Starting September 7 - Confused about weights

• Hi,

looking for advice. 

I'm planning out my workouts for the week.  If I plan to do, let's say, Dumbbell shoulder press as follows:

12 reps - 12 lbs

10 reps - 15 lbs

8 reps - 17.5 lbs

6 reps - 20 lbs

12 reps - 15 lbs

the next time I do shoulder press, what weights should I use?  How do I know when to increase my weights?  I'm thinking the routine would look like this:

12 reps -  15 lbs

10 reps - 17.5 lbs

8 reps - 20 lbs

6 reps - 22.5 lbs

12 reps - 17.5 lbs

is this right?

any advice is welcome.  I keep thinking that if I'm increasing weights each session, I'll be lifting 40 to 50 lbs in less than a month!

• I would look at increasing every 4 weeks, probably not realistic to increase every workout session.

• Let your level of intensity guide you.  If you're lifting your last set of 12 without quite a bit of effort on reps 10-12, it's probably time to increase.  You're supposed to hit a 9 on that set, so let that guide you.  Make notes of how it goes on each bodypart and refer back to those notes the next time you lift that bodypart or that specific exercise.  Good luck!

-Mike

• Thanks.  I was thinking the same.

• Thanks Mike.  I read your profile.  Good luck to you as well.  I'm really hoping I can stick to the plan.  I always start off with good intentions but falter within a month.

• They are both right!  I am kinda the same.  If the 15 reps at the end felt too easy.  You might want to start with that next time.  Your last 12 reps are suppose to be intense and the 12th rep should be hard to push up.  Once you find that, then that is where you should stay till it is easy to get 12 full reps at the end, and then increase again.  

Tis better to look UP in the mirror to be inspired than to look DOWN at the scale and lose your desire!! - SEM

• Thanks Squid!  I was able to do Day 1 but managed to lose motivation for Day 2.  LOL.  Will try again today.

• days 2, 4 and 6 always suck for me...stupid cardio...who invented that thing anyway?...lol  Keep it up and you will do well.  Just remember cardio can be done in sooooo many ways so as not to get bored with it!!

Tis better to look UP in the mirror to be inspired than to look DOWN at the scale and lose your desire!! - SEM