Starting 01.21.13 - anyone want to join?

• I am going to start posting these at the beginning of the Week! This is the "Weekly Challenge Guide" for Week 7 :) Written by Deana Langham, Finalist back in 2005! If anyone wants to go through and read through all the previous weeks, they are all great; filled with concise good advice and interesting perspectives from people that have successfully completed this BFL Challenge and were recognized for it! If you do want to find them, go to the Home Page and click on "The Challenge" tab on the purple menu bar, then select "Weekly Challenge Guide" - then click on whichever one you want to check out...

Conquering the “Mini” Challenges

Hi, I’m Deana Langham, now a 63-years-young grandmother who was fortunate enough to be one of the 15 finalists in 2005. I understand that you are at the point where you may be experiencing “challenges” within your Challenge and I would like to share how I dealt with some of my mini-challenges.

As I got leaner and added more muscle, I found that my hunger would spike on the days I did my leg workout, so I would do what I call, “Stoking the Furnace”. Here’s how:

Meals 2 and 5 I added an extra ounce of protein

Meals 3 and 4 I added a protein muffin

Meal 6 I added half an Myoplex® bar

This would up my calories with good fuel and convince my body that I was not about to deprive it. The end result was that my energy level and metabolism would both get a boost.

I didn’t take free days, but I did take free meals. Remember, Body-for-LIFE® is not a diet and exercise program, rather a way of living a lifestyle that yields tremendous dividends and rewards. Make it fun and pleasurable to all your senses! Above all else, please, please, please when you feel discouraged or you hit a plateau, call the wonderful people at EAS®. Never ever think that your stumbling blocks are trivial—ask for guidance! The people at EAS® are your road map for this incredible journey you are on. You are worthy of reaching “Your Own Personal Best”. Good luck and God bless!

If you have questions please call EAS at 1-800-297-9776.

• I agree with what Deana says.  I am a lot more hungry on days that I lift.  I've been adding more vegetables on those days, but maybe I need to be adding more protein.  I might start adding an extra scoop of cottage cheese to a couple of meals on lifting days.  Can't hurt too much.  It's only 80 calories a serving anyway.

Today I had to make up for some lost time I had earlier this week due to the stomach bug.  I did LBWO and had to do a cardio session right afterwards.  I thought I was going to die for a little while, but I managed to get it done.  That's the second time I've had to do that because of being sick during the week.  Hopefully I have all of my sicknesses out of the way and can finish this challenge without any other problems.  Or.....  If I have to be sick again hopefully I'll be lucky and have it be during a week that I have UBWO 2 times so the cardio won't kill me on Saturday.

Also, I have been wanting to upload some pictures, but dont see how to do it through my profile.  Anybody have instructions on this?

Hope all is well with everyone else.

Justin

• Wrapping up Week 7 Gladiators!!! ;) Yaaay!

Took my progress photos and measurements this morning instead of tomorrow morning because I knew I was gonna cheat a bit this evening, and so glad I did becuz they are def by far my best yet!!! Soooo Exciting! I took them in the same bikini as my "Before Pic" and OMG I look like a completely different person! It's hard to believe that was ONLY 7 weeks ago... Don't know if I've dropped any actual weight yet (looks like it, but haven't gotten a scale since last week). However I have released 6.5 inches overall so far and I am seeing the muscle tone starting to emerge! I think that cutting out all that coffee creamer made a huge difference (almost an extra 1000 calories a week that I wasn't accounting for!)

Justin - I have had some major ups and downs physically (getting reeeaally sick also) during this Challenge. I have some Medical issues that have played their part, however there is also a massive toxic release that happens when we make big changes like this. I just recently started taking a supplement to help my body detox without having to go through all the yuck. It's called Activated Charcoal, you can buy it at Sprouts for about 10 bucks and it is soooo worth it!!!! I take (x4) Caplets p/d

As far as uploading photos, I guess there are a couple ways. If you want to add an image as an Attachment, then once you have finished writing your post, hit Reply. Then click on the "little pen" icon below and it will take you to an editing page. From there select "Options", then browse and select your image. Finally click Post and it will add a small attachment icon to the post that you had just written. From there it can opened and viewed.

The other way I haven't tried yet, however I guess you just click on "Use Rich Formatting" and it will prompt you from there (and this way your image will appear larger and directly into the feed). I am actually going to try that so I can post some progress photos side by side. Looking forward to seeing ur pix!

Hope Everyone is having a great Weekend and ENJOY your FREE DAY tomorrow (David!!! ;) Heheh

xoxo Kat

•   This is what is Possible in ONLY 7 Weeks!!! Incredible...

• DAY 48 - Body for LIFE Journal daily Lesson-for-LIFE:

"The healthier and stronger your muscles, the healthier and stronger your body!" By now, I am sure you've experienced a significant increase in strength. In fact, right now, if you turn back to Day 1 and look at the weights you were lifting during your first upper body workout and then look at the weights you used in yesterday's workout, you'll see significant progress. That's one of the payoffs of the journal you've been writing - you can clearly measure the positive results you're experiencing at this point. And you can plan upcoming workouts to ensure your strength continues to climb. Rememeber, wherever you can measure progress, you can make progress. As your muscles are getting stronger, realize you're improving your health in many ways. Your metabolism is increasing, which means you're burning fat faster each and every day and night. The healthier and stronger your muscles, the healthier and stronger your body! ~Bill Phillips~

Having and USING the BFL Journal has been so crucial to my Successes so far. It can def feel like another "to-do" in the beginning, but it actually really helps to "laser point" and take the guess work out! Now, I LOVE it and keep it with me almost everywhere I go to keep everything in my Life organized. And it's also a great way to introduce this to other people who are craving a change like this in their Lives. Truly tap into "The Universal Law of Reciprocation" and you can have ANYTHING!!!

GNight Gladiators xoxo kat

• Great progress Kat! You look great in your pictures, you can see all the progress you have made! The best part is how much you are glowing in your newest picture! Can't wait to see you after 12 weeks!

• Happy Sunday Gladiators!

This will be short as I am sending from my phone at the Calgary airport on my way back to Phoenix. Kat - I come up every couple of weekends so it was definitely not an extended vacation. My hubby is working on a project here in Canada for the next 18-24 months. He comes home most weekends but I make the trip at least one a month. It's beautiful in the Canadian Rockies and I have made some good friends up here so it's a nice change of pace. We had a ball snowmobiling yesterday. So much fun!  We also took in a couple of great meals at funky local restaurants and went to hear the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra play last night. They were amazing!

Sorry to hear about the injuries out there. Be careful and listen to your body. Hang in there :-). Knees and shoulders - no fun.

I am going to follow the path of some of our rock star gentlemen here and add more cardio. I have added motivation to up my game. My hubby surprised me with breakfast in bed this morning and an upcoming vacation. He has never done either before so I know he is trying to prove to me that he is the one for me. He's also making up for being a jerk and making stupid senseless mistakes ;-). We all make mistakes and he really is doing the work to fix what's broke so I'll take it!!  We are doing a scuba trip to Belize at the end of May. I need to be swimsuit ready by then. My plan - more cardio, 4up weight training to 4 days a week weights (2 upper and 2 lower) and super clean eating. I want to see how far I can really push myself in that amount of time!!!!  

Hope everyone had an amazing weekend!

~Sharon

"Believe"

• Hey all!

Checking in! Finished out the week strong by hiking the AZ Superstition Mountain Peralta Trail to the top to see Weavers Needle. It was a 4 hour hike round trip and l burned some calories for sure… I’ve got to do that more often. It was better than the Arc Trainer and much more scenic.

Here’s’ a shot of me at the top.

Keep it everybody! We are almost there!!!

• Hope all you Gladiators had a great free day!

Melissa - howdy neighbor! It is a small world. My wife is from Tyler (not sure if I already mentioned that). Both my sons graduated from Longview High.  My wife teaches G.T. for K-5 in Longivew ISD.  Your dad lives in Wildwood. I may have ran by his house about a month ago where Parke Way Fitness had their annual Cupid Run. (Part of it was behind Toyota of Longview).  Which Mesquite school did you go to?  Been to quite a few football games at both Hanby and Memorial Stadium since Longivew was in same district as Mesquite for many years.  Hope you had a great weekend!

Kat - I did enjoy a rest day yesterday, thanks! It did involve driving down to Conroe (near Houston) to celebrate my monther's 74th birthday.  Great to see her and family members that I had not seen in a while.  I drove back today and did get a cardio in this evening.  Would've felt guilty had I taken off two days in a row.  Now I'm preparing for the final 4 weeks.  Got a lot of work to do.  Your latest pic looks great - yowza!  How did you get your pics small enough to show comparison?  My photo took up a lot of space.  You're transformation to date is nothing short of impressive and can't wait to see you week 12 pics!  Keep it going Kat!!

Mr Guy - great pic!  Would love to live out in an area where I could hike.  Great way to have a workout.  Feel's good to be on top, eh?

I haven't weighed yet, but plan to have my 8 week totals by Tuesday morning.  The trainer that weighs and measures me is out tomorrow so it will be a day late.  Hopefully will have some additonal progress.  At least my 19 year old son who hadn't seen me in about 2 months said, "wow Dad! you have a V shape and are looking ripped!"  Guess who read the BFL book and is starting challenge when he goes back to shool?

Goodnight all!

• OH.MY.GOD. YOU. GUYS!!!!!

I am so sorry.  I am returning with my head hung low and tail between my legs.  I don't really know what happened.  I missed a few days at the gym, then I came down with a horrible viral upper respiratory infection for a week - I had fevers, chills, etc. and was curled up in a ball for 4 days.  Ugh!  Then I spent the last week catching up at work from being out sick.  Here I am on Sunday night feeling sad because I am a solid 3 weeks behind.  I did do cardio a couple times in that period, however since it wasn't consistent it is not really countable.

I'm back at the gym tomorrow!  I'm still down 5 lbs.  I still want this.

I just finished catching up on ALL the posts and I am so proud of this group!  We have even added people!  WELCOME to all the adds!

Kat - You are looking fabulous!  So proud of you.

Sharon - I'm so glad you are a fighter.  A GLADIATOR in fact! :-)

Here's to hoping your guys will have me back!

XOXO,

Shea

• HAPPY MONDAY!!!!!

@Shea - welcome back and NO APOLOGIES!  We totally missed you.  I took a little hiatus too so jump back in - you're just a good workout and a day of clean eating away from being right back on track.  My plan all along was back-to-back challenges so I'll be here for a while.  I keep hoping (selfishly of course) that others will either do multiple challenges or just stay connected here to keep with the new lifestyle after their initial 12 week challenge.  It's body for LIFE not for 12 weeks.  

@MrGuy - do you live in the Valley of the Sun as well????  Love the picture in the Superstitions!  Nice definition in the shoulders!  The San Tans are right behind my house (Queen Creek) and I need to get myself out there this weekend.  I love hiking South Mountain and Camelback but they are always so crowded on the weekends and are too far away to hit during the week.

@Kat - your 7 week pictures are terrific.  Love the idea of rotating back through your bikinis.  It definitely helps show the progress.  Friday must have been a heck of a storm.  My lawn furniture was all over the yard and in the pool.  There is still water in our retention basins so lots of rain I assume. I love rainy days in Arizona because we just don't get them very often.  According to my weather app, it's supposed to hit 90 this week.  Ummmmm....so not ready for summer yet!

@Melissa - did you get your pictures taken and your measurements done?  How's it going with your daughter?  

@David - Your pic is awesome!  Great tone and definition in your torso.  Your son is right to be proud of you and your "V" shaped bod.  Can't wait to see the before pic and the 12 week pic!

@Eric - how are you?  How is the knee and shoulder?

@Justin - how are you feeling?  

@Amy, Bart, Laurie, Lor, hapkym05 - how's it going out there?  Still with us????

I put my "turbo" BFL plan into effect today to help get me as ready as I can be for vacation in May :-)  I added an extended cardio session this morning on the stairclimber keeping my heartrate in the "fat burning" zone.  Good grief - I forgot how LONG 45 minutes feels after doing HIIT workouts for so many weeks.  I have Netflix that I can stream through my TV so I did my early morning workout while watching an episode of Nikita.  My daughter recommended the series and I like it so far.  I will only let myself watch it while I workout though so it's added incentive!  I will get in my UBWO this evening.  I used Kat's way of thinking and now have a tracking ticker on my computer screen - 18 UBWO, 18 LBWO, 27 HIIT, and 27 Fat Burning Cardio sessions until Belize!!!!!  I got this :-)

Have you all heard the paper towel analogy?  I woke up thinking about it today.  I'll pull it up and post it separately.  It might be helpful as we continue our journey.

Have a great BFL day Gladiators!

~Sharon

• Paper Towel Analogy

Let's assume you go out and buy two rolls of paper towels, each with only 84 paper towels on it (one for each day of the challenge). You put one aside, and keep it for future reference (your before/ picture).

The other one represents you (I'll call your paper towel you "Ed"). The core represents the lean Ed. The towels represent the fat that is covering the lean Ed. For sake of argument, let's say that Ed wants to lose 21 pounds of fat, so (84/21) each sheet represents a quarter-pound of fat lost. Let's also assume that Ed loses his fat equally during each day of the challenge.

Each day during the first week, you tear a sheet off of Ed, representing the fat he has lost for the day. Next, you put Ed next to the full roll ("Big Al") for comparison. No noticeable difference!!! Even at the end of the week! This can't be working for me!

But, being a good Ed, you continue to follow Body-for-LIFE. At the end of weeks two and three, you continue to compare Ed to Big Al, and still notice very little difference. That stinkin' Bill Phillips MUST be a liar!

But Ed is determined! He works hard! Three more weeks go by, the sheets peeling off day after day, before Ed gets up the courage to stand next to Big Al again. Holy Myoplex! Ed is skinny! OK, not skinny, but less huge!!!

By the end of the 12-week Body-for-LIFE program, Ed is down to his lean dream, or somewhere near it. Ed is happy. We are happy. Big Ed - well he's not so happy.

The lesson to be learned is that fat, like paper towels, comes off in sheets. When you are heavy, you are big around. And when you are big around,that fat is spread over a MUCH larger area - just like that outside towel sheet. The closer you get to the lean you, the more each lost pound of fat shows, because it is spread over a smaller area.

While the outside sheet may only cover 1 layer of the roll, the inside sheet may go around 4 times. That last sheet looks like it gives you 4 times the results of the first sheet, but in reality, the results are the same - your perception is just different! And you'll never see the inside, if you aren't patient while the outside is coming off!

~Sharon

"Believe"

• Hi Sharon,

Yes, I live very close to Queen Creek in Gilbert.

I probably should have started out with an easier trail because I must admit that there are muscles in my legs that are sore that I didn’t even know were there. I can barely walk today. That had to of been the most extreme leg workout I’ve had in a very long time. LOL

Can’t wait to do  it again :)

• Welcome to Day 1 of Week 8 Team Gladiators!!!

I LOVE that Paper Towel Analogy Sharon, it is sooo true! We are at that crucial "Tipping Point" where according to the "Slight Edge Philosophy" (phenomenal book to read BTW - will change your entire perspective about ANYTHING that you do in Life!!!) the Compound Effect is about to kick in! I just read the Week 8 Challenge Guide, in which he talks exactly about this point... NOW is the time to turn up the heat because we have just approached the "Magic Zone" where the weight melts off and the muscles emerge- Yeeeaaaahhhhh!!! Read below... (Written by Kenny Fernandez - 2005 BFL Finalist ;)

Shoot for the Moon

Now you have the hang of the 12-week transformation. You should be noticing your pants fitting a little looser or your shirts not as snug. Meals should be easier to coordinate and the workouts will be more intense. You have four weeks to go and a lot will happen in this time.

Week 8 is when I think your metabolism and muscles are just getting into sync with the work you have displayed for the previous weeks. This means that over the next four weeks you will have the biggest fat loss and the best muscle gain. There is no time to slack off; you are in the final stage of the best time of your life. Live the next four weeks in great focus to the body and mind you have worked so hard for.

Remember your goals you made at the beginning of your Challenge; this is when you should really be pushing to achieve them. Make sure that you are holding yourself accountable and conquer the mountain you are climbing. Pushing your limits helps in all aspects of your life, from work to family to even Body-for-LIFE®. I always say, “Shoot for the moon and if you don’t succeed, you still fall with the stars.” Something is better than nothing, but EVERYTHING is better than something. Go get it, you deserve it!

Your Body-for-LIFE® Brother,

Kenny Fernandez

Top 15 Finalist 2005 Body-for-LIFE® Challenge

MrGuy - Another fellow Arizonan - Yay!!!

Shea - You are the cutest thing ever! Soooo happy to have you back with US! xoxo

Really wiped today, so gonna keep it short and sweet tonight. Lots of Light and Love to EVERYONE! xo Kat

• Oh, your Paper Towel story reminded me of a "Toilet Paper Technique" lol that a very Successful Fitness Transformation Trainer uses with his Clients. Okay, here is your 24 hour Team Gladiator Challenge EVERYONE!!! This will reveal something very interesting about each one of us and especially where we are at Mentally right now.

Within the next 24 hours, go into your bathroom and take note of how your toilet paper dispenses. Do you have the roll facing upwards, where it rolls over like a waterfall? Or does it roll backwards, where the paper dispenses behind the roll???

NOW, regardless of how you have it, I want you to reverse it!!! Heheh. Report back before 11pm tomorrow (Tuesday the 12th) and I will explain the purpose of this sillyness; it's actually very eye opening...