NEWBIE w/?'s about food plan....

• Ok, want to make sure I'm doing this right and would like any feedback.  I just finished reading the book over the weekend and started today.  So far, my menu has been this:

breakfast - 3 egg beaters scrambled w/mushrooms, onions and topped with two tablespoons salsa.  Coffee with a dash of agave nectar.

snack - low cal yogurt mixed with 1/2 cup of low fat cottage cheese

lunch - 2 cups mixed greens with 4oz shrimp, 2 tblspns garbanzo beans, sliced red onion, tblspn goat cheese and two tblspns olive oil vinagrette.

snack - light string cheese and two little "cutie" oranges...so far i'm right at 800 calories

doing the upper body workout when i get home from work and then

dinner is going to be 3 to 4 oz lean steak w/asparagus and a 1/3 cup whole wheat cous cous. 

am I even close to being on the right track here??  oh and by the way, i'm female, 5'7" and 190 with a long way to go.  thanks!

• Good so far, but here are my comments:

B-feast= Need a carb.

Lunch- Depending on your portion of the cheese, you  might be able to use more carbs here too....

(remember, about the size of your fist)

Snack- String cheese is not considered a protein. Try a protein shake or Greek Yogurt- which is considered a protein.

It also looks like you only have 5 meals. Make sure to get all 6 in.

Also, since you are doing your workouts during your day, make sure to wait about 3 hours after eating before you work out, and wait one hour after you work out to eat again.

Lastly, make sure to get AT LEAST 80 oz of water in a day.

Looks great so far!

Keep up the good work!

Stacy Lynn

• Thanks Stacy!  

If I added a whole wheat english muffin dry to breakfast, would that work?  I can see I have some work to do.  I ate my last mini meal at 2 and will start the workout at 5:30-ish so the time frame there works well and then we will cook dinner so that will take at least 45 to 60 minutes there so I think I've got the timing down.  

I do plan to do the hiit in the morning before starting my day so that should be ok too.  

I've only had about 40 ounces of water so far but it's only 3:30pm here so will be able to fit that in still.

Also, I'm curious what everyone thinks about chocolate milk?  I bought some lowfat chocolate milk at costco over the weekend and though I would use that as the 6th meal?  ??  

Thanks again, It'll take me awhile to get it all down.

• I think if you add in an english muffin (whole wheat)  you should be fine. The trick is to adjust without butter.

I love chocolate milk as well, but the sugar content isn't something you want to mess with during the program.... there are better alternatives that taste just as good.

Here's what I do, this might help.

Chocolate protein powder, 8 - 10 oz milk, and 1 banana blended until smooth. Tastes like a chocolate milk shake, and that could be a whole meal.

Stacy Lynn

• Darn!  Ok, I'll pass along the chocolate milk to my teenage son.  Can you recommend a good protein powder?  I've never done that before (protein drinks) so I'm a little worried about cost/taste.  

Thanks again for your help!

• One thing to keep in mind is just because it is low-fat does not mean it is good for you. There are lots of yogurts out there that are low-fat but pack a ton of sugar. Watch the labels and ingredient lists not for calories (BFL does not require counting calories but does require portion sizes) but for content. Also one thing I do to stay away from the hassle of reading so many ingredient lists is eat whole foods. This way I know exactly what I am putting in my body and I have found that I enjoy the food I eat so much more as I can add spices and all sorts of other things that I like to eat. It makes me much more satisfied at the end of the meal.

For protein powder, I use the EAS brand that you can get from sams club (not sure about costco) for a great price. I think it is 5lbs for about $20. Off the top of my head i think there are about 72 servings per bag. This stuff is great to have as a part of your meal plan.

As for taste of protein powder drinks, it takes an extremely short time to get used to them. I quite enjoy a chocolate protein drink especially with a banana as mentioned above. I add a tbsp of NATURAL peanut butter in this mix to make it like a reeses smoothie and it gives you the essential fat you need for the day.

Really figuring out what works for YOU is the challenge but once you do it is cake.

Hope you enjoy this program. It really is the best program I have seen to help people like you and I make the lifelong change in lifestyle that we all need (or we would not be on here). Results do come quickly if you stick to it!

Hope this helps!

• Thanks!  Back to costco I go to get protein powder.  The price/convenience sound pretty doable.  

My yogurt had 9 grams of sugar, 12 carbs and 7 grams of protein.  I'm not much of a yogurt eater in the first place but it was on the "list" so I went for it.  

I am determined to figure this out and try to find "my way".  

Thanks again!

• Good day,

I am starting Body-for-Life on Monday, and was wondering, can I have three meal replacements instead of the two that I see most are having.

I ask this as I am in South Africa and getting proper protiens (meat) from a butcher can become an expensive task