Cottage Cheese Club

• Gina-  Welcome back.  Tell me about the exercise options you're thinking.  Yes, for the most part, if you make sure you're working the right muscle groups, the BFL book is not an exhaustive list, you can substitute other exercises that effectively work the muscle group.  My only recommendation would be to not substitute an isolation type exercise in place of a compound exercise (example pec deck instead of bench press).  Compound exercises use multiple joints and thus, mutiple muscle groups, whereas isolation exercises involve the movement of a single joint and thus focus on a single muscle group.  I typically would try to use a compound exercise for my 1st 5 sets, superset with an isolation exercise for my 6th set (12, 10, 8, 6, 12, 12).  

Subbing dumbell incline press for barbell flat bench press = good

Subbing cable flies for barbell flat bench press = not ideal

make sense?

• Omg I have had no working computer so I have had to catch up on 5 pages of posts. I really have noticed that everyone is staying positive. That's awesome.

I have just started week 3 on Monday. I haven't lost a pound but I was 42% body fat when I started and yesterday I took my measurements (using a caliper) and the body fat tool on here reads 32%, Is that possible?

I know according to the book there's more than one reason for it but I am finding it hard. Guess that's a good thing right?

Just a small victory I wanted to share with everyone: I work out everyday at our local YMCA and generally at the same time. I see the same men (no women) in there all the time. Today one of the men that obviously lifts says to me "are you training for anything specific, you have made good progress in just the time I have seen you in here"

I was very pleased that he even noticed.

I think we look at ourselves so often everyday that we dont notice the difference. Just wanted to share that.

Good luck everyone.

Best of luck to everyone this week.

• Love comments like that!  Glad to know you were the recipient.  I see a core group of people in my gym busting their ass all the time, and it's so refreshing compared to the 80% of other folks sitting around, talking on phones and flexing in the mirror.  People are noticing, nice work!

• Stewp, your hard work is definitely paying off - I agree with Jr & Gina, there is definitely a difference girl. You are looking great - keep it up!!! You have the smallest waist…jealous over here!

Jr, in your response to G's q about the exercises, I totally learned something new. Isolation vs. compound - very good to know. As for the clementines, welllllll, maybe that explains why my skin is turning orange and I have a citrusy scent to my skin?? ;)

Gina!!! There you are sister. I hope you are feeling much better - ooooo eeeee, not fun. And thanks for the kind words - the feeling is mutual my friend. It's the least I can do with what you all have - and continue to do - for me. As we've said numerous times, this group friggin' rocks!

Thomassd, yeah girl! How awesome that a fellow YMCA'er noticed - I sooo agree, we don't notice our own progress as we seem to see the same thing each day. For me, it will take someone else noticing or by seeing proof in my before/after pics. Keep up the awesome work, sister!

Workout planned(include your time of day): Running with inclines @ 5

Foods planned: 1. Greek yogurt + clementine + coffee 2. Cottage cheese + clementine 3. Whole wheat pita + turkey + tomato, lettuce + mustard 4. String cheese + 2 clementines 5. Quinoa with EVOO, lime juice, black beans, corn, red/yellow/orange peppers, cilantro 6. Protein shake

Obstacles you have to overcome today: Nothing today but I'm looking ahead at the weekend/Monday, which could prove challenging. Just mentally preparing myself to stay on track.

Help you need or some great tips you want to share: Question about peanut butter: would Skippy "Natural" be ok? Or should we stick to straight up natural? (crossing my fingers for Skippy…ha)

Positive statement about yourself: Keep envisioning the skinny/toned you when you are working out. It will pay off!

• Confession:  I sucked at my UBWO so hard last night.  It was pitiful and pathetic.  And I just couldn't suck it up.  :-( 

I did rock out my HIIT this morning though, perhaps as retaliation to my lazyass last night? 

Recognition Roundup time! 

Eshorty:  OMG, that Clem photo is hilar!  Love it!  :-)  I've been meaning to tell you that your dinner sounds delicious!!!!  Is it???  Also, I totally use Skippy Natural.  I'd say sugar, nuts, and oil is pretty natural.  And it's soooo yummy! 

JrMc:  Remember when you schooled me on compound v. isolation?  Yeah.....I have no idea!  But something tells me that I want to sub compound for isolation, so I think that might be bad....

Thomassd:  Good to see you back!  Awesome job showing up the boys club!  I feels great when strangers notice your dedication.  I remember during my first challenge I was doing Hammer Curls at the gym and this older guy said to me "whatever you're doing, keep doing it!"  HA!  But I still remember it to this day.  And my husband still teases me about it, too ;-)

Connie!!!!!  Come back!

I kinda wanna be real life friends with everyone.....If anyone wants to be FB friends, I'd happily share my "real" identify. 

Workout planned: HIIT/Spin Bike/6am.  Killed it. 

Foods planned: M1: EFL Pancakes/Clem/Coffee.  S1:  EAS Shake  M2:  Left over EFL Chicken Scampi Pasta (sub chicken for shrimp)  S2:  SC/Yogurt M3: Going out on a date with the husby so I'll scope it out when I get there...S3:  EAS Shake

Obstacles you have to overcome today:  Doing good, doing good!

Help you need or some great tips you want to share: This is what I was going to share yesterday--I remembered!!!  I've started keeping my phone across the room at night--I use it as my alarm--so when it goes off at 5:30am I can't "accidentily hit snooze 10 times" and miss my workout.  I have to get my tired ass out of bed and shut it off.  And it works! 

Positive statement about yourself:  So you sucked last night.  Doesn't mean you suck at life.  Keep it going girlfriend, you've got this!

• E- on the peanut butter. I ate Jif "Natural" throughout the challenge.  I can't remember the label from the Skippy, but I think it's basically the same as Jif (as compared to the natural peanut butter that separates).  The biggest difference is a little added sugar and palm oil.  It's only a couple grams of sugar, and the palm oil has minimal impact on the macronutrients.  I wouldn't sweat it!

What you want to stay away from is the "hydrogenated oil" in conventional peanut butter.  

About your clementines... I've really embraced the fruit the last several weeks, particularly right before or after my workout.  I tend to go for apples or plums because they're so easy to grab on the go.  I was a little scared of all the sugar early on and limited my fruits, but I think that was a mistake!

A few notes from my "off week":  Went to the gym yesterday for some "moderate" cardio, though I really do intend to take it easy this week.  Jumped on the treadmill at a 6mph pace (about the equivalent of my 6 on BFL 1-10 scale).  After a mile I felt great, and kick it up to 6.7 (9:00 pace).  After another mile I felt even better so I kicked it up again (8:00 pace), another half a mile in I was still feeling great so I kicked it up one more time (7:30 pace) until I had completed a 5k.  When I was done I still felt great... Best "off day" workout ever!

From E:  Positive statement about yourself: Keep envisioning the skinny/toned you when you are working out. It will pay off!

When I read this I keep getting excited about building those "magazine muscles" over the next 12 weeks!  Mapped out my day 1 diet yesterday.

Sorry for another novel!

• Cholesterol results are in:  bodyforlife.com/.../6814.aspx

• Good morning. I'd love to be a part of this group.  I think it helps me to stay on track if I write about it. Quick intro, I did the challenge 10 years ago got lazy and redid the challenge last year.  Surprisingly, I was actually the champion for my age group 46+.  A year has past and I've been able to maintain my weight loss. Although from time to time I have been a little slack.  One of my success factors was writing about it my progress everyday which I don't do regularly now so I think this will help me stay focused.  I actually kept a blog last year. I'm a little scared to go back and read it but  I think the link is in my profile.

Workout planned(include your time of day): Stairmaster HITT - 6:00 am

Foods planned(you can write your plan to give others ideas or just say whether you have all planned) Snack: Myoplex Lite Bar (eat right after I get off the machine)

Breakfast - Myoplex Lean 15 shake

Snack: Cottage Cheese/banana

Lunch: Baked salmon, 1/2 sweet potato and broccoli (I pretty much eat this for lunch every day)

Snack - Advantedge shake

Dinner - ??? Nothing planned yet (I know I'm bad)

Obstacles you have to overcome today : Trying to get to bed at a reasonable time.  I do not get enough sleep

Help you need or some great tips you want to share: Tip for me: I pretty much eat the same thing for lunch everyday.  I like it and I don't think about what to eat.  Food becomes much more a way to fuel and energize the body so I'm less inclined to overeat

Positive statement about yourself:(can make it past/present/future tense).  Hurray my small suit still fits!

• You guys and this group rocks!  I didn't realize how much inspiration a group like this would bring me.  Thank you to everyone!

EShorty- have you ever heard of PB2 peanut butter?  It is a powered peanut butter.  I have not tried it (and powdered sounds gross) but I hear it is a great substitution.  It has much lower calories and low fat.  I also appreciated Annoying Orange photo.  ha ha!  I am familiar with AO seeing that I have a 10 year old boy!

Gina- the fact that you push hard the next day is what you should focus on.  Thing happen and we can't be 100% on 100% of the time.  You turned a negative into a positive and should be proud of that.  Keep pushing!!  “Better to do some­thing imper­fectly than to do noth­ing flaw­lessly.” – Robert Schuller

JrMc- What are some of the things you are planning on doing different in C2 compared to your C1?  I love that you are working harder than ever in week 13.  Sounds like you are a changed man!

Workout planned: UBWO - 6am at home with my powerblocks - did all but shoulders.  Just ran out of time and wrote it off.  As I am writing this I think I might finish it up tonight.  What is stopping me!? 

Foods planned: M1: EggWhite/EngMuff/Coffee.  S1:  GNC Protein Shake  M2:  Turkey chili/sprinkle shreaded parm  S2:  StringCheese/Apple  M3: Not sure but I am craving salmon!  S3:  Cottage cheese/strawberries

Obstacles you have to overcome today:  Spring has finally sprung here in Boston.  Bring on the warmer weather!

Help you need or some great tips you want to share:   Talk to me about these EFL pancakes.  What is the ingredients? Do you make a batch and keep the batter in the fridge or make from scratch every AM?  Do you eat with syrup?  Are they considered both your protein and carb for that meal?  Do I have to break out my blender for these?

All great­ness is achieved while per­form­ing out­side our com­fort zone.” –Greg Arnold

• Help you need or some great tips you want to share:   Talk to me about these EFL pancakes.  What is the ingredients? Do you make a batch and keep the batter in the fridge or make from scratch every AM?  Do you eat with syrup?  Are they considered both your protein and carb for that meal?  Do I have to break out my blender for these?

I'd love to share!  I eat these every single morning, even on my free day!  I usually make 2-3 batches at a time to get me through the week.  I store in ziplocks and keep a couple days worth in the fridge and the rest in the freezer. 

Combine in a blender: 

• 1 cup cottage cheese
    • 1 cup oatmeal (not instant)
    • 1 cup egg whites from a carton (or 6 egg whites the old fashioned way)
    • 3 splendas (or stevia)
    • a splash of vanilla
    • a few liberal dashes of cinnamon. 

Blend for 1 minute.  Cook like regular pancakes, 1/2 cup of batter at a time.  Use an electric griddle if you have one! 

Serve with 1/4 cup sugar free syrup and 1/4 cup fruit. This counts as your carb and protein. 

You should get 4, 1/2 cup pancakes.  2 per serving.

• Welcome Barnetter... great to have a champion among us!

• Well, I'm almost at the end of week 5 and I have to say this has been a tough week for me....I've been more hungry/tired/sore than I have all challenge so far....Normal?  I almost cheated yesterday; I'm having mega cravings!  However, I think it's because I'm legitimately hungry! 

Sooo....we have champion in our club!  So awesome!  Welcome Barnetter!!!  I might be a little star-struck  ;-)  Please share your wisdom with us; what do you think helped you the most? 

Workout planned: LBWO/Home Gym/6am.  Nailed it. 

Foods planned: M1: EFL Pancakes/Clem/Coffee.  S1:  EAS Shake/clem  M2:  Left over Chicken and Pasta with fresh green beans S2:  SC/Yogurt M3: EFL Taco Pasta--I think S3:  EAS Shake

Obstacles you have to overcome today:  Staying awake for the Michigan State v. Duke game!  Both my husband and I are MSU grads, so this is a big night for us!  GO GREEN!  GO WHITE!  GO STATE! 

Help you need or some great tips you want to share: What do you think about Hot Yoga?  Not as a replacement to anything, but as an addition every now and then? It feels so good to "sweat it out"!  Especially since I'm not eating like *** any more.....I'll bet it will make the after feeling even better!

Positive statement about yourself:  I'm wearing my favorite dress today....as in, IT FITS!  HOLLA!

• Happy Friday, CCers!

Umm, first of all, Jr…your cholesterol - are you friggin' kidding me?!? Wow wow WOW. I can only imagine how happy you - and your wife - are with that number :) And second of all, your lil jaunt on the treadmill??? Damn, if I tried to run a mile at an 7:30 min pace, my legs would buckle and I'd go flying off the back. So yeah, nice work yet again - keep inspiring us!

Gina, eh, we all have our bad days - we just can't let them define us - and being we know each other so well now tee hee - you so do NOT seem like someone who would let one measly day do that so I was happy to read about how you kicked your next workout's ass - yeah girl! Regarding FB, I'm totally down - I say for those who want to, we could private message each other on here? And my recipe for the Quinoa salad is at the bottom. I.friggin.love.it.

Barnetter, welcome friend!! Yeah, a champion - so great. Congrats! What are your goals this time around?

Stewp, you know, I saw the powdered PB at a local co-op and was like what the hell? But I'm totally intrigued being it has lower cal/fat. If I try it, I will definitely let you know what I think. Ummm and love the quotes you put in your last post - thanks for sharing! I'm a sucker for a good quote.

Workout planned(include your time of day): LB @ 5

Foods planned: 1. Greek yogurt + clementine + coffee 2. Cottage cheese + clementine 3. Whole wheat pita + turkey + tomato, lettuce + mustard 4. String cheese + 2 clementines 5. Quinoa taco salad 6. Whole wheat english muffin with almond butter/flax seeds

Obstacles you have to overcome today: Wanting that glass of wine at the end of the day…focus, focus, focus.

Help you need or some great tips you want to share: I've never heard of powerblocks before so I googled the term - damn, wish I would've heard about them before I started buying the individual barbells! They look awesome.

Positive statement about yourself: Almost done with 4 weeks…it has flown by and you are doing great. Keep it up!!!

Quinoa taco salad:
    1.5 cups uncooked, rinsed quinoa (use 3 cups water if using a rice cooker/or prepare according to package)
    1 can rinsed black beans (my fave brand is S&W premium)
    EVOO (if I am dividing the recipe for 6 meals, I will use 6 tablespoons)
    Juice from 2 limes
    Sea salt to taste
    2-3 tablespoons fresh cilantro (do not use dried, it's gross…if anything, use this in place of fresh: http://www.gourmetgarden.com/us/product/view/Cilantro. Can be found in the produce section)
    1 red/yellow/orange pepper (recipe calls for 1 but I usually add 2 because I love peppers)
    1 cup frozen corn
    1 large avocado, diced

Directions: Cook quinoa (I prepare in my rice cooker…add 3 cups water). Then mix all ingredients together…voila! Nom nom nom. 

I adapted an original recipe, which can be found here: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2010/05/quinoa-taco-salad.html

• Gina, hang in there!! Way to go on not cheating…just think, your free day is on the horizon sister! And hellooooooooo, your dedication is obviously paying off. No cheating = favorite dress day!

I will say that I, too, have been super hungry about an hour or so after my 6th meal. I have given in with a bowl of…….frozen peas. Ha. I did that twice this week. Yeah, what is the best way, if any??, to avoid that hunger? A better 5th meal?? Clueless over here.

• ...I meant I've been super hungry after my 5th meal, not 6th. Friday brain-fry going on over here...