Pants getting tighter!??

• Is anyone else experiencing tighter pants at the beginning?  I am in week 5 and today I had an awesome Hiit but when I went to put my jeans on, that I haven't worn in a while, they were SO tight.  I carry my excess weight in the bum/leg area, and I feel leaner up top, but can't understand how my legs can get bigger!!!

I know this program works, and I felt so great after my workout, but putting these jeans on really upset me.  I don't weigh myself but instead judge by how my clothes fit.  I feel better and my booty feels more lifted and firmer, but how can I feel encouraged when my pants are getting tighter?  And not just these pants, all of them.

Need help or encouraging words : (

• Awe I experienced this myself this week. My pants were feeling SO loose, then all of a sudden I felt huge again because everything was so tight!!  I ran on the treadmill for the first time in years, and afterwards I felt blown up like a balloon! My husband was an avid runner before, and he said that sometimes the increased intensity of cardio, especially running, can cause the body to retain a bunch of water. It can be sort of a shock to the body. He assured me that my body would get used to it if I keep it up and drink lots of water.

I am glad you shared this because I was feeling so discouraged this week, its good to know I am not alone. It is really awesome to see you reaching out for help when you encounter hurdles. I know you've had a lot to overcome and I am actually inspired to keep going when I think of you.

• Oh yeah, and I felt the muscles in my lower body being much stronger and firmer too! I would say that made me feel much better about the whole thing.

• I tend to gain muscle in my legs FIRST and lose fat in my legs LAST, so my legs do get bigger when I start exercising.  Especially if I am doing lots of squats.  But they look more defined and feel leaner, so I try not to worry about it.  

• As I understand, when you start doing more exercise, your body begins storing more fuel in your muscle cells, where it can be used easily and quickly to fuel your workouts. The process of converting glucose (carbohydrates) into fuel that your muscles actually store and use (glycogen) requires three molecules of water for every molecule of glucose. As your muscles are building up glycogen stores, your body has to retain extra water for this purpose. That's what causes most of the initial weight gain or lack of weight loss. This is a good thing—not something to worry about. Keep up the great work!

Carolyn Aragon

Body-for-LIFE Champion 2012, Women 46+

• Thanks for some words of encouragement.  I wanted to believe this is all true but it seems like there are so few like me and everyone else just shrinks when they work out, while I feel bigger.  I do have to admit that my legs feel so amazingly strong - they have never been this hard, and they have shape, instead of 2 sticks with layers of cellulite on them, even on my knees :( - now my legs are the same size or a little bigger, but they are firm and I would feel comfortable wearing shorts....it is just the idea that clothes that used to be loose are tight - it is discouraging after all the effort.

I have started writing down calories again - I tried to do it without, and just using the bfl method, but feel I don't go overboard when noting calories.  This also reassures me that I am doing everything I can be doing.....

I had a couple of weeks where I have been off BFL midset and have even stopped counting the days/weeks, but I am continuing. For me it is lifelong changes I want to make and so the number of days isn't so important to me...