How much water is too much?

• I was curious how much water is too much? I drink between .75 of a gallon and 1.25 gallons a day. I feel good, but I am just looking for feedback.

Thanks for the help. These forums help me stay on track!!

BigTony

• I would say no more than 2g a day. Even than, I think 2g is pushing it. I've heard many stories of people dying because they have drank so much water. What happens is basically, you're cells burst. Also, I forget why, but the more water you drink, the more thirsty your body feels (like I said, I should know this, but I forget why.) My professor said it's good to drink gatorade drinks because you know when you've had enough. You know you've had enough when it starts to taste real salty. And if you need it, it tastes real sweet. It's still good to drink water, obviously, but if I were you, I'd add in some extra gatorade.

• Thanks for the info! I know that I need to consume about .75 of a gallon, so that my sides don't ache during my HIIT training. I will try the gatorade thing.

Thanks again.

BigTony

• BigTony: I try to drink 4L every day. From what I have read, the body can digest efficiently 2cups per hour. If you drink more, it just gets peed out. The scare of dying from too much water is ONLY from drinking excessive amounts fast - speed drinking. Electrolytes get out of whack. Drink anything in large amounts fast - same results.

For me, I fill my 2L just when I wake up and then again at dinner time. I also drink coffee in between and as that is a diuretic, I really want to get in my 4L of clean water.

You are doing great, keep it up. Just pace yourself. I hope that makes sense.

• I fill up a gallon jug of water in the morning and usually drink all that plus a few extra 20oz bottles.  

Gatorade is full of sugar and calories.  I wouldn't think that would be a good substitute for water.  Sports drinks are good for hydration during a workout but not for regular consumption.  I'd think maybe drink one during your workout and water the rest of the day.   I don't know that the BFL workouts really would require a sports drink.  I would think that would be more beneficial for prolonged exercise like playing sports or running.   Maybe someone who knows more will chime in.  I'm curious now! :)

• Was just reading an article last night on sports drinks...filled with a lot of sugar and empty calories; the article suggested diluting it with 1/2 water.

I see parents all the time bringing their kids Gatorades/Powerades to games, and they are big ol bottles...just want to yell at them, "Read the label!!!" My own kids drink water, if they get Gatorade, it's a treat! lol!

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...

• Thanks for all of the great info. It seems like I am pretty much on during the day. I drink about two cups in the morning before my workout and bring a gallon jug with me to work. By the end of the day, I finish that jug but not always.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement.

BigTony

• Hello everyone!

I can't imagine that gatorade is really a good way to "spend" your carbs.  12oz. of gatorade has about 21gms sugars....yuck!!  Your body would rather you "spend" your carbs on brown rice, oatmeal, or sweet potato.  If you are a long distance runner, I bet gatorade is great for replacing electrolytes, but I can't see it being useful to too many others.  Maybe I am wrong.  Can a seasoned vet chime in?

A great place to get professional information though is by calling the BFL folks at 800-297-9776 (8:30am-5:00pm Mon-Fri. EST)

• I'm only on Day 3, but I have only consumed water so far.  I don't mind it, but my wife is already getting tired of not having her diet soda, etc.  Is V-8, Orange juice, or other alternatives to water acceptable?

• I'm in the "skip the gatorade" camp.  Empty worthless calories.  I understand for endurance activities how replenishing electrolytes is beneficial.  We are not doing endurance activities in BFL.

For the past 6 weeks I have had coffee in the morning when I get up and then after that it is water all day.  My results have been awesome, down 19 lbs in 6 weeks.

<<<<< Tough Love Alert >>>>>

LandyNoLonger, If your wife has the occasional V-8, or Orange Juice it would probably be little harm done.  Save it for free day.  If she consistently replaces her water with these, I doubt she will see great results.  Although "natural" these are not a good carb or hydration replacement...no fiber.  Lots of calories..better choices can be made.

How about a squeeze of lemon in her water, or even fresh made unsweetened iced tea with lemon?

• Thanks JamesK, that's kind of what I was thinking.  

• I don't necessarily drink gatorade in place of water. I mostly drink it as soon as I wake up, and around dinner time. I'm not worried about the carbs/sugars too much, I get the stuff with zero calories. I'm still pretty young and the metabolism is still at it's peak...for now anyways haha. You are right though, it's not to replace water at all. Sorry if someone took it that way when I said it. I didn't mean to replace water with it, just drink it sparingly. I try to drink 2 glasses of it a day. Not to mention, I have a bum kidney (right) and it's important that all of my electrolytes remain at homeostasis, which is why I drink it in the AM and PM to kinda flush everything out. But drink plenty of water!!!

• Bump - for you Charlie!

• I have heard that you should strive for half your body weight in ounces. In other words I weigh @ 162 so I would try to drink 80-81 ounces per day. This formula has worked very well for me. More seems like too much.

• Winner54 is correct.

Love you some you...PERSEVERE!