Start date: July 1st 2013 - Plan and preperation - first post

• Very excited to start this program! I have read the book Body for Life and i must say I'm very motivated and cant wait to begin! I have begun planning and stocking food. My income is limited (about $1000/mo total) so one of my goals is to prove that this program can be completed on a very tight budget. At the moment I can not afford a starter pack or even a case of Myoplex. Im saving up for a starter pack. I do have a 5lb bag of protein that was donated to me. Also i have a 10lb bag of long grain rice that was donated to me. I have done a lot of research and found a lot of great recipes that I will be sharing on this forum. This positive change of life is much needed. Once the 12 weeks has been completed my focus will be to continue. My plan for doing this is by volunteering my time to help others accomplish health and fitness. About me: 32 years young, 5'11, 174 lbs. Father of 4 beautiful girls. I have never been in shape or worked out in my life. Im sick and tiered of being sick and tiered. When i get home from my job as a cashier, my feet,legs and back ache, my energy level is none existent and my confidence level is low. I dont sleep well. I smoked for 15 years, a pack a day, in preparation for this life change i have completely quit. As of today i have been smoke free for 21 days. I will post my before pics and measurements shortly befor my start date, July 1st 2013.
  • Welcome! Glad you are starting and found the forums.

First of all, congratulations on quitting smoking!!!! 21 days is a long time for a pack a day smoker. Do you have any advice for someone who wants to quit? I am all ears for that.

I can tell you from experience that eating according to the book can save A LOT of money on food. My husband keeps a detailed budget and he could pobably tell you percisely how much we save every month. The extra money enables us to get the 12 packs of the myoplex shakes at Sams Club for the two of us, since he has decided to do the program with me after seeing it make a dfference in my life.

Way to go on preparing and deciding to make the change. It is a great example you are setting for your girls. My dad was the one who first showed me this program, and I am very thankful for the example he set for living a healthy lifestyle.

• Newme2013!  That is so awesome that you have the support of your family and friends to help you with your goals. I can predict that with your positive attitude and the ability to lay off the nicotine, which will, by the way, give you more money to spend on your new you, you are definitely a success in the making!

• Greetings Newme2013,  And Congratulations for making the first steps towards a lifetime of better habits and improved health and energy.  Remember there is a reason it is called a challenge but there isn't a challenge that can't be met and conquered if you have the determination and resolve like you have indicated already. Keep Moving Forward and I am sure you will be proud and surprised with the results and benefits.

• Thank you all for your support! I believe in terms of motivation that your support and the support of others is essential. Since my last post I have become homeless. As unfortunite as that sounds its more of a blessing. It has given me the real feeling of starting over. This is the end of day 2 and so far i have followed my meal plan eating mostly lowfat can goods like turkey, tuna and salmon for protein and fresh produce. Whole wheat bread and oatmeal. I found an amazingly beautiful running trail along the ocean right next to my gym. I took full advantage of this and the whole 3.2 miles. Upperbody went well too. Im blessed with a very well equiped gym. My whole body achs. Honestly I can harly wait to do my first day of lower body tomorrow. One thing is for sure...I sleep a lot better now. Still no tobacco! I will have some pics comming in a day or two.

• Triggers are the biggest obstacle to quitting anything, including smoking. The chemical addiction leaves the body after 48 hrs (give or take the individual) but the habit takes much much longer.  

Smoking is a learned or conditioned behavior.  It is easy to incorporate smoking into almost any daily activity.  You may smoke on your moring drive, waiting for the train/bus, after lunch, on break before lunch, between class, when you drink, at a game, with "sue or Bob."  YOu have unconsciously trained your mind to believe it is the natural time to light up when you are in this position.  

To help overcome the habit, you can remove the triggers or recondition your behavior to NOT smoke in these circumstances.  It is harder to do the latter, but it is usually not practicle to remove all the triggers.  Things that may help include a new/differnt car, standing at the bus or train station in a diferent spot, change your lunch routine, find another activity for break, go to a different bar/house for the game, asking Sue or Bob no not smoke in your presence (or atleast quietly sneak out so you don't see them and trigger an urge).

Find out what your triggers are and then see how you can recondition your behavior.  Good Luck and expect mishaps but don't accept them.

• Thank you for the reply. 38 days no nicotine!

• Still doing the program. Feels great! First week was hard. I was sore all over all week! Today is the first day of the second week. Did my run this morning. It was great. Eating has been a little rough due to the fact that i dont have a stove to cook on.Hers one pic.