Just started - 7/9 - any input is helpful

• Here is the menu from my first day...Im trying to lose weight and get lean (not bulk up)...hence I'm trying to watch my calories.  Any advice on my day's diet would be greatly appreciated.  I called EAS and they told me to add an apple with the low carb shake (which I drank immediatley after I lifted @ 7:00am).  They also mentioned to drink the shake 30 minutes after I work out.  I'm 5'11, 205 and 45 years old.

Thanks

Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar
    Egg - Egg White Only, 2 white 34 0 0 8 110 0 Ico_delete
    Egg - Egg, Large , 1 large egg 72 0 5 6 71 0 Ico_delete
    Friehofer's - Stone Ground 100% Whole Wheat Bread, 1 slice 90 17 1 4 160 3 Ico_delete
    196 17 6 18 341 3
    Lunch
    Friehofer's - Stone Ground 100% Whole Wheat Bread, 2 slice 180 34 2 8 320 6 Ico_delete
    Sargento Deli - Swiss Cheese, 1 slice 70 0 5 5 35 0 Ico_delete
    Boar's Head - Ovengold Roasted Turkey Breast, 4 oz. 93 0 1 20 73 0 Ico_delete
    Oil - Olive, 1 tablespoon 119 0 14 0 0 0 Ico_delete
    462 34 22 33 428 6
    Dinner
    Publix - 9 oz Filet Mignon-Livestrong, 4.5 ounces 246 0 11 36 75 0 Ico_delete
    Homemade - Small Baked Potato With Skin*, 7 oz 128 29 0 3 0 0 Ico_delete
    Bird's Eye - Steamed Veggies: Broc, Caul, Carrots, 3/4 cup cooked 30 0 0 0 0 0 Ico_delete
    404 29 11 39 75 0
    Snacks
    Cd Protein - Eas Low Carb Protein Shake, 11 oz 110 4 3 17 280 0 Ico_delete
    Eas - Lean 15 Chocolate Mint Bar, 1 Bar 200 25 6 15 200 15 Ico_delete
    Cd Protein - Eas Low Carb Protein Shake, 11 oz 110 4 3 17 280 0 Ico_delete
    420 33 12 49 760 15

Totals 1,482 113 51 139 1,604 24
  • My advice, would be to follow the original book to a T.  Forget about the calories and eat good portion sizes.  I would eliminate the cheese, and replace the bread at at least one meal (if not both) with a better carb.  You're not getting much bang for your buck with the bread.  Don't worry about "bulking up."  If you eat the correct portion sizes, hit your 10's 3 times a week lifting and also 3 times a week on your 20 minute HIIT cardio, you'll lean right out just fine.  Very important to understand the why's behind everything and the book does a great job of expaining all of that.

Good luck, you can do this!

• Thanks Dave-. I read the book and, honestly, found some of the information very vague. Best times to eat, shakes vs bars vs food, etc. I am committed and appreciate the guidance. What do you suggest instead of bread- rice, fruit?

• Instead of bread I would suggest Oatmeal, brown or wild rice, sweet potato, or baked potato.  Whole fruit isn't bad either, and easy to get the correct portion size.  Your schedule will play a big part in dictating when you eat whole food meals instead of bars/shakes, so do what fits your schedule.  I like to have breakfast, lunch, and dinner as whole food meals.  When I'm home all day - like Sundays, I eat all 6 meals as whole food meals whenever possible.  Bars and shakes are convenient at work for my snack in between breakfast and lunch and then also between lunch and dinner.  Hope that helps a little.

• I am starting on Monday 7/15.  I have done BFL on and off over the years.  I agree with Dave. Oatmeal, sweet potato, lower sugar fruits.  For me, I need to keep bread to a minimum-it's easy to over do it!  Good luck!

• Bread and pasta don't agree with me and BFL.  I prefer brown rice and oatmeal.  I've heard tons of good things about sweet potatoes, but I don't like the darn things!  As for meals, I always begin with an actual meal, and alternate with shakes in between, except for the last meal of the day, where I'll eat actual food, since I'm at home and not at work.  Best of luck to you!

-Mike

• thanks everyone - I will try to go breadless next week.  I had sushi today on brown rice, just the fish and rice...not too bad.  When you mention oatmeal..is it just traditional oatmeal with water..any different options?  I have not had oatmeal in over 30 year.

• I would echo everything that's already been posted.  The calorie count strategy is good for anyone who is not making progress after 4 weeks of portion counting.  It just helps to identify some choices you might want to change.  If you do the calorie counting (most of my successful challenges have resulted from that strategy), I found the 40/40/20 ratio perfect.  But lots of folks do well with the portion method too.  As to bars, reading nutrient facts is very important.  Many bars tend to have a lot of sugar (spikes insulin and for some people sets off sugar cravings).  Best wishes on your journey to your best you!