Starting 2/18

• UBW today.  I gained 1 pound last week, but I am not freaked out about that.  Probably water as I am confident my eating was good.  I look thinner in the mirror, so that is my compass for now.  I never did trust my bathroom scale anyhow.  Congrats if you lost weight (some of you lost a lot), don't worry if you didn't.  Check your portion sizes are they the size of your palm and fist?  Keep pluggin away.

I noticed today when I got home from work, I could not sit down.  I normally come home and sit down for 15-20 minutes and read the paper.  I could not sit still so I got up after about 2 minutes.  Metabolism must be in overdrive.  I have one more meal today, but probably going to have to force myself to eat - not very hungry at all.  Maybe just a shake.

Does anyone know if there is an easier way to login to this site?  I click on the login link and it takes me out to my account settings and then I have to come back into the forum.  Yada, Yada, Yada, what a pain.

Tears will get you sympathy, sweat will get you results.

• OK...I completely fell off the wagon!  My early free day turned into 4 free days after a run-in with a wicked witch at work had me in tears and back into my old habits.  My husband made the kids' lunches yesterday and another witch told me off for being a working mother at my kids' school.  

Jim746 - love the quote at the bottom of your post.  So very apt!

I thought about restarting but I think what I really need to do is teach myself some more resilience.  So, back into it and no more excuses to quit.  I have taken the day off work as the kids and I are exhausted.  I am taking the day to get organised and to have a rest.  I need to harden up and stand up for myself without the tears.

Your posts are a wonderful motivator for me.  I am going to go straight through until next weekend without a free day to get myself back on track.  I'll post my progress and weigh-in on Monday  :)

• Good to see everyone still hanging in there.  UBW for me today.  I'm actually implementing the P90x workout in place of the weights - what an INCREDIBLE workout!  It truly works out every angle of each muscle group like nothing I've ever experienced.  

Like some of you, my free day for food turned into more of a free weekend.  Still, 2 days of eating bad is better than 7!  Need to have better discipline for that.  Also, still have to workout my workouts with my travel schedule to and from home on the weekends.  I get back to my apartment on Monday around 7p and still have to get my workout in, because I leave home at 4:30a to drive back to work.  The rest of my workouts are in the morning.  By the time I get done with my Monday workout, it's really too late to eat (nor do I want to).  Gotta keep trying new ways on this.

Jeremiah 29:11

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  This is a time for us to be focused on our future.  We are putting in the work today in order to get the results we want tomorrow.  Make time to exercise your spiritual fitness, too.

• Good morning everyone!

Today was HIIT, and I demolished the elliptical. At least, it felt like I did. I didn't actually go any further than usual (My current goal is to get to 2 miles in the 20 minutes, it takes about 25 right now), but I felt like I was on top of the world the whole time. I was tired this morning, but definitely hit that runner's high.

Breakfast- since I feel the need to share when a good tasting food comes from this- was a delicious wrap. I used two egg whites (1/2 c. egg beaters), with diced steak (leftovers!), green peppers, low-fat Mexican cheese and some salsa on a wheat tortilla wrap. It was delicious- probably the best thing so far, and definitely authorized!

Jim746- regarding the login, I think I have a different way but I don't think it's any easier... I come to the forum, then open a new tab on a random profile and use that to log in, then refresh the forum page. There are a few things about this site that need some work, but I think EAS has focused more of its attention on Bill Phillips' transformation site at this point. Either way, it works, albeit a bit cumbersome.

Today's scripture-

Romans 4:17- "(As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickens the dead, and calls those things that be not as though they were."

Abraham was a man- really the first man- of faith. Of course Adam, Noah and countless others believed on God, but Abraham was the one who's faith God counted worthy of a covenant. This is where we get this scripture from- his actions of calling those things that be not as though they were are a demonstration to us of faith in action. When we speak out our goals, when we call ourselves what we want to become, we are destined to become that very thing. I thank God every morning that I ALREADY lost weight, that I ALREADY fit into my goal size clothing. Faith believes that it happens before it sees it happen, and is just waiting on our words to call it out!

Keep believing, keep speaking and keep releasing faith. We cannot waver, we cannot falter- but we'll press on and see each and every part of this come to fruition in our lives. We'll have our Body for Life!

• Hi Jenfromoz,

Your 4 free days is exactly why I am so scared to even take a free day until I feel strong enough to handle it. I understand and empathize comfort measures in the form of food.. it gets our serotonin up, even for just a second so we feel better. It's a natural thing for humans to do, so don't beat yourself up too hard.. it's physiology ;-) I think it's great that you didn't start over and just kept going. I think starting over doesnt teach us anything.. but i think when you push on - that's where lessons are learned.

• So yesterday was my fifth day.. going strong with no sugar or alcohol. Those are my habits. I always have a glass of wine when I'm making dinner on the weekdays, and on the weekends I allow myself a little bit more if the mood strikes. Sugar - that's something I learned to become addicted to due to 2 years of school-related driving back and forth from Palm Springs to L.A. very late at night. Sugar and caffeine kept me wired and awake those 2 hour trips.. now getting rid of that habit is the best thing ever.. it feels amazing to not have to rely on sugar to keep me going!

Yesterday I got my 70 mins of cardio in and kept on a good diet. I am still waiting for my BFL book to come in the mail so I can actually do the plan that everyone's journaling about.

Today I'm looking forward to another amazing day of healthy eating and exercise. I know I need to start doing weights so today i will also take some time to design a weight-training regimen. If anyone can send out some pointers... that would be great!

• SMSwise - thanks for the tip that's a lot better than the way I was doing it.

If you tripped and fell on your way to work, would you turn around, go home and never return?

OF COURSE NOT!

By that logic, one bad day or binge shouldn't ruin your fitness goals, either!

Everyday you are one step closer to a new you - now make it happen one day at a time.

• Who's still here? Seem to have lost a few already, hope you're just missing internet and not your workouts. Don't fall off the wagon- you can do this!

Today was UBWO. My shoulders are quite sore, I actually began to feel the peak at each muscle group today- which was great. Learning to single out that specific muscle that I'm targeting is helpful to make sure that's the only (or main) one that I'm working. I've been watching a lot of Scott Herman's videos on YouTube to be sure my form is right. I'm not lifting heavier weights yet, but I'm getting better with the ones I'm at. My tens are still tens, so until that changes I know I'm still pushing it!

My little guy was sick last night, so sleep wasn't really there, but went to the gym anyways. I'll sleep later, need that workout! So glad I went. But, definitely needed the Word today to get me through. I was repeating today's scripture over and over again, and charging myself up with it:

Luke 24:49- "Behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high."

Of course, the apostles experienced that power after waiting in the Upper Room in Acts 1, 2. But, that power- that promise- is the promise of the Holy Spirit, which the Bible says now resides in the heart. I've been endued with power- literally strength- from God. No weight seems too much, muscle failure is just this body but my spirit has the strength of God. Based today's workout on that and pressed through each and every attempt at muscle failure.

You can do this! You have what it takes! Have a great day everyone!

• Still here!

UBWO today, focusing on shoulders, bi's and tri's.  Great workout with lots of energy.  

Breakfast was the turkey sausage and egg white burrito recipe.  It was very tasty.  

I had forgotten how much better my morning workouts are as opposed to evening workouts.  High energy that carries you through the day.  Much like reading scripture to start the day; there's no better way.

Speaking of, I cling to the following passage during this time:

2 Kings

15 When the servant of the man of God rose early in the morning and went out, behold, an army with horses and chariots was all around the city. And the servant said, “Alas, my master! What shall we do?” 16 He said, “Do not be afraid, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them.” 17 Then Elisha prayed and said, “O Lord, please open his eyes that he may see.” So the Lord opened the eyes of the young man, and he saw, and behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.

When times of trial are all we see around us, we need to start looking with our spiritual eyesight.  God's Army is always surrounding us, protecting us.  We just need to call out to our Father and he will provide our calvary of strength.

• Is it too late to join this group? I started on Feb. 18 also. I have attempted Body for Life many, MANY times over the last ten years, and have never been able to do it. I am truly committed this time. I am on day 10 and so far so good. I am journalling and logging everything in the SUCCESS book. It has helped tremendously. I find myself struggling already though because I want to see results, but I don't see any. I know its only day 10, but I thought there'd at least be something. I'm thinking about not weighing myself till the twelve weeks are over. Starting weight is 174. Goal is 150.  

• bbj- good word! Love studying Elijah and Elisha, and the way they were used. So many lessons there.

Finallyfinish- definitely not too late! Welcome aboard. What ways are you looking for results? If it's only by the scale- stop! That's one of the last places to watch for results, and the first to discourage. Instead, check everything else- body fat, measurements and whether you can lift more weights. I'm still at the same weights I started with, but I felt like I had more control over them today- so i count that a little victory. Each little victory will see us through to the big one at the end of the program! You can do it this time!

• You guys have a great thread going!  Keep up all the good work!  Let me know if there is anything I can help with.

Brian Miller

2012 Body-for-LIFE Champion, Mens 30-45

Brian

2012 Body-for-LIFE Champion, Mens 30-45

• ... hope you're just missing internet and not your workouts.

Unfortunately missing both so far this week. Been fighting major tendinitis flare-ups plus a bad cold / flu / whatever today on top of 'em. Just walking in a straight line was an accomplishment. I'm hanging on doggedly to the meal plan and proper hydration since I can do those no matter how badly my body's misfiring.

My big mistake in my first challenge after my workouts got sidelined in week 9 by tendinitis, was not keeping up the meal plan all the way through those last three weeks. I think that mentally I decided "this challenge is over", which my subconscious interpreted as "I've quit", and so once my tendons settled down and I could have gotten back on the program, I didn't. I'm not making the same mistake this time.

Once I get over this sickness, if my body still can't handle regular workouts I'm going to start experimenting with gentler workouts (flexibility, range-of-motion, balance, etc.). That way I can at least be doing something positive and start re-building a workout habit.

• Mr. Miller- thanks for the encouragement! And congratulations on your winning the challenge!

mstickles- Hope I didn't make that sound too rough. I read somewhere that soft exercises that still challenge your strength and stamina, like Yoga, are great for folks with tendonitis.

So much of the program is dependent on food. I lost 60 pounds before starting BFL just by eating right, without much exercise. I'm sure you'll still see the results- don't get discouraged out of the whole thing, but give 110% to what you know you can do without a doubt!

• mstickles- Hope I didn't make that sound too rough.

Oh, no, not at all. You came across as "c'mon guys, we're all in this together, don't give up, you can do it!" And frankly, that's why I'm here - I need that. Last time I tried to start a challenge without a support group, I crashed miserably and quit around week three at the first major setback - which wasn't nearly as bad as what I'm dealing with now. I'd like to believe I could stick with it this time even without the support, but I'm definitely not confident enough to put that to the test.

I read somewhere that soft exercises that still challenge your strength and stamina, like Yoga, are great for folks with tendonitis.

I'd forgotten about yoga - which is odd since the folding mat I picked up a couple of weeks ago (for working out on my apartment floor) has a bunch of yoga poses printed on it. Hidden in plain sight. Will have to look into that, thanks for the reminder. Also dusting off my old Tai Chi DVD and checking out a couple of other programs I ran across. We'll see what I can manage.