Seriously considering coming back to BFL, but injured

• Hi all.

I'm 55 years old and had been a serious weight trainer, powerlifting style, for a lot of years. I did a BfL 12 week in 2000 and had great results. Over the years I slacked off and put on weight. "Powerlifting is no excuse to get fat" they say. My injury is a major rotator cuff tear (split biceps long head tendon, 2 full thickness tears), which I've had surgery on and am doing p.t. So exercise is very limited right now. I don't want to go back to the heavy lifting... getting too old.

In January 2012 I joined the much-advertised plan by Jennifer Hudson and Charles Barkley (I don't know if I can mention the name) and have lost 30 lbs. Make no mistake that it works, to a point.  You can eat anything you want as long as you remain within allotted points, but the food choices can be very bad if you choose.  I stalled in June when my shoulder started to go south, lost strength, stopped working out and lost focus. I'm trying to get back on track, but I must tell you, the tracking of the points in the plan is a colossal pain in the butt. I seem to have stalled again, and am losing focus on my diet.

I think it is much easier to do the palm/fist measurements method and not track points or calories. This is why I like BfL. I can certainly switch nutritional plans to BfL, but what do I do at this point about my shoulder being out of commission?  I can do very light (and I mean 10-20 lbs kind of light) seated rows, seated chest press, triceps pushdowns, a little heavier machine biceps curls, and absolutely no shoulder exercises except supervised by my p.t. I can certainly do cardio and legs work on machines (hard to squat holding a bar with one hand lol).

What do you think?

Jainarayan (btw, for ease Jy-naa-raa-yun)

• hey Jay, I think do more cardio and very slowly build up your weights again... just thinkin

• Thanks. That's what I'm thinking too. I've just started the strength portion of rehab.

• I agree with Phil.

Sounds to me like weight loss is your main issue - BFL will sort that out.

Just go easy on the shoulder man. If you take it slow, the BFL weight routines may help with your "rehab".

Good luck.

• Thanks. Yeah, weight loss is my goal.

• Jainarayan -

I wouldn't say I was in the exact same boat, but pretty close.  After two normal BFL programs I continued a third but with a modified workout, more power lifting, definitively more complex workouts, LOTS of heavy weight (had always been a heavier lifter prior to BFL).  I was essentially injured during the entire program but kept eating the BFL way.  I lost weight, not much, but once I finished that program I had to decide whether I was going to continue to lose weight and get fit or keep trying to lift heavy and just suffer through injuries.  

After I herniated 3 discs I decided weights were no longer fun :-)  Long story short, I found an interest in running, and made a switch from lifting as my primary focus to trying to be a runner.  I've been following a pretty heavy running program and supplement it with light weights for really high reps (think of the BFL program, 3 days a week, just with super light weights), and follow the diet and I've been getting better results weight loss wise than I did in the first two programs that I followed to the letter.  

So, to answer your question, do the food style that is easiest for you to follow.  Doesn't matter how good the diet is if you aren't following the diet.  And secondly, you can absolutely do the program without the use of your shoulder (I'm missing half of my right clavicle, no A/C joint).  Just modify the heck out of your workouts and no reason you can't still do some pretty intense cardio.  

Semper Fi,

Brez

• Semper Fi backatcha Brez. I ran (and completed!) the 1998 Marine Corps Marathon, my one and only 'thon. What a blast!  ; )

I also had 3 lumbar microdiscectomies in Dec. 2010, so there went my 295 lbs squats and deads. Ironically, the herniations were not from the gym, but from snow shoveling 8 months before. Now I'm just looking to get fit and do the "alpha male strut" at the beach. lol  I'm mentally burned out from the heavy weights I did for so many years.

I'm glad for the tips, and to know that we can make progress when things aren't perfect. In the old days of BfL, the word tweak was as bad as that four letter word, at least on the forums that existed. This site back in the day was nothing like it is now. I'm glad I decided to just type www.bodyforlife.com What a pleasant surprise.

Thanks for your advice... much appreciated.