Starting Monday 1st April. Join me for the challenge!!

• Wow Merlin, when I read your post, I had to double check it wasn't mine!  This is my third challenge as well.  I am doing BFL  because I have gained some weight after tearing a labrum in my hip doing triathlons.  Strangely enough, I can still run without much pain, but cycling is now out of the question.  I'm building up sick time (and the nerve) to get my hip fixed.  Until then, BFL for me!  I'm in week 4, and am very pleased with my results so far.  I've lost 7 lbs, and am getting much stronger already.  I love this program!

• Had a solid UBW did incline barbell as the major lift

• Hey Macie!  I am still in!  I really make an effort to post at least on Friday nights. I want to post more, I just didn't have much  free time during the past week.  I am doing great.  This is my second challenge so its really week 14 for me and will do my first official weigh in of Challenge #2 on Sunday.  I am really happy with the way my body is reshaping itself and I know by end of June I will be looking forward to wearing shorts!!!  

I made the best BFL approved meal yesterday.  Grilled marinated Flank Steak, cilantro lime rice (2 Cups cooked Brown Rice, mix in 1 TBS cilantro and 1 TBS Lime juice) topped with corn salsa (2 Cups grilled frozen corn and 1-1/2 chopped pablano peppers in a pie tin. Once done, mix in 1 TBS minced red onion and 1/2 tsp cilantro and a splash of lime juice.) Yummolisious!  Simarly, one of my most favorite meals is grilled chicken breast and brown rice with sauteed banana peppers, onions and mushrooms on top.  So simple but SO GOOD!

When I started BFL in January I could barely do 1 pushup from my knees without great effort.  A few weeks after I started I set a personal goal to be able to do 5 REAL pushups with good form.  Today I reached that goal!!  So excited.  I have a reminder in my room that says "Have you done your pushup today?" and so I practice everyday.  That 5th pushup was extremely difficult.  It was only my desire to reach that goal that pushed me to finish strong.  So if you haven't set any personal short term goals, now would be a good time!   My new goal is to do 10 pushups!  

If at first you don't succeed, try try again!

Sally-for-Life!

• Sally!!  Good to see you - I've been wondering how you are.  Glad to see you are still in it - was hoping everyone is just busy.  I have not tried doing a push up, really tweaked my elbow and shoulder lifting my mom a few months back.  Trying to carefully build strength without injuring myself, I don't know if I could still do one or not.

Regarding my shoulder - I could actually see the difference between shoulders when I had my "rear"  before picture taken.  My left shoulder is lower and softer looking than my right, so one goal is to get that strengthened.  It seems to be happening as part of the program and can tell a difference even after only 2 weeks.  Yesterday my mom was unable to get out of bed, so helping her and lifting her did not hurt and I felt stronger, but was still very careful.  My greatest fear is getting knocked out by some sort of injury and using that as an excuse to go back to old habits.  This challenge truly is a mindset in that regard.

Have a great weekend everyone!!

• Yesterday was my free day.  My intention was to remain fairly healthy but eat more at each meal to increase calories, have some of the healthier foods I enjoy but are not on my list.  Did good and was well satisfied with what I had - until the very end of my day.  It was a rough day as my mom was not feeling well and very concerned for her all day, very stressful.  Feeling responsible, questioning my decision making on her medications and treatment, wondering if I am doing the right thing by her.  After she was in bed for the night I sat on the couch and ate chocolate covered pretzels and ice cream.  

Of course today I feel terrible!  I know we have our free day so we can enjoy a few treats, but surely bingeing out like that was not the intention of the program.  I can be somewhat of an "all or nothing" type personality and perhaps use this as an excuse to give up - but I'm here to say IT'S NOT HAPPENING!

I'm getting ready to do my cardio workout - I will learn new, healthy ways to deal with the stress!  Gardening my heart and telling myself it's okay to feel stress, it's natural to be afraid and cry, that I'm doing the best that I can to take care of my mom and sometimes life is what it is - not easy.  I'm standing firm in my faith and trusting God will take care of her.  Letting go and letting God.  I truly feel his hand was in this - leading me to this program to sustain me for what is a very difficult time.  I knew it when I started - so I will move on and continue on.  I'll let you know how the cardio does for me......

• Okay - Here I am, back again after my cardio workout.  Boy do I feel great!!  My mind is clear and made a few decisions I can feel good about.

1.  Thanks for listening....I know this really isn't the place for this kind of stuff, so am planning on starting a support thread for people who are in the midst of some difficult times.  A place for us to vent so I'm not doing it here.  Of course I am committed to our group and will continue to post on workout progress and also enjoy seeing how you are doing.  I've never started a thread before, new to this, but thinking it would be most appropriate under "The Abyss".  Will entitle it - Reflections.

2.  I'll talk to my mom's doctor about the medications at her appointment on Tuesday.  I cannot feel responsible for determining her medications and dosages.  I'm going to drive myself nuts if I do!

3.  Although it was my free day, I totally used it to pig out and I wasn't even hungry.  I was quite satisfied with the foods I ate for my free day - so this was emotional eating.  The next time I feel as though I want to eat due to stress, I will go for a walk on the treadmill and do some stretching.  As I found out this morning - there is nothing like a little exercise to clear the mind and put things into perspective!!

I hope you all come back soon!!  Hope you are having a great weekend!!

• Good Morning Macie!  This BFL plan is a process. And your last 2 posts were a perfect picture of that process!  You did good.  Would you have reflected on your "emotional" eating and make a decision to "exercise" instead if you had not been doing BFL?  Would you have gotten on the treadmill to clear your mind to the point where you were able to make good decisions about your mothers health?  I think your faith has indeed led you here.  I know mine did and its working for me. Not just losing body weight, but losing emotional and mental weight too.  I also think your idea to start a thread for others struggling with difficult times was great and trust me, I will be there!  :)  Hang in there, your free day is your free day.  You can eat, you can not eat, its up to you and your journey!  You did good Macie!  I think you will be an inspiration to others and you already have.  As a mother of a daughter that I love to pieces, I can tell you, I would not want to feel like I was burdening my daughter. I know that she would want to do whatever she could for me though.  I think she would just want you to do the best that you can and let the doctors and God handle the rest.  You are a good daughter and I think she must be proud of you.  One thing that I do when I want to eat for stress, I just eat another "clean" meal.  Having a few protein bars in different flavors (peanut butter-chocolate and choc mint are my faves) or some turkey bacon on a sandwich thin with a light coating of lite cream cheese can usually kill the brains message to satisfy a craving.  And when I eat the 6 meals a day I rarely experience those cravings anymore.

Sally-for-Life!

• Thank you so much Sally - what you said is entirely true, all of it, but most especially the part about not wanting to be a burden.  I'm sure that is the last thing my mom would ever want for me.

Managed to figure out how to start the thread, quite easy really!  Looking forward to seeing you there and here!!

• Morning everybody and welcome to Week 3!!! Congrats to all making it here.

Great posts Macie. Sally is right, that it is a process that can be challenging. 12 weeks may seem easy at first, but it is difficult to lose old habits, and easy to revert back to old ways without even thinking about it. Stressful situations definitely have that effect. I find when I'm under stress, the last place I want to go is the gym, however, ironically, it is probably the best place to be because you get the endorphin high after it that makes you feel good.

I started my free day (Sunday) on Saturday afternoon instead. Had lunch in the city with a friend, and ate some 'extras'. Also porked out a bit that night, also with the icecream. Yesterday though, my actual free day I did a light bike session and just cut back to 4 meals, so nothing to bad.

Congrats Sally on the push-ups!! A great achievement. You should be able to reach 10 of them much faster than the time it took to hit 5. Well done!!

To surfslacker. I also tore my labrum, training for my first triathlon. I had the arthroscope and the Dr told me cycling was over for me. However that was about 10 years ago, and I find that through exercising properly I'm regaining strength, that oneday I will make it back on. Probably not on a road bike, but more upright on a mountain bike. So Xterra is a good candidate. Perhaps you could aim for that one once better.

I had a really good upper body workout this morning. I love doing the upper body (probably a guy thing), and I had some more slight increases in weights which is a good feeling. Shoulder pressing 18kg dumbbells was pretty cool, and bench pressing 26kg dumbbells also were new highs.

• Week 3--- let's do this!

Killed smith machine squats at 6:30am this morning.  Thank you AC/DC... since my workout partner was a no show, I needed something to get me going.

• Haha! I had AC/DC "Thunderstruck" as my power song this morning.

• Sorry! Posted in the wrong forum :)

• Go week 3!!  

Guess I'm going to have to try some AC/DC while working out!  

Thanks for the support Tim - yes, so true - changing habits and forgiving myself, moving on when I do revert -- just thinking about how important that is as I have a tendency to go for perfection and give up when I make a mistake.  Crazy huh?!  

• LBWO done duel time the much needed rest

• Last night I took delivery of some new workout equipment!!  I am doing a heart rate recovery fitness test this morning.....