Anyone interested in Starting November 5, (Monday) 2012....

• I haven't been able to check in because of Christmas preparations!  I will pick up again after Christmas!  Hope things are going okay for you JanZim!  Have a great Christmas! 

• Hi Sparkle.

Hope you had a great Christmas.  Ours was spent in the hospital, but things are looking up somewhat.  We'll see how things go.

I am looking forward to my regular workouts again.  I've done the odd Insanity dvd, but it will seem like I'll be starting from square 1 again.  I don't really care, I am just itching to get back at it.  I've spent maybe 6 nights at my home in the last 3 weeks, so my regular workouts were put on hold.  Heading home tomorrow, so Monday morning I'll be at it.  I just wonder where I'd be if these 3 weeks weren't missed.  Well, nothing I can do about it but just get back into the routine again.

Anyways, hope everything is all well with you.  

Talk to you later.

• Hi JanZim,

So glad to hear things may be going better for your sick family member. Sorry to hear you had to spend Christmas at the hospital!  My Christmas was good, but I am completely wiped out! I have had so many people over for parties and gatherings and I have had no time to myself!  

I have been eating well but not keeping up with the exercise part. I am going to get back on the stick tomorrow! I hate when I let up on exercise, because it is so hard starting over and exercise also makes me feel so good!

I admire your dedication to exercise! How much weight are you trying to lose? Are you having success? I think I am going to start over beginning tomorrow. I have not been totally dedicated and I haven't seen much change. If I am committed, I should see major changes by March - just in time for spring!

So glad you are still here, JanZim!  I enjoy hearing your suggestions. Maybe with the start of the New Year, the other members of our group will come back.

Enjoy your day! 

• Hi Sparkle,

It's good to hear from you too!  

My body is a bit sore from my workouts, but I love it.  Have done mostly cardio.  I haven't hit my upper body yet, but I'm looking forward to it.  Tonight hopefully.

I have lost 5 lbs since I started this.  Not a whole lot, and now that I'm down that much, I can see that I have at least another 5 or maybe 10 lbs to go.  I haven't seen the huge transformation that I am wanting, meaning a total body change.  I have lost 1" off my waist, 1 1/4" off my hips, and 1/2" off my thighs.  My clothes definitely fit better, but I want to totally change some parts of my body, mainly my belly area.  There's still some work that needs to be done there!!!  It's a start, and I'm happy that I still have the motivation to keep going.

My husband gave me the George St. Pierre workout dvd set for xmas.  I had never heard of it, and barely knew who he was(he's a UFC fighter).  His workouts are boxing related.  It's different, and sometimes the moves are a bit complicated for the uncoordinated ones like me, and have no idea of the boxing/UFC moves that they are doing.  But it's fun and something different.

Anyways, I have no excuses now not to exercise.  I have all sorts of videos now, from Insanity(8 of those), Jillian Michaels (4 of hers), and now George St. Pierre(6 of his).  Plus my treadmill and the BFL routines.  So many choices!

Off to work now.  Talk to you later!

• Hi JanZim,

I do love that sore feeling I get from working out! I started slow today with a 20 minute cardio (treadmill). I love to listen to music as I work out. My son loaded my favorite songs on my iPhone and it really helps listening to music. My husband and I went to a Styx concert last Saturday and I added some of their songs to my playlist.

I have not heard of George St. Pierre. It sounds like a fun workout. I have never done kick boxing, but I know some people that really enjoy it. I have several workout tapes and I do belong to a sports club where they offer classes at no extra cost.  I just don't enjoy exercising and I don't know why, because I feel so much better after I do it! I really need to learn to like exercising! It has to become something I do every day. You are amazing as you are able to fit in your exercise, spend time at the hospital and work and do all your obligations as a mom and wife! I really have to work on this!

That's great that you are seeing results! My weight is up and down. I weigh 150 and would like to get down to 135 or so. My belly area is the hardest to lose! I think it is the result of stress - another thing I need to work on.  I am always worrying about everyone else and letting myself go. Another thing I need to change!  I have had trouble sleeping lately. Which is another reason I don't feel like exercising. It is a new year and I am ready to change things!

Did you get a chance to check out that magazine On Fitness? It is packed with great information!

Great chatting with you!

Have a great day! 

• Hi Sparkle,

We make quite a pair!  You eat healthy most, or all, of the time, and don't like to exercise. And I like to exercise, but not so strict on my diet!  For example, I did an INSANITY workout this morning and worked myself into a puddle of sweat, then found some (hidden?) cinnamon buns in the freezer while I was organizing supper plans...and ate 2!!  It was like I had found some kind of treasure, quickly putting 2 in the microwave to defrost and gobbling them down before I had a chance to give it a second thought!!  Arghhh...  WHY DO I DO THAT TO MYSELF?????

Luckily I don't do that very often, but I seem to think I need something sweet, like a couple of chocolate chips or something, almost daily.  Of course, certain times of the month are worse, and when I am stressed is bad too.  Which is my situation right now...stress.

I find that music is a big motivater for me too.  Sometimes if I'm not really in the mood to exercise, I put on some music and my attitude changes.

And I think you are right about belly fat and stress.  I read about that somewhere, that there is a link between the two.  I had taken a meditation retreat about 8 years ago...maybe I should try doing some meditation again.  Even 5 or 10 minutes would probably be beneficial.

And yes, I did check out that magazine.  There is a lot of info in there.  I'll have to take the time again and look it up.

When I started this, back in Nov., I weighed 147.  Now I'm 142, but I  would like to get to 135, or maybe a bit less.  I can't ever remember weighing less than 140. (well except when I was in high school.  But that was 20-some years ago.)  Like I've said before, I am not a petite person.  I'm just about 5"5'.  I seem to build muscle quickly.  I'll never have that long, lean look some women have.  And I'm okay with that.  I just want to look toned and have some muscle definition.

I hear you about worrying about everyone else and putting yourself last.  Isn't that what us women do?  And I agree that that needs to change.  Sometimes it's easier said than done though. I've always thought that when I became a mother, guilt and worry were my best friends!!:)  Slowly, ever so slowly, I am starting to change that.  Committing to this BFL is so good for me. It's a positve change!!

Anyways, I think I've just about chatted your ear off!

Here's to a better year!  Harder workouts, better eating and positive changes!!:)

Talk to you later!

• Hi JanZim,

Boy, we sure do make a good pair! I am really trying with the exercise! I signed up for a yoga workshop for this Saturday. Have you ever heard of Bikram yoga? It is hot yoga because you do it in an 80 degree or so room. This workshop is for beginners and it is 2 hours long. They will teach us the benefits of hot yoga, what is happening to our bodies during yoga and then we will actually do yoga at a beginner level. I am looking forward to the workshop, because I like to know the science behind the exercise and learn what is exactly happening to the body. Maybe that's what I need to get motivated with my exercise.

It's interesting that you mention meditation.  I have heard so many professionals like Dr. Oz and Deepak Chopra speak about the importance of meditation. My husband bought me a book for Christmas called Super Brain by Dr. Deepak Chopra and Dr. Tanzi.  It teaches you how to use your brain to unleash the power of your mind to maximize health, happiness and spiritual well-being. An entire chapter is devoted to the importance of meditation. When you took your meditation retreat how did they teach you to meditate? I feel like I need to attend a class to learn how to meditate or is it something I can teach myself with a book? I feel like I meditate all day every day, I am just never alone!

It sounds like you are well on your way to your goal weight! I bet if you didn't have the hospital obligations you would have lost more weight because you could have worked out regularly. I am glad you are seeing results!

A suggestion for your sweet tooth - chew a piece of gum. This almost always takes care of it. Another hint I just read is to freeze red grapes and eat a few frozen.  I have tried this and it works!

Great talking with you!

Enjoy!

• Hi Sparkle,

I have heard of the hot yoga, but haven't had the opportunity to take a class.  It sounds interesting, and I think that I would really like it, it's right up my alley...getting all sweaty!:)

The meditation retreat that I took focused on the breath a lot.  There was also some chanting involved too.  If I rememeber correctly, I think it was led by a Tibeton monk.  He wore the traditional clothing.  It was pretty neat, but sometimes felt way out of my element!  I did come away feeling very peaceful and with techiques to help focus and relax the mind.  But it's like with anything else...if you don't practice it often, you forget about it.  Anyways, when I do try to meditate, I just try to focus on my breathing.  Sometimes I try a visualizing technique.  You can learn to do any of this through a book.  It's nothing complicated, but sometimes it's just hard to shut the chatter off that goes on in the mind!

The book you got for Christmas sounds interesting too.  Is there any tips on how to meditate in there?

I'm away from home again this weekend, but not in a hospital.  My family member has been moved to another family member's home.  That is so much better than the hospital environment!  So, no workouts this weekend, but I did run the stairs a few times in the building.  8 flights!  Better than nothing.

Looking forward to starting my regular routine Monday morning again!

Have a good weekend.

And thanks for the frozen grapes advice and gum!

Later...

• Hi JanZim,

The yoga class was fantastic! Some of these hot yoga classes are held in 100 degree rooms. I don't know if I could stand that much heat. I do feel good and hopefully this is all I need to stay motivated.

The meditation retreat you attended sounds very interesting!  The book I got for Christmas doesn't really give instruction on learning the practice of meditation it just goes into a lot of detail about what happens to the brain during meditation. I will get a book and teach myself.

I made a recipe board to help me plan meals. I bought large index cards and I am attaching recipes to each card. The recipe board is a magnetic board covered with fancy material. I put a magnet on the back of each card and arrange them under the days of the week when I will serve that particular meal. This is one of my new organizational skills for 2013. It will help with making less trips to the store since I will have every meal planned out at the beginning of the week. I will let you know how it works.

Enjoy your workout on Monday! 

• Hi Sparkle,

Oh I am so jealous!  I would love to take a hot yoga class.  I'm happy that you enjoyed it!  Maybe this is your thing.

And good luck with your recipe board.  Let me know how it goes.  I know a few people who plan out their meals for the week.  I'm kind of a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants planner. lol.  Well, not quite that bad, but I haven't ever planned out my meals for the whole week in advance.  I kind of have an idea what we'll be eating for the week, but nothing set out like that.  Maybe I should try it.  I may be surprised.

It's an UBWO for me tomorrow.  Then a massage in the afternoon.  I will need it!

Have a good workout tomorrow!

• Hi JanZim,

I am still sore from the yoga class I took on Saturday! I did cardio this morning which was intervals on the treadmill. I really surprised myself when I was able to increase the speed and keep up.  It  was a great feeling! I am spending the time to plan  my workouts. If I think about tomorrow's workout today - I kind of start looking forward to it. I can't believe it! Maybe I can train myself to like exercise.  

Do you take vitamins? I take vitamins and they really give me energy! Maybe it is a placebo, but I really do feel better.

Hope you enjoyed your massage! I would love to get a pedicure!

Have a great workout!

• Hi Sparkle,

That's good that you are starting to like exercise!  Maybe there's hope for me to stop eating the chocolate!!  I find that if I don't have any for a few days, I don't really even want it.  But all it takes is one little taste, and then I just want to have it all the time.  Maybe that's what it's like to be addicted to drugs or alcohol??!!  I think that chocolate is a fairly safe substance to be addicted too:)

I am still sore too after my UBWO on Monday.  My massage was great and probably helped with my soreness.  I did INSANITY yesterday, and did one of the month 2 dvds.  It was 60 min., and I am sore from that too, but it was a great workout!  Loved it.I was supposed to do lower body today, but didn't get up in time before work.  Will see if I can get it done tonight, but I have to work until 8:00-ish, so we'll see.

I don't take any vitamins right now.  I did a few years ago, but let it slide.  Probably would be a good idea to start again.

Talk to you later.  Just on my lunch break now.

• Hi JanZim,

Yes, I think it is ok to be addicted to chocolate! But just a little! Actually, dark chocolate is very healthy.

I did a Zumba class yesterday and was totally spent!  What a work out! I took it at the sports club. It was a lot of fun! I need to take advantage of the classes they offer.

I went to an integrative doctor to get my vitamin levels checked. It was quite interesting! I did a saliva test and the results came back that i was low in some areas. He gave me a few different vitamins and said stress was the main cause of my "bulging belly." He said the vitamins along with the BFL Program should help with the stress, which in turn will help reduce the belly. He also recommended MEDITATION! I am off to get a book on that tomorrow! I have also had problems sleeping. I just can't shut my brain off at night! That is where meditation would help!

Have you ever heard of Overdrive? You can sign up online with your public library and check books out electronically. You can keep them on your computer for 2 weeks and then they automatically return to library. All you need is a library card. Check it out!  It is the coolest thing!

Enjoy your workout! 

• Hi Sparkle,

Zumba is a fun workout.  Did you feel as uncoordinated as me?  I tried it last winter.  

Hmmm, so what kind of vitamins are you taking?  I'm beginning to worry that my belly fat will stay with me forever!

I didn't get home from work until 8:30 tonight, so I decided to just relax instead of doing a workout.  Back at it tomorrow morning for sure.  Haven't decided if I'll do the LBWO that I missed today or the cardio that is on my schedule.  Will let you know what I decide.

There are so many books on meditation.  Good luck finding just one!  

Sometimes when I can't sleep, I use melatonin.  Either the 3 or 5mg dose.  Have you heard of it?  I checked it out before I tried it, and it seems safe.  I don't use it every night.  I can usually tell before bed if it will be one of those nights when my mind is racing, and I'll take it right at bedtime.  It works for me, but I know that it doesn't work for everyone.

And I haven't heard of Overdrive.  

What's your plan for your workout tomorrow?

Have a good night.

• Good morning Sparkle,

Just wanted to let you know that I did the Jillian Michaels Killer Buns and Thighs this morning, level 2.  Ouch!  I will be sore later!!  I was surprised how difficult I found it this morning.  I wanted to get in a bit of cardio AND lower body this morning, and I got it!  Those 3 weeks of sitting in the hospital showed up this a.m.!  The stairs wasn't enough:)!!

Anyways, hope you have a great workout, whatever it is!

Off to work.

Later...