Anyone interested in Starting November 5, (Monday) 2012....

• Hi Sparkle,

Have you found a meditation book yet?  I found my meditation book here, "365 Meditations for Busy People", by Laura Grey.  It's about 5 or 6 years old.  I don't know where I got it, but it's probably still out there in a book store somewhere.  It's full of short meditations.  Sometimes even 5 min is enough!

Just finished a George St. Pierre workout.  It was a full body conditioning dvd, and I feel awesome now.  I did an UBWO yesterday, and my arms are feeling it this morning.  And as I predicted, I was sore after the JM Killer Buns and Thighs.  But I love that feeling.  When I'm sore, then I know I'm making changes in my body!

Have a great workout, and weekend!

• Hi JanZim,

It is so crazy at my house right now! My 8th grade son had to take a high school entrance exam this morning. I have been prepping him for the exam for the last 6 months.  It has been very stressful trying to figure out where he will attend high school. My other son goes back to college on Monday. He is the baseball player and his season starts this February. I have a lot of preparation to get him off. All of this, along with regular hockey games and practices.

I have let my exercise slide AGAIN! I always let something take precedence! That is a terrible habit I need to break! I could use these winter months to get myself looking great by spring. What is the saying . . . It takes 21 days for something to become a habit. I really have make exercise the most important thing. I do enjoy exercising when I am doing it and I love the sore feeling afterwards.

I am glad you are enjoying your workouts. I did not get a meditation book yet! The one you mentioned sounds good! That will be my assignment next week!

Now I am off to help my son with his science fair poster!

Have a great weekend!

• Hi Sparkle,

Oh boy...you sound very busy!!  Don't beat yourself up about missing a few workouts.  Your family needs you.  At least through all this, you've probably been eating well like you usually do, and to me that's the most important part of the whole puzzle.  Don't worry, you'll figure out how to get some "me" time eventually.

I had to be out of the house this morning by 6:30, as I always do Monday mornings.  My son has power skating.  So usually I do my workout when I get back, however my house really needs some TLC, so I'm doing that instead.  I am hoping I can convince my husband to do a workout with me tonight, otherwise I'll just do it alone.  I really feel "off" when I don't do any exercise.  Maybe the 21 day thing has become my habit now!  I almost feel addicted to it, if that's seems possible.

How did the science fair poster go?  My kids are just starting their projects.  Fun, fun!  It's my daughter's last year for this (she's grade 8 also), and she can't wait until it's over!

Good luck this week!

• Hi JanZim,

Okay, I got my son off to college this morning.  He is the baseball player and has intense spring training to get ready for the season. I decided if he can do it I can do it! So I am going view my workouts as spring training. I went to a yoga class today and really enjoyed it. I signed up for 2 new classes at my sports club  - kettle bells and TRX Class which is doing movements while hanging from ropes. I plan to get up tomorrow and do the treadmill. I sure hope I can addicted to exercise. It sure would make things easier!  

Are you still using My Fitness Pal? I try to use it every day. A couple of my friends use it and we view each other's food  and exercise diary. It is kind of a contest between us!

I have a Dr. Oz suggestion for you . . . He said to use oat straw extract for an energy booster. Use 2 tsp in juice or coffee. Check his website for his recipe for energy bars. He says they really work.  

We are still working on the science fair poster. It is actually an Invention Convention. He invented a solar lawnmower. He has to have a prototype along with the poster. My husband is responsible for that part.

Enjoy your workout! 

• Hi Sparkle,

Oat straw extract?  Never heard of it.  I will check it out later.

So have things settled down a little bit with your son off to college?  And how did the exam go for your other son?

Hmmm...that TRX class sounds interesting.  I can't imagine it.  You will definitely have to let me know all about it.  Good luck with the new classes.  I wish I was near a center where they offered classes... any classes.  I'd have to drive 1/2 hour to the nearest facility, and with our schedule, it's just not possible.  That's why all the exercise dvds!

And yes, I do still use my fitness pal.  Most days.  Funny how I don't record anything when I eat really bad:)  But I do like it a lot.

Didn't have the best sleep last night, so wasn't up early enough to get in my WO before work.  Hopefully later.

Your son's project sounds impressive.  Our science fair here is very low key.  I don't think anybody ever came up with an idea like that!  Good for him!

Happy workouts!

• Hi JanZim,

Yes, I am getting my head above water since getting my son off to college. Less laundry, less dishes, less meal preparation.  We will get the entrance exam results back in February for my 8th grader.

OMG, I did Killer Buns and Thighs today - level one.  It was so hard! I got through it, but I had to stop several times. What level are you on? Are you able to make it through the entire workout? I had a few problems with the balance moves.   I have a bosu ball that i need to use to improve my balance. Tomorrow I am going to do cardio -  intervals on the treadmill.

We still don't have any snow here in Chicago, but we sure have cold temperatures!

Have a great workout!  How are you doing with your eating?

• Hi Sparkle,

Ha ha, just laughing with you because I found Killer Buns and Thighs hard too.  I did level 2, but had to stop a few times also.  Quite a few actually.  

How's my eating?  Well...wish I could say fantastic.  But in reality, it's been pretty bad.  Just a little stress slump and a hormonal time.  It will pass, then I'll smarten' up:)

Off to bed now so I can get up for my WO in the morning!

Later.

• Hi JanZim,

Sorry for my absence!  I was helping my so put the final touches on his poster for the science fair.  He has to present today at school. We had a hockey game last night and a basketball game the night before -  which pushed everything back.

In terms of my problem with exercising - I just don't sit down at the beginning of the week and plan workout sessions. I have things in my basement that I can use (including tapes)  and about 50 classes that are offered throughout the week  at my sports club. I don't even have to sign up for classes  - I can just drop in.  The sports club also has two floors of equipment and many of the machines have their own T.V. There are even trainers walking around who will answer questions.  As I write this to you, I realize what a great situation I have that I am not utilizing. It actually helps to put this scenario in writing, because I have concluded that I don't know what classes, exercises, activities I should plan for each week. I have been taking such a haphazard approach to the exercise part. Now that I realize this - maybe I can improve that part of my program. The best part is the club is only about a mile from my house!

I have a Dr. Oz tip:  Here is a fantastic recipe for a vitamin cocktail

1 cup of papaya ( can be frozen)

1/2 cup kale

1/2 cup spinach

1/2 banana

1/2 green apple

3-4 ice cubes

Blend together in blender until smooth.

I made this and it is fantastic!  Dr. Oz says it gives you great energy! Try it!  

I hope you can work out your eating issues! I would be happy to help with ideas!

Hope you had a great work out! 

• Hi Sparkle,

Well, you sure have a lot of options in regards to exercise!  Do you follow the BFL weight training routine at all?  Or do you prefer to take a class of some sort?  I like the BFL routine, however sometimes I just want to mix things up a bit.  I mostly feel that way when it's a cardio day.  When I do my upper body, I follow the BFL routine, as for the lower body, I sometimes like to do the Jillian Michael's dvd for a change.  But for the cardio, I know if I would just do the 20 min. BFL routine on the treadmill, it would be over and done with fast, but I am so bored with it.  That's when I'll do an Insanity dvd or George St. Pierre dvd.  It takes much longer, like 40 - 60 min., but I have way more fun doing it.

And the eating...I just need to suck it up and eat what I'm supposed to eat.  I feel so much better when I do.  I'll try the Dr. Oz drink.

I'm off to the city to spend the weekend with my ill family member.  Not sure what will happen as far as the exercise.  Maybe go for a walk, through the ice and snow!!

Anyways, have a good weekend and I'll be in touch when I get back.

Later...

• Hi JanZim,

Well, it is really hard to stay on track with eating this weekend, because my son's hockey team is playing in a winter classic hockey tournament. We have the worst times for our games.  We had a game today at 4:00 and now we have another one at 10:00 p.m. and the rink is about 45 minutes away.  Being a hockey mom, I know you are familiar with this scenario.  Needless to say, I did not eat well this weekend!

I do not follow the BFL weight training routine.  I need to reread the book, since I haven't read it for about 8 years.  It will probably help to figure out my exercise problems.

I went to Whole Foods and picked up some dandelion root tincture ( as suggested by Dr. Oz).  I will let you know how it works

It is time to leave for the hockey game. At least we are winning! I probably won't get home until 12:30 - which means I won't feel like getting up to exercise.  

I hope you have a successful week! 

• Hi Sparkle,

Well...it hasn't been a good start to my week.  It's been 4 days since I've done any workouts. Yikes!  And my body feels awful too. I've been having trouble sleeping again.  Last night I was up roaming around the house in the middle of the night.  Had to resort to using melatonin, but it was quite late when I took it, so it was very hard to wake up early for any exercise.  I wish my mind had an OFF switch!:)

How did the hockey go this weekend?

Now what is dandelion root tincture for?  I haven't heard of that either.

Hope your week is going better than mine!

Talk to you later.

• Hi JanZim,

I am sorry to hear you are not having a good week. I know exactly how you feel about not being able to sleep. I have had the same problem. You know I love Dr. Oz and he has had several suggestions over the years. He suggests not using a computer 30 minutes before bed because light from the computer is close to a person's face and can affect the release of melatonin. He says the tv is not so much a problem, because the light is farther away. He also says cherries or cherry juice have tryptophan which helps with sleep. It sounds like you are probably stressed and thinking about obligations and such that you can't relax - and that makes you even more mad which only compounds the problem. I usually get up and read a little, until I finally fall asleep. I will dig out an article I have on sleep and see if there are any other suggestions. It will probably get better when you exercise.

We made it to the championship game for hockey and lost! What a bummer! There were a lot of teams in from Canada. Let me know if hockey ever brings you to the Chicago area. It would be fun to meet! We used to go to Canada a lot for hockey when we lived in Novi, Michigan. I remember Port Huron was a popular destination. I also went to Montreal several times as a child to visit relatives.

The dandelion root tincture (recommended by Dr. Oz)  helps with weight management. It is good for digestion and is a good source of vitamins and potassium.  You can check out Dr. Oz's website to see some of the other things he suggests. I take notes when I watch his show and pass some things along that might interest you.

I did that TRX class today!  It was hard, but good! Ropes with handles hang from the ceiling. The trainer had us use our own weight to do squats, rowing, inner thigh work and other movements while using the ropes. It was very different. I can see that I need some help with my balance. The trainer said as we get older we start to lose our balance. I felt like telling her that's not all we lose.

Well, I better let you get on with your day!  Hope you get to work out and hope the eating is going well! 

• Hi Sparkle,

Too bad about losing the championship game.  My kids have been there and done that a few times too.  

I have slept better the last 2 nights, but have not done any exercise.  I don't know what is up with me.  I am thinking about sleeping in my workout clothes so that when I wake up I am reminded about what I should be doing!  

How are you feeling after the TRX class?  Did you discover any muscles that you forgot you had?  I found a couple in my back shovelling snow today!  Wow...I didn't think my body would protest so much.  It's only been a few days since I worked out.  Guess it's telling me to get back at it!

I am hoping I will find some time to organize my priorities this weekend.  I want to look through all my yoga books and plan a short routine that I can do just before bedtime.  Maybe that will help me to relax a bit also, body and mind.  I'm hoping that I will be relaxed enough to do just 5 min of meditation too before bed.  And I think I need to re-read the Body for Life book, or at least some parts of it.  I've kind of strayed a bit off course, and want to have that dedication and motivation like I had when I first started back in Nov.

And my eating has been awful.  I'm scared to step on the scale.  I think I have gained at least 2 lbs back, maybe more.  I've been making bread and buns for my family, and eating it too.  Usually I don't have a problem with it, but lately it seems like I am craving it.  Maybe it's the bitter cold here.  It's been -30 some days, and with the wind, close to -45 or colder!  Brrrr. Trying to put on a fat layer like the bears???:)

Anyways, better go and get off to bed now.  10:00 here.  Have a great weekend.  I'm home this weekend, so I'll let you know how the organizing and exercise goes.

Talk later.

• Hi JanZim,

It has been a busy past 3 days and my BFL program has suffered. I had preparations for my son's Confirmation, which he made this morning. We also had a hockey game immediately following. I have had no time to exercise or eat correctly. This is so frustrating!

I was hurting the day after my TRX class! The trainer focused mostly on upper body and I really felt it in my arms and back.

It was so disturbing to me  that my balance was so bad. The trainer told me to practice balancing on one foot - for instance when I am standing and chopping something for dinner or if I am standing in line at the grocery store. It is amazing how practicing balance throughout the day can really make a difference. I will try it and let you know if things improve!

You are so right about reorganizing your priorities! I think about what I want to do in terms of exercise, but I need to nail it down and view exercise as something that is just as important as paying bills. It is always the first thing I let go!  I am rereading the BFL book and it is quite helpful. My book is so tattered it is coming apart and I have pink highlighter all over the important points. The success stories are so helpful! They have every size, shape and age of people represented so everyone has someone to identify with.

Do you count calories? I saw somewhere that you should add a zero to your weight and that is the amount of calories you need to consume each day. So if you weigh 140 you can consume 1400 calories each day. I don't count calories, but My Fitness Plan does and I feel defeated if I have gone over the amount for the day. I have it set at 1250 calories per day. I am usually at or under my calorie allotment if I exercise. If I used the add the 0 rule to my weight, I would be allowed 1500 calories per day since I weigh 150. Do you have any thoughts on calorie counting?

I can't believe how cold it is by you! Stay warm!

• Hi Sparkle,

Well, it is warming up a bit here.  Finally a break in the cold.  -5 ish for tomorrow, almost warm enough to wear shorts!!  Just kidding:)

I finally got on the treadmill this morning and did the BFL routine on it.  And it felt sooo good!  Every time I take a break from exercising, I wonder to myself why I had let it slide in the first place.  I feel so wonderful after.  I wish I could bottle that feeling and use it when I'm having trouble motivating myself.  I think it's better for me to just exercise every day, because it seems when I don't do it one day, that quickly turns into 2 and so on.  I know the body needs a break, but even if I just do some power yoga or something like that once a week to give myself a rest.  For me, I think that's the best.

My Body For Life book is split in half.  It's definately seen better days.  I haven't had a chance to read it again yet this weekend.  Had 2 hockey games so far.  But nothing tomorrow, so hopefully then!

I don't like to count calories, but I do like that My Fitness Pal does it for me.  It makes sense that you add a zero to your weight.  I think my calories on MFP is 1470, or something like that.  I weigh 142-145.  Yes, I gained 3 lbs from eating too much bread and stuff.  Grrrr...  I used to follow the Weight Watchers program about 3 years ago.  Back then it went on a point system, which I think it still does, but they've changed the points a bit.  I did lose some weight on it, but found that I was always hungry.  I much prefer the BFL program.  It's simpler.  And there's no calorie counting.  I do like to see where I fall in the calorie bracket with My Fitness Pal though.  But I sometimes find it time consuming to enter the food on it.

Anyways, talk to you later.

A tip for balancing, try some yoga poses like the tree pose, the triangle pose and the warrior poses.  You can use the wall if you need for reassurance.  That may help for your balance.  

Good luck!