Anyone interested in Starting November 5, (Monday) 2012....

• JanZim,

Hockey tournaments can really interfere with a weight loss program. I always bring my own non-perishable food like apples, bananas, grapes and nuts for protein to eat as snacks so I am not starving by the time lunch or dinner rolls around.  Games usually interfere with meals. Then, of course, you have to go out with the team for some of the meals. I just make sure I eat something every 2-3 hours so I won't eat something bad.  When I am out with the team I will order a salad or ask the restaurant to substitute fries with a baked potato or add in veggies. I create my own made to order BFL dinner. Salad dressing and sauces always on the side.

I have not heard of the INSANITY DVD. I will check it out on YouTube. I like to workout in my basement  - so that sounds like a  good cardio workout. Thanks for the tip.

Have you ever tried The Laughing Cow cheese? They come in spreadable wedges and they are only 50 calories a wedge. I eat a wedge on a  WASA multigrain crisp bread.  It is a good snack. Hummus is another good protein to have on WASA crackers.

Where is the rest of our group???   It's okay if you messed up at Thanksgiving! We all did!!  Come back!!!  

• The last few days have been so cruddy for me!  What I thought was a cold turned out to be the flu. My entire body started aching and I can't stop coughing. Needless to say I haven't done any exercise and I don't have much of an appetite. I guess the loss of appetite is a good thing.

JanZim - I hope you were you able to stay on the program while you were away at the hockey tournament. It is not easy!

falldc - How is it going for you?  Please post so we can help each other.

vie_diva - With your great news, I bet you are so motivated!  Let us know how it is going!

Karensgreatbody - Where are you?

Keep strong everyone! 

• Hello Everyone,

I am still dealing with the flu - this is a real drag!  I am trying to work through it by walking on the treadmill. I do feel better - just a little.  I hope to get back on my BFL routine tomorrow! The weather is great here in Chicago - so maybe a run outside would be nice!

I saw this in Prevention Magazine - "It's not what you do some of the time, it's what you do most of the time that counts"

I hope all of you are doing well!

Sparkle 

• Hello everbody!!

Sparkle, I survived the weekend without eating any rink food!  I brought my own snacks and such, and found that I wasn't even craving any of that fried greasy stuff.  And I did a workout yesterday morning, the INSANITY dvd I was telling you about.  Did you check it out?  It's actually 10 dvds, that you rotate in a 60 day routine.  I love it,  and it's a nice change for the cardio.  I am a puddle of sweat by the time I am done a 40 min. dvd.  I did use my exercise bands a bit too, but honestly, I was exhausted after INSANITY.

Today is my free day, and I really haven't eaten anything different than the rest of the week, except that I had 2 chocolate turtles.  So yummy!  The cravings for the chocolate have diminished a lot.  I feel so good without putting all the crap food in my belly!

I hope you are feeling better.  I had just a 24 hour flu a couple of weeks ago.  Yours seems to be hanging in there a bit longer.  Hopefully you can kick it and get back to the BFL routine soon.

It is snowing here right now, so I am jealous that you say you may go for a run outside!  Once it gets cold here, I prefer to use my treadmill.  Sometimes I do brave the elements and bundle all up from head to toe, so nothing is exposed but my eyeballs and head outdoors.  And I have to say that it is quite refreshing, frost on the eyelashes and all!!!  I used to do that everday in the winter when we had our dog.  I'm a bit of a wimp now that we don't have him any more!

Upper body tomorrow for me. My favorite!

And everyone else that originally joined this group, come baaaack!  We would love to hear from you!!  Like Sparkle said before, it doesn't matter if you messed up!!  I've missed a few workouts too and ate a few things that I shouldn't have.  No big deal.

Have a great workout tomorrow everyone!!

• Good for you, JanZim!  So glad you were able to stay on the program!  Let me know when the other hockey mom's start noticing that you are losing weight!

OMG, I just saw Insanity on You Tube!  It looks really intense!  I will try it after I recover from this lousy flu.  I also read some of the success stories and saw some before and after pictures. Very impressive!  

I have a few holiday gatherings to attend this week. I plan to eat before I go so I don't sabotage my hard work!

Happy Workout! 

• Good evening, all.  I am still here and still trying, but between work and home stress, the holidays and then celebrating the engagement, I feel like I undid the prior 3 week's progress last week.  I really need 3 months from today  - Can I still hang out here if I plan for my challenge to go through the end of February?

I know I really did not undo all the progress, because I did my upper body workout today and was able to add weight on every exercise - walked out with major jello arms, yeah!  But I also have not lost any more weight after the first 5 pounds, and I am not going to get where I need to be on THAT plan!!

But in 3 months I have to be seen in wedding pictures and I want to look GOOD and feel good.  Changed my routine around again and now I am working out at lunch - I just have so much more energy at noon than I do when I get off work.  

PLEASE help keep me motivated, my BFL buddies.  I have all the good intentions in the world but keep letting work and home obligations come first - when we all know you have so much more energy for what you need to do when you are fit and healthy and working out.

Thanks for listening.

• Hello Everyone,

Vie_diva - so glad to hear from you!  I hear your frustration!  Just pick up where you left off. All is not lost!  You will look great in your wedding gown!  I was in a fashion show with my son this past spring. It was for his high school. I wore a beautiful, strapless black gown that was real fitted at the waist and the dress flared out. It looked great because my weight is in my hips and butt. I did get a spray on tan and that made me look thinner! We are happy to have you back!  We will help you!

Well, being sick does have some benefits.  The first is I lost 3 pounds!  The second is I had plenty of time to search on the computer and found a great website called Hussman.org.  You should check it out! It explains exactly what is happening to your body when you are trying to lose weight.  For instance, it compares losing weight to using a roll of paper towel. When you take a new roll and start using it you don't notice the roll getting smaller. It is not until you are well past the middle of the roll and close to the end that you really start noticing the roll getting smaller.

It is also clearly explained on this website why sometimes the scale isn't moving. Many changes are happening on the inside of the body. It suggests that a person find a tight fitting piece of clothing and use that as a gauge to determine weight loss. It also says that a person loses weight from their skinniest parts first - like your ankles, wrists, shoulder area and the fattest parts are the last to come off.  Very interesting website!

How is the snow by you - JanZim?  Would you believe it was 72 today in Chicago?  I do wish we had some snow!

Have a great workout!

• Well, getting back in the saddle is feeling great already.  I lost back all of the bloat plus another .5 pound, so obviously working the plan, WORKS!  Duh!

Sparkle, I lost a ton of weight a few years back and I do understand the process - I also know there are weight loss points where suddenly everyone noticed, like magic.  I know it seems to happen when I go under 150, and then again at around 130 - the first point corresponds to about when my BMI goes out of overweight into just the heavy side of normal, and then there is a real aha! moment when I go from looking a little pudgy to looking tiny and fit again (I am 5'3" and when I am in shape I am a size 2-4).

HOWEVER, this time I am not just looking to lose weight - I want to be FIT, hard and muscular like I used to be in my 20's.  If all I manage by my wedding is to wear a strapless dress with a full skirt (I carry my weight below the waist as well) that will be OK, but what I really want is to finally feel OK in a swimsuit again.

BFL is not just about losing weight - it's about getting muscular and ripped with the weight training component - that's why I am here.  Yesterday I had to remind myself to get and stay in that mindset - instead of lighter weights like I have been using for years, I kept adding weight to each exercise to get to muscle failure.  That felt SO good!  You just know when you challenge your muscles like that, they are forced to grow and adapt to meet the challenge, and that is when you see changes in your body.

PS - part of the reason I am not here as often is that this board is not as user-friendly as some I have been on.  I can't figure out how to auto log on or stay logged on, and it's a pain to re-log on every time I get an e-mail notification.  Plus, I would love to have an avatar so we can see each other's faces )or alter egos).  Oh, well.  Like everything else, it's worth a little extra effort, I guess!

Finally, here in Indy, it was in the 60's yesterday as well - awesome for December!  I am going to run outside today for my cardio, which is my favorite thing to do.  If we don't get snow this Christmas it is probably our fault, because on a whim this weekend we bought a couple of toboggans for when all our kids come home for the holidays - we have a giant hill in our front yard.  We tempted fate, just like washing the car makes it rain, so I apologize in advance.....

• Hi guys!

Vie_diva, great job getting back at it.  The first workout is always the hardest, but once you get back into it, it seems to get easier.

That being said, I missed my upper body WO yesterday, and it was even my day off from work!! So now I am going to do it at lunch time today, and hopefully do my cardio tonight.  Serves me right for not getting it done yesterday.  I went for a massage instead and my massage therapist commented that there was more muscle in my thighs.:) That made my day.

Sparkle-I discovered that website too just a couple of weeks ago.  I'm not even sure how I came across it, but yes, there's lots of good stuff on there.  You must be feeling better now??

And do we have snow!  About a foot of it!  And cold, -20 (that's celsius)!  And there's more to come, we still have the whole winter to go yet.  Not looking forward to the -30 days. Brrr.

Keep up the hard work everybody.  It's great to hear how it's going for you.  Maybe we can convince the rest of our group to join back in.

I'll let you know how my double workout goes!

• Hey there again.

Sparkle, I thought the website you mentioned was the one I was on, but it wasn't.  The one I was meaning was hussman.com/eas., however, the info that you were referring to sounds the same as what I had read.  There's some really good information on there.

Well, I DID do my UBWO at noon today:), and I am just heading down to my basement to do my cardio.  I was thinking of doing an Insanity dvd, but right at this moment I feel like running my @#$ off.  So here I go...Hope I'm not regretting this tomorrow by doing a strength and cardio in 1 day!

How was everyone's workouts today?

• Hi Everyone,

It was a bad day for me today!  I just finished my upper body workout this morning when I got a phone call I was dreading!  My Mom's dog died and I was dealing with that all day. He was 16 and was having problems.  I recovered from the flu just in time.

I love communicating with my BFL Buddies. I will connect with you all tomorrow. It has been a long day.

Enjoy your workouts!

• Oh dear Sparkle, I know how your Mom feels.  I've been there a few times.  16 years is a long time for a furry friend.  She must be devastated.

Just wanted to let you all know that I did get that cardio in last night.  It was hard, I felt like I was a bit low on energy.  But I slept really well!!  I got up this morning and did my LBWO, and I can tell I'll be feeling it tomorrow.  My arms are sore fom my workout yesterday and I can tell my legs will be following suit!!

Good luck everyone with your workouts today!

• Wow JanZim!  I am impressed! Cardio and strength all in one day! Are you seeing some results? Just a little?  Remember the paper towel analogy? My clothes are fitting a little better. I missed my workout today.  Maybe I should do a double work out tomorrow!  You have inspired me! With all that I have had going on I haven't blown the eating part.

Vie_Diva - I know it requires logging on every time to communicate and then hoping our conversations are listed as current, otherwise we have to go searching. I really  enjoy communicating with you and JanZim. I wish some others would come back. I hear what you are saying on being ripped. I am looking to lose 20 pounds and if I get ripped in the process it will be a bonus! I am 5' 7 and I weigh 150lbs. I wear a size 6 or 8. The last time I did BFL I was down to a size 4. It would be cool to be able to see each other. I never even thought of posting my pictures. I would post when I get my after picture so you wouldn't only be seeing my before picture.  I think we are all too hard on ourselves! I do hope you get to use your new toboggans!  That sounds like so much fun and good exercise too! I am wishing for some snow!

I have an easy idea for veggies that I found in a Weight Watcher's magazine. Take any vegetable ( frozen or fresh) and put whatever quantity you want in a glass dish - sprinkle with olive oil and some Parmesean Cheese ( you can use fresh cheese or the kind in the green can) cover with tin foil and cook for 35-45 minutes at 425.  I make a lot at a time so I have leftovers for the next day or 2 for lunch. You can do this with beans, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, mixed vegetables - any type will work. My family likes it too!

Have a great day BFL friends!

• Go Sparkle!  Its so tempting to say "well i've not exercised, i might as well just have a burger and write the day off" well done for keeping to it! :)

• Good morning all!  It's just past 6:00 a.m., and I'm about to do some cardio...the INSANITY dvd.  And just like I predicted yesterday, I am sore all over now, upper and lower body.  And yes, I am starting to see some reults...finally.  I am down 4 lbs.,  lost 1" off my waist, 3/4" off my hips, and 1/2" off my thighs.  It's a start.  I seem to build muscle easily instead of leaning out, but I'm not surprised as I am kind of bigger boned.  I'm 5'5" (almost), and right now weigh 143.4 lbs.  I would like to get down to 135 lbs, but I can't remember ever being there, so it seems to be a mental thing that I will never get there.  Does anyone else struggle with that?

Like I said in a previous post that my massage therapist noticed that I have more muscle in my thighs, mainly my quads.  I guess when I look at them now, I can see it.  But I am careful not to lift too heavy as they seem to really bulk up.  I had noticed that before when I was trying to lose weight, but maybe I wasn't doing enough cardio then...I don't know.

Sparkle, I will try that veggie recipe.  It sounds delicious!  And good for you to keep on track with your eating plan.  Like Mr. Cynical said, it's so easy to just let it slide.  And you must be a very lean person, I can't imagine myself ever being a size 4!!  These bones are just too big for that.  It would be neat to be able to see one another.

Vie_diva, how's it going?  

And Mr. Cynical?  What's been happening with you?

Okay.  Now it's 6:30 a.m.  I've procrsatinated long enough.  Cardio here I go...