I think you're strong! I would have given into the cravings and joined in eating the ribs with my husband instead of chkn brst!!

Stacy Lynn

• It isn't exhausting because what I make is a simple verion of the other. When I throw the ribs in the crockpot, I will throw in the chicken ***. The salmon went in the oven with no prep at all. I scoop out the rice for me and then add some butter for the kids and my husband.

Also, I should confess that I am only on day 3! A couple years ago, I did my first challenge, and this method worked for me. I also learned to freeze food that I wanted. So, if there is something I really want, I would freeze it or make it on my free day.

I am more going by my last experience, since this one is new, but I have to tell you, making my meal plan ahead with eating times really helps. And, when my clothes are looser after three days, I am motivated. When my motivation/will power will fail is when I am not getting results. So far, so good. Melissa

• Wow Melissa! So helpful! Right now it's only me and my husband and we are both on the body for life. When I make dinner I always make enough for lunches the next day or at least for my husband, I can always have a salad with veggies & chicken for lunch.

But... next month my daughter and her 2 boys (2 & 4) are coming to live with us for a while. She is getting out of a bad marriage in Florida and coming "home" to us in upstate NY. So I have been wondering how I was gonna do meals. My daughter said she was excited to come home and get the boys on a proper schedule and away from sugary foods. Well, I told her she was coming to the right house!!!

Anyway you made it all sound doable!

Thanks!

Dee

Live   Love   Lift!

• Dee, Thanks! Usually when I post online, it's either a thread killer or people totally ignore what I have to say, so I am often a lurker. Melissa

• All the recipes sound so yummy!  Kudos to the cooks out there.  Our house works the same as Stacy Lynn's.  The cook is in charge of the menu and as my kitchen wall plaque says..."Tonights Menu is, Take It or Leave it!"  lol.  

When I started cooking more healthy for my family (whole wheat pasta, brown rice,  whole grain bread and ditched all the white flour stuff, etc.) my husband lost 15 pounds without even trying!  Nobody really noticed  the changes that I made and the food just tasted better!  I cook the same meal for everyone and it has proven to be much easier than trying to cook different meals for everyone.  I would highly recommend this so that cooking doesn't become such a chore that it derails you from your challenge.  Best wishes!!

"No More Excuses...No More Wasted Time!"

• Melissa-Sounds like you are on the right track! And just for the record...does any of you want to volunteer to come cook at my house??   Two teenage girls a 7 yr old boy and a husband who "likes" his meat and taters! Heaven help me!! :)

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...

• Hi Debbie!

So, what do you cook for your husband & kids? Is your husband doing BFL also? Are your kids supportive, I know teenage girls are not always fun! (If you had told me that my daughter & I would be friends in the future when she was a teenager, I would of never believed it! She is now almost 26 and we are best friends!)

Have a great day!

Dee

Live   Love   Lift!