Starting 2/18

• Is everyone working out before work? I need to be in work at 430 AM so unless I want to be waking up at 230-3 I'm not doing that. Do you think I should up the cardio by 10 minutes because I'm doing it around 12PM?

• Skipped the workout last night so I could get my meals organized and get a decent amount of sleep - so, of course, I tossed and turned all night, slept horribly, then overslept this morning and had no time for a workout (was a little late for work as it was). Today is a 14-hour shift at work so I won't have time tonight. I'm going to push my midday meal back an hour or so, and use my actual lunch break (which just started) to get a "power walking" session in. Can't do a real HIIT session 'cause I'll sweat like crazy, and I don't have enough time for both a workout and a shower. Tomorrow afternoon I should have time to get an HIIT session in.

• DomFruch- I work at 830, so I usually hit the gym at 7. But at 430, I don't blame you!

I've read that if you're going to do a midday workout, they recommend eating as light as possible for your second meal, and to make sure it's at least three hours before your workout. But, there's nothing in there about going harder or longer, just controlling your mealtimes differently.

Hope that helps!

• Goals:

I'm thinking it would be good for all of us to put our goals in here. It gets them out in the open- and makes us accountable to them (as much as a web forum can)!

I'll start!

At the end of 12 weeks, I will:

Have lost 50 pounds of fat

Brought my body fat down to 15%

Fit into a 44 suit and a 30-32 waist.

Be a better husband and father

Give all the glory to God

Win the challenge for my age group!

• Got 25 minutes in, not much "power" in the "walking", but at least it's something. My two takeaways:

1. I'm in lousy shape compared to the end of my last challenge
    2. I'm in better shape than I was when I started my last challenge

Last challenge when I got sidelined by tendinitis, I still managed to drop almost 2 lbs of fat in 2 weeks just following the meal plan without being able to do any workouts; if I make sure I'm doing something even when Murphy is ruling with an iron fist, it should work out OK. Don't know if I'll make the "Fifty by 50" goal I set this year - to lose 50 pounds of fat by my 50th birthday this summer (lost 5 by the start of the challenge, only 45 to go!) - but with almost two challenge periods to get it done in, I like my chances.

• Day 1 & 2 have gone very well so far.  I did 20 minutes of cardio today on treadmill (thought I was dying ;-) I don't usually push myself that hard.  I haven't had any food cravings...yet.  I do really think it helps knowing everything is not off limits forever.  I always think of food as "all or nothing".  I either eat really good or I have one little slip and say "I blew it - I might as well just binge all day".  Knowing we have a free day seems to help my mindset.  

Thanks for all the posts, hearing from all of you is very encouraging!

Shelly

• I'm with you all! Excited to be here and excited for Day #3 tmrw! Lets do this!

• Another day! Did lower body today... I had to psych myself up for crunches, but they're done. My arms and legs are like jello today.

How's everyone doing with the food side of things? I'm enjoying the portions- they're keeping fuller longer than I thought they would so I may have to adjust. The whey protein shakes are pretty good too, not as watery as I remember.

Scripture for today- Philippians 4:13. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." I don't have much to say on this verse that isn't summed up completely in the Amplified version... "I have strength for all things in Christ Who empowers me [I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him Who [infuses inner strength into me; I am self-sufficient in Christ’s sufficiency]." How awesome to have the strength of God infused into us! That makes any rep, any ten seem so much easier knowing we have that strength to tap into.

Stay strong everyone!

• I just completed my day three workout (lower body) and walked for 30 minutes.  I also just finished my breakfast of egg beaters with some onions, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, and ham.  I also had some oatmeal on the side with a cup of skim milk.  I am doing well on my diet and don’t really feel hungry until about 9:00 at night (last meal for me is a 6:00).  I just ignore it and move on with my evening.

Sounds like everyone is doing a great and I can’t wait to see where we all are in four weeks.  My personal goal is to drop 65lbs in 12 weeks.  We’ll see how that works out…

• Hello all.  I have been tracking this forum since mid last week and could not get my computer to let me reply to the posts.  Got that all squared away now and began on 2/18, so I am looking forward to working along side each of you and we achieve our goals.  

• Welcome, bbj2673!

• I've been following the nutrition guide to a T. Every 3 hours I'm consuming something (i.e. Food/whey protein) and it has made me full. I'm using My Fitness Pal App on my iphone and computer to track my calories and I seem to be hitting 1800-2000 a day. This seems a little low to me so I might up the calories if I start feeling tired. One thing I have noticed is that I have lost some water weight. Drinking water all day really has cleansed my body out. I started Monday at 220 and weighed myself this morning at 214.6. Obviously it's water weight, but it's still keeping me motivated. I would suggest everyone to use their computer or iphone to track their nutriotion at MyFitnessPal (.com if computer). It really has done me wonders thus far. It puts everything into perspective.  I'm off in 3 hours to hit lower body. Can't wait!

Add me on MFP at DomFruch02

• MyFitnessPal is a great program.  I use it on my phone and on the cpu.  You can also pre-select additional information other than calories.  Such as, I have pre-hypertension, so I set it up to keep tabs on my sodium intake among all the other information it collects.  Also comes with a barcode scanner, so you just scan the label off your food and it will analyze the nutritional value on the spot.  Very handy to have.

Current stats:  44 years old, 6'7", 286 lbs, around 30% bf, borderline high blood pressure.  I have been moderately active off and on most of my life.  Went through a divorce 3 years ago and let myself go to pot.  By the grace of God I'm moving forward and living a renewed life.  

My goals:

Reach my goal weight of 240lbs

Under 20% bf

Relieve blood pressure concerns

Truly live a life worthy of His sacrifice

I'm really encouraged by all the posts.  Looking forward to the journey.

• Finished up DAY3(Lower body) for the first time today and all I can say is, "WOW, those dumbbell lunges were brutual. I did 30# for 12,10,8, then went down to 20# for the rest. Muscle failure big time! Hope everyone is well.

• Day 3 in the books. My legs refused to hold up for an HIIT session, so I did a shortened upper body workout and then took it outside for a brisk 20-minute walk (would have done more but it's freezing out there - I forgot to consider the wind).

I'd better just plan on keeping the workouts light to moderate until my body tells me it's ready to handle more. As my old martial arts instructor would say when I came to class with injuries (which was probably half the time), "Do what you can do." He had a way of saying it that made his meaning crystal clear - don't try to do more than you can do, but don't slack off and do less, either.