Need food advice - starting my first challenge on 8/12/13

• My husband and I are doing the challenge together, I'm not a picky eater so everything looks good to me. My husband, on the other hand, HATES vegetables and is lactose intolerant. I don't know how to balance the meals for him and I without breaking the bank... Any suggestions??

• I just don't even know what to make that he will not HATE....

• I think you are going to have to take him out and do some food tasting. I can not imagine how anyone can HATE all veggies.  They all have different flavors and some taste great.  You can have him look himself in the mirror and say that lack of veggies got him to where he is today...lol...just kidding.  You just might have to put on the kiddie gloves with this one.

Tis better to look UP in the mirror to be inspired than to look DOWN at the scale and lose your desire!! - SEM

• First of all, it's so awesome that you and your husband are doing this together. I, too, am starting my first challenge on 8/12 although my husband is in great shape and could never give up his sweet snacks so I am going at it alone. :/ That being said, I know what your husband is going through. I almost never eat vegetables and I know that I am lacking some serious nutrients and vitamins because of it. For me, it isn't the taste of the vegetable that I can't stand, it is the texture. In order to incorporate vegetables into my diet, I am going to have to cut them up into bite sized pieces and add them to other foods. I am also planning on some green smoothies like adding spinach and other veggies and fruits to the blender with protein powder, ice, etc. in an effort to avoid the texture that I so hate. I'm not sure if these ideas would work for your husband but you could give it a try. :-) Hope this helps!

• Also try the "Recipes" link under the "Library" tab at the top of the page. There are lots of great recipes there that you could work with. Good luck and God Bless! :-)

• Hi all, I got a mini muffin pan and made mini muffins, use your veggies shred them and add them to the batter, like buckwheat pancake mix shred carrots or zuccini and nuts they make great snacks I add fruit too.. Those mini pans are great for making mini burgers or omletes perfect portion control to trick your mind..plus the kids have fun helping out

• I'm 44 years old and starting this challenge as well this month. I am one of those guys who hates vegetables. I will eat some green beans if they are cooked with a lot of bacon fat; some broccoli if it is covered in cheese sauce, but that's about it.    Last weekend I turned a corner. My wife bought a vegetable juicer.  I had my first bunch of kale, apples, carrots, celery, ginger and cucumbers ever in my life!  The juice looks like green baby poop and isn't the best tasting, however the best recipe I've found is below.  The apples and ginger gives it a sweet and spicy type taste. Still not something I would sit down and drink for fun though.  If your husband can't stand vegetables, but knows he needs them for the challenge, he can down 20 oz of this recipe daily and the experience lasts only about 30 seconds.  Chase it down with water and it's over.  It's working out for me.  It takes a while to juice all this.  Get a milk jug and make a lot of it at the beginning of the week and put it in the fridge.  I down 20 oz in the morning before I work out.

1 cucumber

4 celery stalks

2 apples

6 Kale Leaves

1tsp Lemon Juice

2 1 inch chunks ginger root.