Cottage Cheese Club

• JR- good weight on bench....especially with what you have gone through.  I'm at about the same point on my bench but have not had any neck surgery.  About 4 years ago, I could rep 275 5 times, but then strained shoulder and went to doing lighter weight and generally circuits.  Now, I finishing with 205lbs and can do 5 or 6.  I'm a little older than you (49) but have similar goals for C2.  Is your push/pull routine something you designed since you are a licensed personal trainer?  I am starting my second challenge 4/29 and not certain what type of workouts to do.  I have some to pick from (Men's Health Big Book) and Men's Fitness.  Did BLF pretty much by the book and was failrly pleased with results, but ready to take it up a notch.

Impressed with your diet plan -- a lot of protein.  Agree on the greek yogurt by the way.

David

• David- thanks for checking-in.  Looks like you've done a lot of homework, I see you pulled parts from several posts for your questions.  I got away from the heavy lifting for a while too, ventured into more cardio and higher rep weight training, that I never had the same passion for.  As a result I didn't work out nearly as much, and my health really declined.

My current workout routine is a mixture of my favorite aspects of several routines.  For instance, I love the warm-up set 50-60% for each exercise used with BFL, and I love hitting a 10 for each exercise.  But, when you really want to build maximum strength, I prefer lifting in the 6-8 rep range. I also don't like that BFL only works each muscle group 1 time per workout, and only 1 time every 4-5 days.

The push/pull routine is based on the idea that when you work certain muscles as the primary movers in an exercise, there are complimentary muscles that work with the same movement.  For instance, when you do a pull-up the primary mover is the lats, but your biceps are working at the same time (these are pull muscles).  So it makes sense to group these muscles together so that they are getting adequate rest between workouts.  Same is true for chest and triceps (extension or push muscles).  Pull muscles work when the resistance phase of an exercise is when the movement is coming toward the midpoint of your body (Back, Biceps, Traps).  Push muscles are exactly the opposite (Chest, Triceps, Deltoids).

My current routine is basically, 1 warm-up set (10-12 reps), followed by 3 sets of 6-8 reps (shooting for 9s and 10s).  I do 2 exercises for every muscle group, and I start with compound exercises then move to isolation exercises.  I lift 6 days a week, do each workout twice, and try to add a day of 30-45 minutes of cardio on one of the weekend days.

UBWO Push:  Bench Press, Incline DB Press, Cable Flies, Standing Military Press, Nose-breakers, Tricep Kickbacks

UBWO Pull:  Cable Pulldowns, Cable Rows, Upright Rows, Lateral DB Raises (SS with Shrugs), Hammer Curls, Concentration Curls

Legs:  Squats, Deadlift, Standing Calf Raise (Smith Machine), Leg Extension, Leg Curl, Seated Calf Raise

I've got the Men's Health Big Book in my library too.  That book has some good information, but there is a ton to wade through.  It really illustrates the difficulty of trying to fit a workout that is suited for everyone's goals into one book.  The result is a total mess (in my opinion).

• Hello CCers! 

Sue, so true on how fast time goes. Ooooh before we know it, we'll all be strutin' around with our fab bodies :) I haven't been taking pictures every week - just every 4 weeks. I haven't compared the first two side x side yet as I don't want to see little improvement and get discouraged :) Have you been doing weekly photos? As for the skirt, it's hanging on my door, reminding me every day that I want to look cute in it come summertime. And score on the jeans!!! Nice work sister!!! Wa hoooooooooooo!

Jr, sheesh your comeback from surgery is quite amazing to say the least. My dad may have to get that surgery and I know he is hesitant because it is so serious. I'm sharing your story with him - incredible!!

G, yeah girl, how was Chicago?? What's happenin' sistah?

And all this talk of golf makes me want to get out on the course sooooooo badly! F'ing crap weather needs to be d.o.n.e. As for Tiger, eh, I'm not a fan. He's great and all but I'm over him...I love the guys who have great attitudes to go along with their skill. Makes it much more enjoyable to watch!

Workout planned: Running w/ inclines @ 5

Foods planned: 1. Greek yogurt + pineapple + coffee 2. cottage cheese + watermelon 3. peanut butter on wheat 4. 2 string cheese + orange 5. BFL Pancakes 6. Protein shake

Obstacles you have to overcome today: Woke up with friggin' cold but I'm not going to let it stop me!

Help you need or some great tips you want to share: Sue, great recipe with the greek yogurt. I'm soooo going to try that. I can't eat the yogurt plain, but I love it mixed with fruit and now this dip you speak of sounds fantastic! By far the best brand of GY is Fage. My tip for the day: if you're looking for a great hamstring exercise, try the Hamstring Ball Curls, which can be found in the tools/exercise animation section. It was challenging for this gal and I definitely feel it today!

Positive statement about yourself: Keep pushing yourself…nice job changing up the workout - feel the burn baby!

• I'm back!!! Hi :-)

Week 8. What a time to fall off the BFL wagon.... :-( I told you last week I was struggling a bit--I had a couple tiny cheats, but missed 2 HIITs. I did keep up on my weights though, so there's that. Ok so this week.....Monday was ok--got my workout in, ate well. Then Tuesday/Wednesday and a business trip to Chicago came along....And I just went PLOP off the wagon. I didn't do HIIT before we left in the morning, I took MAJOR advantage of the open bar/ballpark foods on the VIP rooftop deck at the Cubs game. Not to mention the Hancock Building beforehand...But you know what? I had an awesome time! It was *almost* worth the cheat...I've never had opportunities like that! ( I guess what I'm saying is that sometimes you cheat and you're like, dude, I cheated for THAT? REGRET. Not so much this time.) Anyway, got home, ate mega light (cause I decided to have a cheat breakfast--probably not worth it) and got in my LBWO.

All in all, mid-week 8 I'm behind 3 HIITs, and up 3 cheat days. But I'm not giving up! I got up this morning and got my somewhat bloated a$$ on the spin bike and will continue to eat right!

Sue, I've been thinking about you daily! This attack is tragic to everyone, but I can't imagine what it must feel like to have it happen in your backyard. So glad to hear that your loved ones are all ok! Looks like you're still mega focused on your goals throughout this, and that's so awesome! And please, try those pancakes already! Mix it up, sista :-)

Shorty, hey girl! You're right, I should buy a new WARDROBE to show that husband who he's missing with! And obvi I won't shame you for another glass of wine. You are light-years ahead of me. light-years. I'm with Sue, how's that skirt fitting? :-) Have you seen those babies lately?

Heeyyy, Jr! Looks like you're continuing to own C2, huh? Good job! And over 200? Dude, I'm all like, hey, look at me and my 20s! haha. I have no doubt you'll be right back where you want to be soon. Glad you tried the pancakes! They take a long time to make, I think. But worth it! And yeah, try a nonstick.

Workout planned: HIIT, Spinbike,6:30am, home

Foods planned: M1: Pancakes/Clem/Coffee S1: Shake M2: Salad with salmon, red peppers, ff italian dressing S2: SC/Clems M3: Not sure yet S3: PB Toast

Obstacles you have to overcome today: Just keeping on track!

Help you need or some great tips you want to share:  You’re all doing an awesome job of encouraging me, so THANK YOU!

Positive statement about yourself: PS, I think that all my maternity pants are too big now!

• Dang Gina - like following your posts!  You have to be a writer of some sort - very entertaining and a lot of energy.(Caffeine much?)  It can be hard staying on track with business trips and like you, I'm not going to turn down the open bar/ballpark food at Wrigley Field.  I did the same thing at the Ballpark in Arlington. At least your cheat was well worth it.  The good thing is you got right back on track and didn't dwell on the neg - really not a negative the way you described it.  Anyways, that's all I wanted to say, between you and Eshorty, never a dull moment.

Have a great day and finish strong those last 4 weeks!

David

• Good morning everyone.  I was thinking as I logged in this morning... I know the CC thread will be right at the top, because I know there's a great core group that are going to check-in every day.  And it's been SEVERAL weeks now.  You guys are great.

Sue- Angel Cabrera is great.  Always smiling and politely energetic.  it's impossible not to like him.  Of course, I've never met anyone from South or Central America without a very similar disposition.  Their culture has such an appreciation for life.  It's infectious.

E- I'm with you on Tiger... My wife HATES him.  She always wants to know how he's doing in tournaments and she's hopeful that he falls on his face!  

Also, a cold in April???  Only in the frozen tundra.  That sound terrible.  Kick IT!

Finally E, how is your energy level?  Looking at your diet, it's hard to think you're getting more than 1000 calories a day.  And are you hungry throughout the day?  If it's working for you, great, I know you don't need the same calories I do (sometimes its hard for me to translate a diet to someone much smaller).  But one thing I've learned, is not to be scared of the calories (as long as they're coming from the right sources).  In 3 weeks of 3,000 calories/day, my weight has increased less than 2 lbs, which could easily be water fluctuation.  Just make sure you're getting the fuel you need for great workouts and adequate energy.  It's Body-for-LIFE, not a 12 weeks to beach body, fad diet.  Of course reading your posts, it doesn't appear you have any shortgage of ENERGY!!!

LBWO this morning at 6:30a.  When I woke up, I felt terrible (got in late last night from the ballgame).  Could not get motivated, got to the gym late, partner didn't show up, so sleepy I didn't want to get going.  Excuses, Excuses, Excuses... Cranked up the tunes and hit the squat rack and NAILED IT!!!!!  Turned into a great workout, just had to get started.

Meals:

1- EAS Whey (3 scoops), 1c. OJ, ON Amino Energy (pre-workout)

2- EAS Advantage, Apple (post-workout)

3- Oatmeal (AGAIN), coffee

4- TBD (I'm thinking 8oz of chicken and 1/2 c. of beans on a salad)

5- 6oz Meatloaf, 1/2c. mashed potatoes (skim and olive oil), 1oz raw almonds

6- 2 Chickfila Chargrilled Sandwiches (AGAIN), Fruit cup

7- Casein Protein, 1c. skim milk

You guys are going to kick me out of the club for always writing such long posts.

• Ugh oh, David, you might be my new fav!!!!  ;-)  I love when people pick up on my energy; Shorty is totally giving me a run for my money though!  Thanks for validating my ballpark splurge; it really was worth it! 

So glad you've decided to join us :-)  I might have missed it--what week are you on?

• Gina, actually completed my challenge nearly two weeks ago and will be starting C2 on 4/29 with the Gladiators (the 01/21/2013 group). Most of my posts have been on that thread - even brave enough to post some pictures.  I was a week ahead of them and they kindly took me in as the thread I was on basically died.  Still hitting the gym, a little running and some swimming on weekends, but feel somewhat adrift without the structure.  Been having some back and forth with JR about what he's doing this time around.  He had some really impressive results from his challenge and also being certified PT - he has some knowledge to share.    What does Dang_Gina mean?  

• JR  and E - my wife really hates Tiger.  She loves it when he has a bad tournament.  Miss playing myself.  Hard to get the time to do so.  On a side note, I grew up playing on the course where they filmed Tincup, if any of you remember that movie.  

• Gina- Welcome back.  Very jealous of your Chicago trip.  It's been on my list for years!  When I travel like that, I HAVE TO INDULGE!  Sounds like your self-control was much better than mine would've been.

E- I forgot to say that I think the surgery was a GREAT decision for me.  I was pain-free as soon as I woke up, and I had not been pain free since high school!  The surgery is much more typical for people our parent's age.  Dr. Mark Giovanini of the Andrews Institute is one of the best in the country, and surgery like this is worth traveling for!  

David- LOVE TIN CUP.  "Sex and golf are 2 things you can enjoy even if you're not good at them."  I need to rewatch that movie!

• JR - great movie.  They filmed the US Open (TIN CUP version)  at Kingwood Country Club back in 96.  My older brother was still a member and when I came to visit, we played and they still had the props up outside the clubhouse.  His wife got to be one of the extras and got to meet Costner.  The scene where Costner ...er Roy McAvoy  wins a bar bet by hitting pelican perched on a bridge was actually the bridge to an island green on No. 18 of the Island Course, a 580yd par 5 .....very tough hole.  Painful ending, though.  Think John Daley did similar thing in a tournament.  "Greatness courts failure."

• Hellooo  Everyone!

Gina- sounds like you had an awesome time in Chicago!  One of my fav places to go. I have been there on business the past 5 years and we always seem to end up at Gino's East.  I totally think if you think it was worth it then it totally was.  Wine, ballpark food, yummm!  And the fact that you got up and did the spin bike and are eating clean again yesterday and today shows you are resilient!  :-)

Jr - I like how you put 'don't be so scared of the calories as long as they are from the right source'.  What's that mean?  I think I take in around 1300-1500 a day.  But today, I am really hungry for some reason.  I know I haven't drank much water, could that be it?

Shorty - How come I have never seen the animation videos of the workout guy on this site?!  I have actually googled to find something like this.  Thanks!!

David- Welcome to CCC!  Congrats on C1!!  And I love that we have another person that has moved past this '12 weeks' and is continuing on.  We will need your advice in 5 short weeks on how to make that transition.  Good luck on the start of C2, 10 more days!

Workout planned: Cardio 6am

Foods planned: 1. EggWhite/EngMuff 2. GNCProteinShake/Coffee 3. SlicedTurkey/LFCheese/EngMuff 4. SlicedTurkey/LFCheese/EngMuff (4.5 TwoStringCheese/Apple) 5. BakedChicken/RoastedCauliflower 6. ProteinDrink/DecafCoffee

Obstacles you have to overcome today: Hungry and in a funk.  I want ice cream, wine and M&Ms.  All at once.

Help you need or some great tips you want to share: I am thinking about using the 'bar' at the gym but am a bit chickenshit.  I am afraid I am going to be that girl who someone 'saves' from using the bar that has no weights on it.  Any tips?

Positive statement about yourself: Still in it (to win it! he he)

• I concur with everyone else, we like your kind David! Ummm and yeah, nice friggin' job on BFL - that is one rockin' bod my friend :) When did you first start to notice physical changes? Ooooh I haven't watched Tin Cup in forever…great movie. Kevin Costner is incredible and only gets better with age. Day-yum. Any who, yes, as Sue said, it's great to have you on here. Please share advice - clearly what you have done has worked!

Gina! To reiterate what everyone else has said, sounds like your cheat was a damn good cheat ;) Chicago is so so SO much fun - I would think you weren't human if you didn't cheat in that city. It would be impossible! Like Sue said, the fact that you are back in the saddle just proves that you got this gurrrrrrrrrrrl. And seriously, I think everyone in this group is lost friends. And that my fellow CCers, is how I maintain my energy - just feeding off all of this awesomeness!

Jr, about my calories (btw, I love the you really pay attention to what we're eating…thank you!), I've been tracking my foods/amounts using the MyFitnessPal App - and the total for the day usually hovers around 1600. If I get hungry, which usually happens between my 5th & 6th meals, I'll eat a bowl of peas. But now with this cold, I'm not as hungry. I know right, a f'ing cold in APRIL?! I'll attach a picture that I took yesterday before my drive home. It explains a lot (as I shake my head and flip off the window). 

Sue, sister, sending many, many, many thoughts your way. I hope by the time I post this, that  second mother f'er is finito. Son of a… Regarding the animated exercises, aren't they great?! I also found this site a while back while perusing other posts: http://www.exrx.net/. Very helpful. As for advice about the bar, just go rock that $h*t sister. If anything, ask someone around you for a quick spot - I'm guessing you'll impress them ;)

Jr, like you, I seem to write novels! 

Workout planned: UB @ 5

Foods planned: 1. Greek yogurt + pineapple + coffee 2. cottage cheese + watermelon 3. peanut butter on wheat 4. 2 string cheese + orange 5. BFL Pancakes (possible bowl of peas) 6. PB toast

Obstacles you have to overcome today: Nada.

Help you need or some great tips you want to share: Just that I love this group. 

Positive statement about yourself: Keep pushing yourself…still feeling a slight soreness from my LBWO on Wednesday…woo hoooooo!

• Sue- thinking about you this morning!  I'm sure everyone is glued to the news like I am.  

What I mean by not being scared of calories is:  Good clean eating is not going to make you fat!  Sure, if you want to lose the most weight possible in the shortest amount of time, starving yourself is the fastest way to do it (Calories Out > Calories in = weight loss).  But, if your goal is to build a healthy body that operates efficiently, has a high metabolic rate, and looks gorgeous, you've got to give your body fuel.  Bill has provided a great list of clean foods, and a good basic outline for fueling your body.  Sue:  I like your meal plan yesterday and that your last carb is during the middle of the day (it's not they way BFL designs it, but I think it works well, and it's a common practice of other great eating plans).

I noticed: 3 english muffins yesterday.  I think I do this all the time.  I tend to eat the same things a lot because it's easy and I kind of fall into a meal planning funk.  I don't know if it's good or bad, sometimes I wish I had more variety.

Sue- does your gym have other straight bars, aside from the 45lb olympic bar?  If you can grab a straight bar that you're comfortable with, you can use any bench to accomplish the same result.  If 45 is the lightest bar you have, ask someone to give you a spot if you aren't 100% comfortable.  My experience, no one that spends any time lifting has any issues providing a spot.  

Great UBWO (pull) this morning.  My wife is off today so she joined me, which is AWESOME!  Especially since her brother (my workout partner) is the least reliable workout partner in the world!

Meals:

1- EAS Whey (3 scoops), 1c. OJ, ON Amino Energy

2- Waffle House- Chicken & Eggs (hold the yolks), dry wheat toast, grits (no butter)

3- Got to plan the rest of the day as I go (but after 15 weeks that's not too difficult)

4- TBD

5- TBD

6- TBD

7- Casein Protein Shake

• Omg.  Can't. Stop. Watching. CNN.  I am plugged in! 

Sue, girlfriend, how you holdin up?!?!  I've been thinking about you since 5:30am!  Stay inside!  On a lighter note; I'm totally with you on the wine/ice cream/M&M combo!  Sounds delish :-)

David:  Dang_Gina is a phrase from "Martin", the 90's sitcom.  Actually, I think it's DAMN GINA! but I didn't think BFL would be down.....ANYWAY, my husband and I say it all the time at home.  Like, Dang, Gina, you're looking goooood.  Or, $500?!?! Dang, Gina!  We also say "Yo Mama" a lot.....We may have a hard time letting the 90s go....Also, looks like I need to stalk your photos :-)

Jr:  Back to the Waffle House, huh?  Just as long as you don't get the steak!  :-)  That's awesome your wife worked out with you; it's nice to have that connection. 

Shooorty!  Um...is that picture a joke?  Seriously.  It's a damn monsoon here,  but I wouldn't trade you!  I mean that in the nicest way possible ;-) 

Workout planned: UBWO, Home, 9pm

Foods planned: M1: Pancakes/Clem/Coffee S1: SC/Clems M2: Subway turkey on wheat S2: SC/yogurt M3: Not sure yet S3: EAS Shake

Obstacles you have to overcome today: Nuttin.

Help you need or some great tips you want to share:  80/20 ground beef?  Yes or no? 

Positive statement about yourself: Just keep swimmin....