Don't Fight the Never-ending Battles of Fitness!!

• My old mentor used to say that if you wanted to you could have a battle going on every day of your life about something relatively unimportant. He pointed out that there are no winners in never-ending battles--only dropouts! That's true in body for life too. Here are some of the "never-ending battles" you might as well just quit fighting if you hope to be happy, joyous and free!

1. Getting others to accept what you're doing, and to quit talking about your "new craze" or how you are "acting weird."  Bottom line: Others who talk to you about how your fitness kick is alarming them are really threatened by your happiness and your good health--because it tells them something about themselves--so just get over getting over what they have to say, smile, and move on1

2. Six meals, or 3 meals and 2 or 3 snacks. Look, ideally six small meals of the exact same size and makeup ARE ideal, but ideal lives in romance novels and the back of peoples' minds. If someone else can't get over their painful weight watchers experience and wants to feel more comfortable doing BFL by eating only 3 small meals and a couple of "snacks" a day, they just might still do well in this program. Not perfect, but no one else will do it perfectly either, so give up hammering on their "snacks" lingo and you'll have a better day for it!

3. EXTRAS! Extra cardio, extra abs, and extra free days happen along the way to many people--and nearly always to women. It's a combination of guilt, insecurity, and immaturity, but I promise you that you can't keep them from doing it no matter how much you talk about it. Most people know deep down that they don't see their abs because they've eaten 75000 gallons of ice cream in the last six months--but you can't stop them from trying out the latest and greatest abs boot camp crap! Don't worry--the people doing the "extras" will eventually either figure it out, or they will just drop out and head back to Ice Creamville where they came from. No amount of logic, tender encouragement or downright rudeness will dissuade them from their fantasies that adding extras will make up more quickly from past sins.

How do I know that fighting these battles is futile? I've been around BFL for ten years, and on the web page for 8. No matter what happens, the extras come around every day, and even though everyone listens politely to what you have to say about their "question" (which is actually a statement of the tweaks they intend to implement) they are going to disregard your advice! In a few days, you'll see a post that starts with, "I know I wasn't supposed to, but I couldn't help.........(fill in the blank here--jumping on the scales, doing extra abs, running 500 miles over the weekend, whatever!)"

So why even give good advice here? Well, mainly to ensure that ONE PERSON follows it--YOURSELF! There is something about committing your own intentions to writing that makes it easier to complete them. But, the bottom line is that if you expect more results than your own to follow from your advice---well, welcome to Human Nature 101!

• TOUCHE

• Great post BFLMike.

• Love it!!

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Yes, offering advise is one thing, helping others who are committed to this challenge to stay on track is another.

As far as results are concerned, my thought is each and everyone of us are on our own personal paths of discovery - about ourselves.

So, it stands to reason, no one is going to have identical mental strength, physical attributes, levels of inner transformations, nor outer transformations.

Thats the beauty of this thing. You get out of this, what you were willing to put in!

So, Mike, as usual, you are 100% spot on. I hope I can meet you some day.

As a grown man, it will be difficult to hold the tears back.

But, I am one of the ones who take good advice to heart, and make needed adjustments quickly to stay in step with something I have embraced.

So, advice and opinions are good for two things:

- For those who are searching and on a path of personal discovery, and want to stay focused and on track, and, willing to work hard and push themselves for a better life.

- For those who don't make it, or do not get the desired results - they can't say no one tried to steer them back on course.

And, yes, helping others who desire to stay on course, helps me to stay on course. It's a very useful tool.

It is WIN WIN.

But, there is one more thing, maybe the person who originally posted the question, or what they are planning to do that strays off course, may, as you said,  continue to deviate - but others who are following that thread may benefit by the advice and opinions that person ignored.

I agree whole heartedly agree about the "never ending battle". And, I imagine, I will be taking a few of them with me to the grave.

"What you put in, is what you are going to get back."

- Terry

• Good post Mike!

Love you some you...PERSEVERE!

• Love it!  So well stated!  Sometimes I feel like I am part of a secret club where I've been given confidential info....except  the info is there for everyone to use, it's just a matter of accepting the challenge!  I have learned to smile and move on, as you say, because the proof is in the pudding, baby!  Or the cottage cheese, in my case!  People can think I'm crazed as much as they want until I'm down to my goal weight and then they'll all be taking notes on what I did to achieve this....can't wait for that day!!!

• AMEN, CC.

"What you put in, is what you are going to get back."

- Terry

• Bump. :)