Cottage Cheese Club

• Gina and E- Don't be afraid to add calories if you're constantly hungry.  Just make sure they're lean calories.  I'd try to get those extra calories from lean proteins and fiborous veggies rather than starchy carbs or fats.  

E- love the recipe, and I'm with you on the peppers.  I haven't always been a fan, but now I love them.. all colors but particularly red and orange.  We go through about 3 peppers a week.

Stewp- Sorry I almost missed your question.  My plan for C2 include more calories!  But I am really going to have to focus on the source of those calories.  I was taking 1600-1800 calories during C1, and I'm shooting for 3200 during C2.  I want to see how my body reacts to a bunch of good clean calories.  Hopefully, I don't blow up like a blimp!  My workouts will change just a little with 4 days of heavy strength training and 2 days of HIIT.  My sets will change to 12, 10, 8, 6, 6, which hopefully will allow me to push heavier weight.  

If you haven't seen the site that was linked in another thread, I printed a great article on adjusting the BFL plan.  I can't seem to paste it here, so I'll throw it in my files.

• Found the link: www.hussmanfitness.org/.../TPBodyforLife.html

PDF file of the article is also in my files: "Why BFL program works"

• Hi everyone!  Happy Good Friday and wellcome Barnetter!  So cool to have you here and looking forward to your insight!

Interesting article Jr.Mc.  The biggest thing that stood out to me was that all the previous champions all did much more cardio than the 20 mins/3 times a week.  It is making me thing I need to step it up.

I like how he explained the following:

'The first set of 12 reps is an essential stretch and warm-up. You then move to a higher weight for 10 repetitions, higher again for 8 reps, maximal weight for 6 reps, then dropping to lower weight for a "compound set" - 12 reps followed immediately by another 12 reps using a different exercise for the same part. The last couple of reps in your final 12 should require everything you've got. Bill describes it as switching from his muscles to his mind. But do concentrate on good form. Pushing a lot of weight in bad form just gets you injured. Most important is that you exhaust the muscle to failure. You do that not only by hitting a high point on the way up, but also by going slow on the eccentric (lowering) motion.'

I also thought this method was interesting.  Because for me, my free days usually revolve around seeing friends or going to an event on the weekend.  Like tonight and tomorrow night I am going out.  I would rather have the (responsible) freedom to eat at both events while staying on track the other time of the day for today and tomorrow.  Thoughts??

'If you prefer, my impression is that you can substitute the free day with 2 "free meals" between any Sunday-Saturday period (following the program for other meals on those days).'

I also appreciated this:

'If it took you years to get into this condition, at least give the program at least 12 weeks of solid discipline. I guarantee you'll be glad you did.'

So Gina, with this in mind about increased cardio or other exercising, I would say go for the hot-yoga!   And go SPARTANS!! oh so exciting for you and the hubby!

EShorty - I sometimes have diet hot cocoa when I am hungry between 5th and 6th meal.  25 calories, 4 carbs and 2 protein.  It does hold me over and keeps me from obsessing about my hunger!  Also, you had me at 'TACO' with the quinoa salad.  And the powerblocks are great most of the time.  They can be a bit awkward.  I bought them for my 1st BFL challenge in 2003 and dusted them off on Feb 26, 2013.  :-) 

Workout planned: HIIT at 6am on the stepping machine for 35 minutes.

Foods planned: M1: EggWhite/EngMuff/Coffee.  S1:  GNC Protein Shake  M2:  ChickenSaladWrap/Apple  S2:  StringCheese/Pear  M3: THINKING ABOUT DOING A FREE MEAL TODAY AND TOMORROW NIGHT??  I DON'T KNOW WHAT I SHOULD DO??

Obstacles you have to overcome today:  Out doing errands with the boys and at at 10:30am then again at 2:30pm.  Was so hungry between then!!  Now I have to figure out how to fit in 3 more meals.  4:30pm, 6:30pm and 8:30pm??

Help you need or some great tips you want to share:   If you are totally hungry and you are between meals, what do you do?? Also, I am thinking of adding more cardio as I have lower body fat to burn.  Do you think this is a good idea??  

• What do you guys think of this?  It is a new intensity pattern from Bill Phillips from a couple of years ago...

www.transformation.com/.../148383

and here is the 12 week schedule that is different from what the book says:

www.transformation.com/.../20110622_wosched.pdf

• My first thought is that this would have been a good first step to prepare yourself for BFL if you weren't capable of doing a 50 minute UBWO at the beginning.  I would probably find it challenging to reach the intensity level in 25 minutes of lifting, but it may be a great way to break up the BFL workout if you wanted a change.  The aerobic/Cardio portion, looks pretty comparable.  I think I would prefer to do another cycle of the BFL 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 to increase the duration to 25 minutes.  There's nothing wrong with that program, I just think it's probably a little less intense than this one.

• Hi all! How were your weekends? 

I'm checking in tonight as I'll be away for most of tomorrow. My brother and his wife are having twins - woop woop - so I'll be at the hospital for the first half of the day. I have a plan so I'm not too worried about sticking to the program. I had my free day today and right now I feel like crrrrrrrrrap...ugh. I look forward to putting my focus back to where it should be come tomorrow morning! 

Gina, are you ready to put that tough week behind you and kick this one's ass?!? You got it, sister. As for hot yoga...one of my friends does it and loves it - she warns that you will feel like crap afterwards because you're getting rid of bad sheeeat. Once the blah feeling wears off, she said she feels amazing and totally loves it. Give 'er a try girl!

Jr, yet again, thanks so much for the advice on adding lean calories. I feel like you are the CCer's coach! I'm definitely going to keep some good veggies on hand. And the link to the hussman article = awesome. 

Stewp, regarding the responsible freedom, I know that would realllllly test me. If you truly stick to it, then it might not be an issue. However, if you are like me it could be dangerous. I could do it for a bit, but it would open the door to slip up and make a bad pattern out of it. Totally just me though!  Ooooh and diet hot cocoa sounds great. I have a sweet tooth so it would be like a "treat" yet not at 25 cal. Thanks girl!

Workout planned(include your time of day): UB @ ?7 pm-ish? (will do when I get home Monday night)

Foods planned: 1. Wheat toast + peanut butter + coffee 2. EAS bar 3. Turkey sandwich on wheat 4. EAS bar 5. ?? 6. ?? Still have to go to the grocery store tomorrow afternoon.

Obstacles you have to overcome today: Being on the road and not in my regular schedule. I have a plan so I'm not too worried...just have to remember to keep drinking water throughout the day.

Help you need or some great tips you want to share: Had a lot of sweets today...fear a sugar hangover tomorrow! Water, water, water...I feel so parched and f'ing gross.

Positive statement about yourself: Don't like the way I'm feeling after my free day...only reiterates how much I have grown to love following the BFL program. Get it gurrrrrrl!

• Hey Friends!  Happy day after Easter.  Anyone go a little overboard on the candy?  Me too....  Not to mention that my Aunt made me a PAN of my favorite rice crispy treats with M&Ms.  A pan.  Ugh.  So of course I felt like I had to eat a million of them because I couldn't possible let my husband enjoy them without me this week.  Dammit, Gina!  Good news?  I do not have a FD Hangover today.  Maybe because I ate carrots for dinner?  Moving. On.

Shorty, you're going to be the aunt of TWINS!?!?!  Omg.  So awesome for you!  So scary for your brother and his wife ;-)  I always thought I wanted twins...and then I had A child.  haha.  Have fun, Auntie!

JrMc:  as usual....your advice and links are invaluable.  And guess what?  I was doing my "high point" weights wrong this whole challenge! I was ADDING weight, not dropping it.  OMG.  WTH was I thinking?  Total miss on my  part.

Stewp:  Thank you for posting those snippets; I reread them and that's when I realized I'd been doing it wrong this time. ( I need to read your new links still)  I'm with Shorty on your responsible freedom....I don't know that I could do it, but hey, if you have the willpower, by all means!  I almost cheated so many times last week and I know that if I would have given in, I would have really screwed myself.  But that's just my personality.  I'm an all or nothing kinda gal.  Hey!  Also, thanks for the Spartan love :-)  Wasn't our year, but I'm always proud to be a Spartan. 

Workout planned: UBWO/Home Gym/8pmish. 

Foods planned: M1: EFL Pancakes/Clem/Coffee.  S1:  EAS Shake/clem  M2:  Out for lunch... S2:  SC/Yogurt M3: Breakfast? S3:  EAS Shake

Obstacles you have to overcome today:  Farewell lunch today for a coworker at my fav Mexican Restaurant....Stay away from the chips.....and the queso......

Help you need or some great tips you want to share: Hmmm....not today!

Positive statement about yourself:  I spent time last night going back through the book and writing out my UBWO.  No excuses, do your best work!  (and correctly hit those 10s)  ;-)

• Good morning.  So glad that "free week" is over... UGGGGHHH.

I posted my C2 day 1 stuff over on the April 1 thread so I can keep up with how others are doing that are starting today.  BUT... I love keeping up with you guys, so if you're interested, here's today:

Great Upper Body Push workout this morning (Chest, Delts, Triceps)

Here are my meals:

1- Whey shake (60g), ON Amino Energy, 10oz Orange Juice (pre-workout)

2- EAS Advantage shake, 1 plum, EAS Muscle Armor (post-workout)

3- Oatmeal, 2 Tbsp Natural Peanut Butter

4- 2 Chick-fil-a Chargrilled sandwiches, Fruit Cup, Unsweet Tea

5- 6oz Deli Turkey, Wheat Sandwich Thin, 1oz Raw Almonds

6- 6oz Shrimp, 2oz Whole Wheat Pasta, Thai Peanut Sauce (easy on this stuff, it's got sugar)

7- Casein Protein Shake, 1c. Skim Milk

Alot more calories in this plan, you'll probably notice the portions are larger... The jury is still out, but I can tell you that at 10:30 I'm not craving my next meal (noon) like in weeks past.  Gonna give it the old 84 day try and see what results it generates (assuming I'm not a blimp in 6 weeks).

• Happy Tuesday CC'ers!! Hope you are all doing great.  It is the start of my 6th week!

First, thank you all for the advice on the 'responsible freedom' idea.  Know thyself is the number one rule, right?!  I did not go off plan on Friday and felt just one day a week (Saturday) is all I can handle.  This past Saturday was the first free-day that I wanted to eat 'on-plan food and on-schedule' with the exception of small treats during the day and the dinner I went to that evening.  Still ate enough to have that slight guilty feeling on Sunday that can help to focus me back to BFL center on Sunday AM.

EShorty - any news on the babies?  So exciting for your brother and his wife.  Sounds like you are a very supportive sister and I am sure you will have many feedings, diaper changes and giggles in your near future.  They are lucky to have someone by their side to help them.  Remember, it is all about the little things when you know someone needs you!  How did you do at the hospital?  Were you able to stick to plan?  Did you drink your water?!

JrMc - Good luck with C2 and with your caloric adjustments.  From the looks of those muscles, you will need to feed them more to maintain them!  I did the cardio 2/2/1 pattern today and I don't feel like I was sweating as much as with the 5/6/7/8/9 original BFL pattern.  It was worth a try but I will go back next time to original.  And I think I am going to stick to the original BFL interval weight training.  I truly appreciate your perspective! 

Gina- Have you tried the hot yoga yet to sweat out all those jellybeans?!  

Check out this picture I found on the web.  It gives me comfort when that scale is not moving!

Foods planned: M1: EggWhite/EngMuff  S1:  GNC Shake  M2:  LeftOverSalmon/Salad/Apple (finally got that salmon I was craving for dinner last night and it was sooooo good!) S2:  ChickenPatty/WholeWheatBun/Lettuce/Ketchup M3: EggWhite/EngMuff/Veggies? S3:  CottageCheese/Strawberries

Obstacles you have to overcome today:  Hubby left on business trip this morning until late Friday night.  Thinking about how I am going to get my cardio workouts in this week amoungst all the other things (baseball practices, hockey tryouts, CCD, tutoring, homework, playdates, blah, blah, blah).  I work while the kids are in school and always do my workouts in early AM.  This will be a busy week...

Help you need or some great tips you want to share: I worked out UB yesterday.  I was pushing myself to where I couldn't complete the last rep in the 6th set thinking that is my max, right?  But my arms do not hurt much today.  Does that mean I didn't push enough or I am doing something wrong?  Shouldn't I feel the weight workouts the next day?

Positive statement about yourself:  I am really proud of myself for making it a full 5 weeks!  I am already excited for the half-way point next Tuesday for completing 6 weeks.  Put your head down and reach for it Sue!!  :-)

• My picture is not loading. I will work on that!

• It's BFL Day 38 for me!  Almost halfway done!  I have a feeling I may need a C2 though....Just in time for me to get preg again and start the cycle all over....  ;-/  Eh, at least I'll be in much better shape this time around and in the right, healthy mindset. 

So, I'm feeling kinda "ick" today....I'm wondering, if I do my HIIT in the morning, how soon should I be eating?  For example, today I did my HIIT at 6am.  I didn't eat breakfast until 8:30ish.  I'm thinking that's too long and I should maybe have a shake pretty soon after I finish the workout?  What do you all think?  Maybe that's causing the ick/lightheadedness....

Workout planned: HIIT/Home Spin Bike/6am 

Foods planned: M1: EFL Pancakes/Clem/Coffee.  S1:  EAS Shake/clems  M2:  Mini Meatloaves/sweet potatoes/green beans S2:  SC/Yogurt M3: Leftovers? S3:  EAS Shake

Obstacles you have to overcome today:  Getting rid of the ick!

Help you need or some great tips you want to share: See question above....

Positive statement about yourself: Great UBWO last night!  Feels great to know I did it correctly this time ;-)

• I have been trying to login to post all friggin day and fiiiiiiiiinally I have success! Whew...any ways... ; Helloooooooo! 

Gina, OMG, the easter candy…. my mom loaded me up. I was like NOOOOOOOOO so it's now sitting in my candy drawer for my niece and nephew, when they come over next. I have no problem avoiding it at the moment being I felt like such crap after my sugar-overload on Sunday. And yeah, my "little" brother had twins - they are just the cuuuuuutest: identical boys! Both are healthy = so great. And don't even get me started on how adorable little Gina is… :) Oooooh, another bambino might be on the horizon?? Woop woop! And sister, with how you've knocked your first half of this program out of the park, you'll be able to get that body back shortly after #2 - I have no doubt about that! Side note: If anyone else wants to be FB friends, just send a private message on here. Regarding the eating right after a workout - I read that you should eat/drink a shake within an hour - so go for it!

Jr, yes, please keep up with us! If you couldn't already tell, we all love your advice/encouragement. I'm curious to see how your new meal plan works - guessing you will not turn into a blimp. Magazine muscles = in production! So which cover should we be watching for you on??

Sue, you're going to do GREAT this week. Hello, you're a mom and moms are superheroes/can do everything - you've got this!! And wow, thank you very much for the kind words. I have a pretty close knit family and I plan on being a big part of these boys' future, whether they like it or not! :) I agree, lots of fun times ahead. As for sticking to the plan - I'm not going to lie, it was TOUGH. I missed my mid-morning snack and had to get my last one in right before bed - and being I don't eat anything 3 hours before my workout, I didn't do that until about 7:30 last night. I would say my biggest challenge yesterday: going to lunch at Buffalo Wild Wings (I don't know if you all have those, but day-yum they have good wings) - it took a lot of willpower to order the grilled chicken wrap (wheat tortilla) w/ side salad vs. the boneless wings!! But I did it and was proud of myself - didn't even finish it all. As for the water…I did ok, not great :( Ummm and what kind of chicken patties do you eat? I lovvvvvve those and totally want to incorporate healthy ones into my plan. Regarding the soreness after hitting a 10, the only thing I can think of is maybe it's time to try some new upper body exercises?? 

Hope all the other CCers are doing good out there!!!

Workout planned(include your time of day): Running w/ inclines @5

Foods planned: 1. Greek yogurt + clementine + coffee 2. cottage cheese + clementine 3. peanut butter on wheat 4. 2 string cheese + clementines 5. BFL Italian style turkey burger + green beans 6. PB toast

Obstacles you have to overcome today: Can't think of anything...

Help you need or some great tips you want to share: Happy to be back on my daily routine…yesterday it was tough to stay on track! The time flewwwwwww by. While the free day is great, it makes you appreciate the other 6 days a hell of a lot more!

Positive statement about yourself: 2nd day into Week 5….WEEK 5 already!!! Keep it up - you have NO excuse not to! Think: cute summer dresses, tank tops, a toned/slimmed down body………don't lose sight of that.
  • 2nd day of week 4. When did you all notice a weight difference or did you?

• Also had the login issues!

Gina-  AWESOME!  Half-way.  That was about the point when I realized 12 weeks was definitely happening!  And about the gitters... get some calories!!!  Especially higher gylcemic carbs, especially after fasted HIIT.  2 glasses of water before the HIIT, water during and after, then a light meal with a quick-responding carb (fruit is great) within 30 minutes.  That should help with the gitters, then get your breakfast once you've recovered.  Looking at your food plan, I'd eat you S1 immediately after the HIIT, then your M1 once you get hungry and recovered.

E- Buffulo Wild Wings has one of the worst menus for eating healthy!  There grilled bone-less wings are terrible over-cooked and dry.  But it's a great place to watch games (especially March Madness), even if I drink water instead of beer.  And the energy in your posts is awesome!  

Sue- Half-way!  A great time to take pics.  And grilled Salmon is a staple in my diet, both C1 and C2.  Usually eat it thinly-sliced new potatoes that I roast in the oven with 1tbsp of Olive Oil.

Thomas-  Everyone looses the weight differently.  My biggest changes weren't until the last 3 weeks, but the clothes were fitting differently about week 6-7.  Keep it up, the program works!

Upper Body Pull muscles this morning.  Great workout, but I've been without my workout partner for the past few weeks.  Just told me he'll be back starting Friday (thank God!).  Love having someone else to push/push me.

1- Whey, OJ (8oz), ON Amino Energy (preworkout)

2- EAS Advantage, Apple, EAS Muscle Armor, Creatine (post-workout)

3- Oatmeal, coffee

4- 8oz chicken, 1/2c black beans, 3oz avacado, salad greens

5- 8oz lean ham, grated potatoes cooked in olive oil

6- TBD

7- Casein Protein, Yogurt

• Morning all!

Thomassd, congrats on being in week 4! Isn't it flying by? I haven't noticed a big weight difference (and I'm trying like hell to not let it get me down…I've lost a pound and I'm on W5 D3). However, I have noticed a difference in how my clothes are fitting and my overall mood. Not like I'm a moody person, but I just feel better all around. The results will come as long as I stick to the plan (the proof is all over on this site - just look at Jr, Gina, and Sue's pics!) - and I've accepted the fact that it might take me another challenge or two to get there. And when I do, I'm going to find a way to spoil myself like crazy! Cute new wardrobe perhaps? ;)

Jr, I've never looked at the "healthy" side of things at BWW - and you are right = horrible. I concur, great atmosphere for games but not for staying on the plan. Free day meal = yes! Congrats on having your workout partner back...I'd love to have a partner but when I've tried it in the past, my friend and I ended up cutting our workout short so we could catch up at local dive bar. But then again, I think we had that in our agenda the whole time... ;)

Sue, Gina, congrats on hitting the half way point!! Get it girrrrrrls :) Woop woop!! Sue, how's the week going with your husband being away? Gina, did you kick that "ick" to the curb?? Hiiiiii-yaaaaa!

Workout planned: LB @5

Foods planned: 1. Greek yogurt + clementine + coffee 2. cottage cheese + clementine 3. peanut butter on wheat 4. 2 string cheese + clementines 5. BFL Italian style turkey burger + green beans 6. PB toast

Obstacles you have to overcome today: Zilch.

Help you need or some great tips you want to share: BFL Italian style turkey burger = eh. I doubt I'll ever make it again after this week. The meat didn't stick together when I "grilled" it (used my panini press so maybe that was the issue). Good, but not great in my opinion. And now with this talk of salmon, I'll be adding that to my menu. Yummmm.

Positive statement about yourself: Just saw some pictures taken this past Monday of myself…motivation to KEEP ON GOING! Plus, why wouldn't I? I'm feeling great!