Food Boredome

• Ok folks.............getting bored with my diet! I just started week 5.  I am getting in my 6 meals and sticking to my protein/ carb and 2 veggie rules but need some new ideas. What are your favorite "go to" meals? The easier the better but I am open to make ahead stuff too. I work 12 hour shifts in a busy ER and sometimes only have 5 or 10 minutes to eat at a time. Any suggestions would be great!!!!           Jen :)

The only thing that can stop me. . . . . . . . . . is ME!!!!         JEN

• Here's one of my favorites...ground turkey or chicken with a can of black beans and 1/2 to 3/4 cup salsa; it makes about 3 portions. It even tastes good to me, cold...

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...

• Thanks Debbie. I will try this!! Love anything with salsa on it!! This would be easy to throw on some lettuce and add some tomatoe to as well to get some veggies in. : )

• Lean turkey burgers!!! I LOVE these and the price is reasonable! I found them when I was on the verge of blacking out from chicken and cottage cheese. Buy a bag along with whole wheat thin hamburger buns, and a bottle of lite mayo and low fat mozzerella cheese, and you have it!!

When I am hungry, I take a patty out of the freezer and toss it into the over on broil for about 10 min's. then when it's still steamy hot, put a scoop of mozz. cheese on it, slather a little lite mayo on the buns and a bit of relish and ketchup and I am in HEAVEN!!

Stacy Lynn

• Oh!!! Here's another! (A favorite of my hubbys)

NY. Choice top round steak with a salad. But here's the treat:

Grab a regular size potato, slice into wedges, sprinkle with extra virgin olive oil and season salt, and toss into oven (broil) for maybe 15- 20 mins and you have: STEAK FRIES!!

I also sprinkle just a bit of mozz. cheese (low fat) on top and add some hot sauce or ketchup.

Stacy Lynn

• I ate pretty much the same thing for the first four weeks.  I overdosed on brown rice and discovered Whole Grain pasta...so glad that I did.

For my protein I've stuck with chicken and lean beef, making sure to keep the portion sizes right.  I can't believe that I have already gone through the 4 lb bags of broccoli and green beans in 5 weeks.  That was probably more veggies than I had in the previous year.

1 whole wheat tortilla is a portion for me so chicken wraps with mustard or salsa are my grab-and-go lunch.

I cook every week and package meals up in containers.  This week was grilled beef that I then shredded lightly in my food processor on a bed of whole grain pasta with no fat/low sugar canned pasta sauce.

I live alone and I'm fortunate that I can eat the same thing for a week without getting bored.  I will switch up my main meal each week.  Next week it will be some entree with chicken.  Maybe a cold chicken pasta salad.

• You'll love this if you like Mexican.  I LOVE MEXICAN!  I thought I was going to die not haivng it.   This satisfies my mexican cravings.

Boil some chicken breasts and shred them.  Then saute them in a packet of taco seasoning with water.   They you can put that in the fridge and grab from it all week.   Then throw some chicken in a whole wheat tortilla with some black beans, and a pinch of 2% cheese.   Put a little salsa on top and enjoy!   My kids even love it!

• Thanks for all the ideas. I played around in the kitchen today and came up with a few new meals too. I mixed greek yogurt and canned pumpkin with splenda and pumpkin pie spice and then used it as a dip for cut up apple slices. Yummy!!!!!! My other fav is low fat cottage cheese and a little low sugar pasta sauce on a whole grain english muffin. Like a little pizza but BFL friendly!

• That sounds good!! Might have to "play around" in the kitchen on Sunday! :)

Heather, I think you were looking for the "bean recipe"....here ya go...Here's one of my favorites...ground turkey or chicken with a can of black beans and 1/2 to 3/4 cup salsa; it makes about 3 portions. It even tastes good to me, cold...

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...