100 Days

• Hi all - I did the challenge pretty successfully back in 2003, and have started a few times since then, but have found more and more that it's hard to get myself motivated.   Last year I set a major goal for myself of finishing an ironman triathlon, and although a big goal like that always used to get me going, I found myself resenting my own goal and the training schedule I'd set up for myself.  I went into the race overweight and underprepared and ended up having to drop out without finishing (there were extenuating circumstances, but the truth is, I hadn't trained well enough).

In the little over two months since then, I have been overeating, overdrinking and generally digging myself into a big hole.  When I got on the scale and found myself up 15lbs since September (and I was already heavier than I wanted to be); I finally decided it was time to stop wallowing and start taking care of myself.  My first inclination was to set a bunch of intense execise and weight loss goals and try to kick my own butt back into shape..but I changed my mind.  I don't need to learn how to eat right and exercise - I know how & I have successfully done it several times.  What I don't know how to do, is to find the middle way - to learn how to take care of myself over the long haul.

So I have decided that for the next 100 days, I am going to focus on taking care of myself, eating right , exercising and not drinking.  This hundred days is going to be an exploration of how to best take care of myself and what gets in the way of doing that on a regular basis.  I am not setting any goals, except to commit to the journey, and to checking in daily on here.  I would love have company, if anyone wants to join me (Cheatday :-))  Set your own goals/guidelines and commit to how often you will check in.   See you all tomorrow. Helen

Whatever you can do or dream, begin it.  Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! -Goethe-

Discipline is remembering what you want :-)

• HUGE challenge here for the newbs... but really for all the new folks checking things out here on your first kick at the BFL can, this is the real deal. You want to be on a ride that will take you through your present picture and into your "ideal" picture, be in here. I've been down the BFL road, had amazing results and am 100% behind this program, thing is it's that the person behind the program is usually the same person that continually fails... this thread just might be the one that goes the distance. I've shedded the weight, then piled it right back on, life isn't perfect and we aren't perfect either, I sometimes think that what the world calls "perfect" has nothing to do with the real world. But maybe what I know and feel is that when I'm working out and getting leaner, I feel WAY better about myself and the world in general, that might be the biggest reason why I'm back in here with Helcat to try this again.

CHEATDAY is all in, I hope this one is more than another charm ;-)

Come on folks, lets do it.

Who else REALLY want this, cause if you do then I'm with ya.

Cheatday

ps - someone out here said something like  "discipline is remembering what you want"... why do I keep forgetting?

• I remember that someone, Cheat - trying to rediscover her :-)

My fist day went ok yesterday - worked out at my local gym in the morning, because at the moment I am a little embarassed to work out at the gym where I work - I know it's not true, but I imagine everyone talking behind my back "She's a trainer??  No way - look how fat and out of shape she is!"  I am not following BFL workouts at the moment - just, good, solid whole body strength training.  Today I swim - still have the ironman goal for next year, so I don't want to lose the endurance I have.

Getting to sleep without alcohol was tough last night.  For the past year or so, I have drunk a six-pack virtually every night - yes, even when I was training hard.  I don't think I am an alcoholic per se - not in the chemically dependant sense, but I have certainly been using it to self-medicate my depression (and yes, I know it's a depressant and just makes things worse) and to get to sleep.

The depression has been low-level - I function, but just at a minimal level.  Thing is, the holidays are always hard - especially now that I am watching my dad decline (Alzheimers), and I can't afford to let the depression take over.  I'm determined to get my life back.

I'm sure there are other people out there like Cheat and me - people who have been there and done that - who've gained and lost multiple times, but are finding it harder and harder to get the motivation.  Please join us.

BTW: Although I don't have an official weight loss goal, I thought it would be helpful to note where I am starting: 178.2 lbs as of yesterday.  I have been as low as 138 in the past, but my best weight is 145-150.  I'm not in a hurry to get there (this time), but I hope to find the habits that will take me back there eventually. h

Whatever you can do or dream, begin it.  Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! -Goethe-

• Thanks for your candor Helen. It takes a lot of guts to admit one's faults. I too am on my own quest to repair, revamp and revive myself. After I turned 40 it felt as if my body was "getting me back" for the many years I really didn't take care of it! So I too resorted to alcohol as a means of escape from reality! Failed relationships, stress at work, health problems and day-to-life wreaked havoc on my mind and spirit. I lost all gusto and discipline, motivation for a better me was nonexistent! I started my own BFL challenge on November 12 2012. This is my 4th crack at it (the first two 12 weeks-I was extremely successful, the third-not so much. Although, an underlying thyroid issue was partly to blame). I have a renewed sense of living life to the fullest. Heck, I want to live again not just be a pathetic spectator in what very well could have been a very short and sad existence! I want to enjoy my grandchildren when they do come!

Helcat, Cheatday-I am here with you!

Stronger together!

Minty!

• Welcome to the club, Minty! It's amazing how much harder it gets to "do it again" isn't it?  I've been thinking a lot about that.

Doing the race last year was an attempt to recreate the experience of doing an ironman ten years ago when I turned 40 - that was amazing and hard and one of the best experiences of my life - last year it was just hard.  I could never muster the enthusiasm I'd had the first time, and when I look at my life, I can see that pattern in many parts of it.  I think it comes down to expectations - instead of coming into the experience fresh, we come at it with all sorts of unstated expectations.  

The first time I did body for life, I lost over 30 pounds and ended up winning an honorable mention.  Subsequent times have been about starting, but not getting though it, or not taking it very seriously.  

This time around, I am taking more of a "let's see what happens..." approach.  No huge goals, no strict rules (except for the no alcohol, and I'm even giving myself a day off from that for Christmas and New Years), just trying to explore what happens when I make a commitment to taking care of myself.

So yesterday's  swim was good, but I got off work a little early and found myself in a funk when I got home - nothing I could put my finger on, but bored and unmotivated to go out and do anything.  Ended up overeating saltines (at least it wasn't donuts :-)) and taking a nap.  Felt better in the evening and got outside for a walk, but then I was wide awake until 2 am.  

Today is a split day - clients at the gym this morning, afternoon off and then private clients this evening - still not up for working out at work, so I think I'll just head right from one gym to the other.  

How's it going Cheat? Managed to haul yourself off the couch yet? ;-) h

• Just a quick check-in for me today.  Took the day off from training - had a headache that wouldn't quit and my SI joint was out of whack because I've been limping.  Took care of myself by going to the chiropractor as well as the orthopedic doc - head and back are feeling better, and I've started the process to get my knee scoped (torn meniscus).  

It was kind of frustrating to feel crappy today, when I haven't had a drink since Sunday and I've been eating much better, but at least I didn't react by buying junk food and/or beer.  Looking forward to a better day tomorrow.

• Helcat I admire your dedication.  I am actually doing something similar but I am blogging about my challenge daily at my blog.  I find it helps keep me on track and I really am hoping to build a community of people to support one another through challenges like this.

Keep up your dedication and 100 days will be over before you know it.  Most importantly, enjoy the ride!

Brian

www.starttransforming.com

• Hello folks!

As Christmas approaches, it'll find me at the midway point of "my challenge" and with it comes its own set of additional challenges; the mad shopping sprees, planning with the family, the food frenzy, etc.  I'm hoping to continue with the same drive I've had these past 4 weeks. I'm looking forward to welcoming the new year, I want to hone my focus towards living my life the way I know I should be living it! Healthier, happier and "cleaner". These past four weeks I have had two drinks per week, for the exception of last Friday at holiday party, I had three and a half. I am slowly losing the desire, nowadays I look forward to other things-chips, hummos, olives- not so much the vino on my free days! I'm proud of myself for that.

Helcat- you are doing great! Take good care of yourself! You inspire me so! 👍

• Hey crew, I've not been around at all this week, nicked myself chopping some kindling a week ago, ended up with tetanus! Woke up a few days ago with my neck muscles locked and the inability to swallow without serious pain, off I went to the hospital to get all checked out and finally get that tetanus shot... last time I had one of those I was probably singing nursery rhymes.  Dr also discovered that my lung capacity is only at half volume for my age, I guess this couch thing is over taking me after all. I'm on a week long run of penicillin and doing a couple of shots a day on this puffer thing, it's supposed to help get my lungs back to full capacity... I wonder what that will feel like, I don't notice a breathing prob right now, but we'll see.

So I'm resting this weekend, neck and throat are better but stiffness is still there. Monday morning will be my "DAY 1", so I hope you don't mind me popping by every so often, I need a lot of inspiration to keep me going through this.

I came across this inspiring video, it lit the fire under my couch enough to actually make me give this another try.

Check it out, I hope it inspires you to just keep on trying:

www.youtube.com/watch

cheatday  

• Hey Cheatday! Wow, it's incredible you wound up with tetanus! Please take care of that! You just handle your matters and check in with us whenever you can! We'll be here! That was some video! I cried, I applauded and I was reaffirmed that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE! Thanks for share that awe inspiring video!

Take care Cheatday!