Week 2 question

• I started the challenge on Monday, June 17. On Sunday, June 23, the scale revealed a 12 pound loss going from 332 to 320. I understand that a lot of this was probably water weight. However, the second week is up tomorrow, and I haven't lost a single pound. I have stuck to the plan religiously, followed the eating guidelines, worked out six days following the workout routines as described in the book? Should I be worried? Should I try something different?

• Keep doing what you're doing, sticking to the plan. A huge jump on the scale like that can happen in the first week if you start out heavy. It has happened to me before. I think it hapens because you flip flop from eating more calories and not burning many, to burning a lot everyday and eating fewer calories. The body is used to having to process more food on its own without the aid of exercise and you can lose a lot real quick at first, but it adjusts quickly. I could be wrong about the process. I have just noticed myself having experienced the same phenomenon as you described when I started being active ad eating better. It is not healthy to lose 10lbs a week on the regular (unless you are much, much heavier). You might lose a litle more than 2lbs a week starting above 300lbs. It will feel like its melting off more than the number will go down.

Just make sure you are not eating more than 2,000 calories a day or whatever is the healthy number for you, and you will start to feel like a snowman in Texas!

• Keep on trucking along!  The first time I did BFL (2002?) I quit a couple weeks in because not only was I not losing, but I gained a little.  I finally did a complete challenge a few yrs ago with great results.  They were slow in the beginning month or so, but I believed in the process and committed myself fully.  I had great results.  I am doing another challenge right now, and in week 9.  This time results were very painfully slow.  Measurements even going up some weeks.  Scale being evil.  I could have easily thrown in the towel and said it wont work this time.  But I didn't.  I know it works, you just have to be patient.  Your body is in shock right now!  Stay the road, and it wont lead you wrong.  Oh, and if I may suggest, try only weighing in every three weeks.  This helps me greatly.  Free your mind of the number!  Focus on how you're feeling, and how your clothes are fitting.  Results are coming, you're well on your way!

• Thanks to you both.  The way I'm feeling will keep me going. My close are already fitting a little looser in the belly, a little tighter, up top. Sleepless, this is also my second time through. I was single then, and excelled at the challenge. My book is a first edition, that's how long it's been. I know that since I'm older now my body won't react like a 28 year old. You're right, Sleepless, I should be weighing every few weeks instead of every Sunday morning. I know better than that.

Good luck to you both and God Bless. I'll check back in a week. Thanks again.

• Clothes

• Dont use the scale for a while.  Use the mirror as your guide.

Tis better to look UP in the mirror to be inspired than to look DOWN at the scale and lose your desire!! - SEM

• I use the scale weekly.  You simply cannot let it get into your head.  Yes, it can do wonders for your self esteem when it gives you a big number, but sucks when it gives you a bad number.  I've had weeks where I've actually gained weight.  Yes, it's a crummy feeling for the moment, but you have to use it as motivation to make you work harder.  In reality, you may or may not have had a bad week.  Most likely, your body just responded in a different manner other than weight loss.  Maybe in building muscle.  Take measurements too.  I measure my stomach and waistline every week too.  That helps, as the week I gained a pound, I had lost a 1/2 inch on my stomach and my waist.  That told me that I simply gained muscle that week, while losing fat.  That's how the body works.  The best advice to give is stick to the plan.  If you stick to the plan, the way the book lays it out, you will see results.  If you don't see results, you didn't stick to the plan.  Good luck!

-Mike