Cottage Cheese Club

• Where you at CC'ers, not named Gilmer?  By the way, nice FB photo Justin.

UBWO this morning.  Didn't get to hit shoulders because I got going a little late.  May sneak a shoulder workout in on my "off day" this weekend.

Yes, I'm doing 20 minutes HIIT based on the BFL design 3 days a week.  For the next two weeks, I'll do very little cardio, then back to BFL for 2 weeks.

I never took C3 beginning pictures... or C2 ending pictures for that matter.  So I won't be a part of the actual competition.  I am down 6lbs so far!  I'm thinking I may get a little lighter, hopefully that means a little leaner than I did with C1.  I'm at 189 right now and that's only 2lbs heavier than I ended C1.  If I get down to 180 and look skinny-fat instead of ripped, I'm not sure what my plan D, E, or F will be.

• Good Morning all...It's Sunday and didn't get a workout in all week. Was packing and moving and now all DONE. I got up at 8:30 am and was out the door for a walk.  I walked 2000 steps in 20 minutes. I don't know how many calories I burned but to me I was moving. I ate BF before I left.  I am so proud of myself...cause it's never been done before.

JR thanks for the info. on photo's, haven't tried it out yet. Just have my before photo's on and that's it.

Can't stay here, got a party to plan for the day. Starts at 2 pm and I got to go... Hope all have a great day! Will be back later.

Laurie

• Hey guys!!  Getting ready to start Phase II of my training which will be pyramid training - pushing heavy iron.  The reps go from as high as 20 to as low as 2.  Hopefully, I will be able to handle it.  Had my elbow drained for the second time Friday - this time mostly blood - blech.  Now being referred to an ortho. They think I may need to have bursa removed. Fun.

Spent the last 3 days of last week at our annual statewide company meeting.  Really nice - at the Marriott Resort on Horeshoe Bay.  Yes, lot's of great food and beer and even some jello shots.  I have not weighed but I probably picked up a few pounds........hey, when in Rome.  Did get two good days of swimming in over the weekend so I wasn't a complete sloth.   After the first two weeks, weight is right at 200, prob 204 after trip.  I have gained some size but I have also been less strict in the diet.   Despite all that, results from my lab test (company wellness exam from last Wed came back and were very good.

Glucose -- 85; normals 70-100 -- measures for diabetes

Cholesterol - 144; normal is less than 200

Triglyceride -- 41; normal is less than 150

HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol) -- 59; normal is between 40-60

LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol) -- 77; normal is less than 129

Non HDL cholesterol -- 85; normal is less than 159

So, for the most part I'm doing pretty good.  Just need to tighten it up a little.

Laurie, congrats on your walk.  Always a big boost when hit a new high.

Jr - no pics for me either.  Going to start adding HIITs as I am up about 6 or so pounds.  I have done very cardio over the Iast 4 weeks, but don't feel like I look any different.  

Justin, those were great pics you posted.

Gina, good to see you're back among the working.

Shorty - looking good in the wedding pic! 

Have a great Monday CCers!  Don't know if I'll be able to post tomorrow.  Since I've worked very little since last Wed, gonna be a bear tomorrow.  On top of that, will likely have to take Char for a root canal.  She's only had about 5 of them over the years.  The endodontist should have a wing named after us for all the money we've paid him. 

David

• Hi Guys, I mean everyone... I helped my mom get a big birthday party together for her today. She turned 85 and all her kids came and her friends. It turned out pretty good. She wanted to have a party at her house and there must of been 25 people and children. She was so excited to see everyone and she cried.  My mom is not a person who sits around, she is very active.  We are taking her to Jackpot to go gambling tomorrow.  Any way we had lots of food and I tried to eat a little, but I had to have a piece of cake.  It was carrot cake, mmmmmgooood.  Well like I said this morning, I walked a lot. I went out for a second walk tonight to get some of those calories down. I walked over 30 minutes. I will sleep good tonight. Walking is not my thing, but if I can master it, I will keep trying.  I can't see you all on FB, so what ever you all are up to, keep going.  Be back soon.

Laurie

• What a weekend!  Ava's 7th birthday was a smash!  The ol diet wasn't nearly as clean as it shoud have been on Saturday and Sunday.  Saturday was really bad for me.  I didn't get to do my cardio and ate bad food all day long.  I don't even want to know how many calories I consumed.  I tried to make up for it on Sunday.  I rode my bike 15.6 miles and did yard work.  I was pretty good on my diet until my family brought the birthday cake and ice cream back out.  I had another chunk of cake and a bowl of ice cream.  :(  I think I have it all out of my system now though...  

Okay...  I got this week started off right with a nice chest and triceps workout.  I followed it up with a 20 minute stair climb that burned off 351 calories of the junk food I ate this weekend.  I don't feel like I'm getting any stronger lately.  I'm not having problems with recovery, I'm just not able to add weight.  I think it's because I've been going to complete failure every set and then doing drop sets until I'm totally wiped out.  By the time I even get to my second set I barely get the reps I used to.  I guess I'm going to say that a minute or so isn't enough recovery time between sets, but I'm kind of limited to that amount of time to squeeze all of the work into the amount of gym time I have available.

Yeah....  The picture my wife posted on FB was the summer after our first year in college.  I blew up like a freaking balloon that year.  My cousin made a comment that I was smaller than that when we went on vacation a couple of years ago.  That was a true statement.  Lots of beer and pizza took its toll on my body......

Laurie- Congrats on getting the move over with and getting right back on the program.  Sounds like your family had fun at the party.  Hope you won some money too!

David- Tell me more about the program you're doing.  How many exercises per body part, how many sets to get from 20 reps down to 2 reps, how much rest between sets?  All that good info.  Sorry your elbow is still giving you trouble, and that your wife is having a root canal!  Yikes!!  Also...  You better get those pictures taken.

JR- You could take the pics now and extend the program a couple of weeks.  What do you think about the strength problem I mentioned above?

Gina/Shorty/Sharon-  Where in the world are you ladies?

• David-  I forgot to mention how awesome those health stats are.  You might live forever man!

• David-  Your stats are off the freakin' charts!!!!  You're healthier than most 18-year-olds!

Justin- my only thoughts on your lifting program are the same as my thoughts for David.  Beware of over-training.  Not just for injuries sake, but its also not the most efficient way to make gains.  Yes, you need to tear the muscles down and work to failure.  But failure and drop sets everyday for an extended period of time can lead to a dead end.  When you plateau, there is little room to improve (you can't work any hard to bust through it).  I'd try mixing that type of workout for 2-3 weeks with a workout that reaches failure with each exercise (like BFL) rather than each set for 2 weeks.  If you are happy and not hurting now, great!  But, that can't go on forever.

As for my workout, I'm weak as hell.  Finally got back to free weight bench press and decline this morning.  Loved the workout, but my weights are weak.  That stupid Smith machine at Planet Fitness has killed my bench press.  185lbs was a real struggle for 4-6 reps.  It felt like the first time back to lifting after an extended break.  I hope to get it back soon, but it's hard to push it without many people around to grab a spotter.  I may have to try evenings to see if its more crowded.

Calories ramp up a bit this week too, going to try to stay clean though.  I'm not off to a great start.  I've only had about 650 calories and it's already 10:30.

• I didn't know that PF wouldn't let people do bench press without a smith machine.  I have seen that people have to do squats and deadlifts in them though, so I guess it makes sense that they would make people do their bench lifts in them as well.  I kind of wish we had one at my gym.  I never have a spotter, so I pretty much have to rerack the weight when I know I might not be able to get the next rep, wait a couple of seconds and then finish.  I wouldn't have thought that it would have made that much difference though.  How much more were you able to do in the smith machine?

• Yea, PF does not have any free weights, except dumbbells up to 60lbs.  So if you're going to do a barbell bench press, it's going to be on the Smith.  It's not a bad piece of equipment, but it should supplement free weights, not replace them!

My last set of bench on the Smith was generally about 205lbs, sometimes with a good spotter I'd struggle with 3-4 reps of 215.  The biggest difference is that the bar can only move in one plane, so you don't have to stabilize the weight as much.  Over time, I think those smaller muscle groups tend to fade a little because they are not being used as much (for balance and stability).  Also your form goes to hell (being able to hold heavy weight in the same plane over and over is important).  

It's 1:30 and I'm still a little shaky from my 7am workout!

• Whazzzzz up CC peeps!! This girl isn't neglecting you all, just busy as h-e-double-hockey-sticks. Left the office after a 13 hour day yesterday - that hasn't happened for a while but things are getting cray-cray! In a good way though, and I friggin' love it...Yes, my name is Shorty and I am a work-a-holic. Well, I take that back - it's not alllll good. Confession time: I didn't get my workout in yesterday. So that means I'll be doubling up either tonight or tomorrow. Ain't no thang - I've got my new designer jeans staring at me when I'm home (which are a bit snug...but will fit soon) and you can bet your sweet don-kees that I want to wear those SOON. I'm also sticking to the diet which is more-than-half my battle!

Looks like you all are doing great. David's the pillar of health (go D!!), Jr's got the shakes...in a fantastic way (go Jr!!), Justin is owning the machines, ahh and after lifting, like a mo fo (go Justin!!), and Laurie is burning up the walking like no other (yeah Girl!! Twice in one day = money!). Gina, I know you're out there just being awesome - duh, but check in sister! I did, so now you have to. Ha!

But now I must go...I'm starting to get the shakes from work-withdrawal. Have great days!

• 30 minute (4.2 mile) run on the elliptical this morning that zapped 456 calories folled up with an intense ab routine.  My legs are still holding up just fine with the daily cardio.  So far I've had no problems at all at the 3.5 week mark.  

My chest and triceps are really feeling yesterday's workout.  I have a soreness that feels like it's pretty deep in the muscle tissue.  It doesn't hurt, I can just tell it's sore.  I'm really liking putting more time in per body part.  I used to only get sore in part of a muscle and now the whole thing gets sore if that makes sense.  I think I'll continue the program just like this until this challenge is over and then go to a split that will hae me lifting every day.  Instead of chest and triceps in one day and back and biceps on another I'm going to go Monday-Chest; Tuesday-Back, Wednesday-Legs, Thursday-Shoulders, Friday-Arms and see how that goes.

• Shorty!  We cross posted.  I was getting worried about you!  I thought you had been kidnapped or something.  Glad to know you're okay.  Those pants will fit in no time.  13hr work day, AND YOU LIKED IT!?  That's some strange stuff right there, but I guess if you love what you do....  Be sure to keep in touch!

• GO JUSTIN!!! Cross post - and you hit message #700 - woop woop! Keep killing it...seriously, NICE FRIGGIN JOB!!! Thanks for worrying about me, Dad :) And yes, I'm weird in that I love working so much. I definitely have my days, though. I know, I know, I have to get better with checking in - even if I throw out one line messages, I.HAVE.TO.DO.IT.

• Sweet, a Shorty check-in.  We could all use a little more Shorty in our lives.  Coincidentally--- how tall are you Shorty?  From the few pics I've seen you don't look short at all.  Now Gina... ;)

Planned my workout for this evening after work.  I want to see what the PM shift looks like at the gym.  Cooking Jambalaya tonight after the workout... it's freaking awesome.  I think I may have shared before:

Chicken & Chicken Sausage Jambalaya

1.75 lb chicken breasts 0 168 14

1 lb chicken sausage 5 75 40

1 1/2 c. long grain brown rice 68 8 3

1 green pepper 5 1 0

1/2c diced onion 7 1 0

1 can diced tomatoes 20 3 0

basil 0 0 0

oregano 0 0 0

worcestershire sauce 0 0 0

paprika 0 0 0

salt 0 0 0

black pepper 0 0 0

Total 105 256 57

6 servings 18 43 10  (that's 18g carbs, 43g protein, 10g fat/serving)

• Ola mi amigos!!  Yes, a Shorty check-in! Everybody needs a Shorty check-in!  

Yeah, Shorty!  How tall are you? Inquiring minds want to know.  I think I have shrunk and am no longer 6 ft anymore - oh well.  They measured me a little over 5'11" last week.  Guess you do shrink some as you age or maybe I was never 6' to begin with.  At least my doc measured me there when I was 16 yrs old.

Shorty - bet you won't be staring at those disigner jeans very long.  What brand designer jeans are they?

Justin - you are my cardio hero.  I am going to increase my cardio (won't be too hard as I'm basically doing nearly zilch).  To answer your question, I'm doing Corey Gregory's  16 week muscle building Get Swole workout.  My oldest son sent it to me.   Phase 1 was primarily setting foundation (lots of volume and supersets with little rest). Phase 2 is the pyramid phase.  I did legs this morning:

Barbell Squats - 5 sets of 20, 15, 12, 10, 8 reps  (115, 135, 185, 205, 225).  I started off a little light just to be safe b/c I wasn't sure what to use with that many reps.  I will be able to increase some next week. 

Leg press - 5 sets of 20, 15, 12, 10, 8 reps (350, 395, 485, 575, 665 - 6 plates each side)

Leg extensions - 4 sets of 25, 15, 10, 10 reps (100, 120, 130, 150)

Seated leg curl - 4 sets of 20, 15, 10, 5 reps (110, 130, 150, 175)

Calves - 4 sets of 25, 20, 25, 20 reps (305, 355, 305, 355, 305) will try standing next time

Really focusing on good form (going low on squats and presses).  Trying to keep rest time less than one minute if I can. Sometimes its hard when changing out plates.

Plan to do chest and back tonight.

JR- can't believe how much PF lacked in equipment.  Not a fan of smith machine either.  I'm sure after 4 weeks of having to use lighter weight on bench, I will be struggling tonight.  Nothing beats free weights and I will continue to do them as long as I can.  Don't know too many around gym (at least close to my age, that mess with much more than 135lbs on squats).

Well, back to the salt mines.  While I did not work 13 like Shorty, I wasn't too far behind.  Bet I didn't enjoy it as much as she did.

Wonder how many calories one burns when "twerking?"

Have a great day CCers!!

David