Anyone interested in Starting November 5, (Monday) 2012....

• Hi Everyone, I haven't posted recently, but I've been reading and keeping up with the board.  My problem has been food. I'm fine with the exercise. I started BFL 2 years ago and lost 10 lbs and clothes fit much better. I do the daily workouts, but need to get a check on my food choices and quantity.

My workouts have been the same....every other day I do free weights for about 20 minutes, alternate with jog/walk every other day. 20  min total. 10 min of walk, 10 min jog.

I'm beginning to think that at my age (50 yr old woman post menopausal), I need to do something else to get the stubborn weight off.

Any other post menopausal women with the same problem? What works for you? I've been eating "nu go" nutriton bars. They are 180 calories and high in protein. I use them as 3 of my six meals throughout the day. I need my chocolate fix daily :-)

• Hello Everyone, I have not been doing too well with the exercise part. I just don't enjoy exercising even though I feel better after I work out. I eat very well - but it is not enough without exercise to lose the weight. I have read that after about 3 weeks of exercising it becomes a habit and it is easier to keep on a regular routine. I have to get the mind set to do this!

For those of you (women over 50) are you having any success? I feel that being post menopausal and 52 years old makes losing weight questionable. I would like to lose about 20 pounds. The belly fat is really depressing! Please share your successes! When did you start seeing results? 

• Hi falldc and Sparkle.  I hear your frustrations, as I am struggling too.  Sparkle, I believe it is true that things come easier after 3 weeks of regularly doing exercise.  Keep at it.  I've read that losing weight is about 20% exercise and 80% diet.  It sounds like you have the eating part down, so just keep plugging on, and I'm sure that you will see things start to change.

And I'm with you falldc,  I enjoy the workouts (except the cardio, lol), but it's the eating that holds me back.  My husband comments that if I didn't eat all the junk that I do, I wouldn't have to exercise so hard.  He's probably right.

We all have our own struggles on this journey. Take it  just one day at a time, one workout at a time. Sometimes I think we make things harder than they need to be.  Make things as simple as you can, and be positive that you will succeed.

Here's a quote I found:

"It takes 4 weeks for you to see your body changing, 8 weeks for friends and family, and 12 weeks for the rest of the world"

Keep going everbody!

• Sorry Everyone - I wrote a very long post about tips for eating and it wouldn't post. I guess it was too long.  My son tried to help and an unrelated email posted. We tried to delete, but it wouldn't work. Sorry about this!

• I love the quote JanZim!   I copied it and have it on display as a constant reminder! Thank you for the words of advice!

• Yeah, it's a good one.  How is it going for you Sparkle?  I have spent my whole weekend in a hockey rink watching my kids play.  So therefore, my workouts and eating have not been so good.  Sometimes life gets us off-track.  I am interested in what you were trying to send on eating tips.  

I guess this is week 4 for us now.  I haven't seen as much "improvement" in my body as I was hoping to at this point, but I am down 3lbs:)  I think I am seeing muscle definition in my arms too. I am just so impatient.  I realize that I have unrealistic expectations sometimes.  However,  I was brave enough one day and took my measurements.  I was happy to see that I have shrunk a bit in my waist (1/2") and hips (1/2") so far!  It's a start.

I would love to hear how you're doing and anybody else out there.  Where is everybody in this group???

Later.

• Hi JanZim - I spent my whole weekend in a hockey rink too!  Yes, it is vey hard to stay on track when you are away from home for 8-10 hours at a time. It is even worse when you have to travel overnight for games and tournaments.  My boys play baseball too and I bring my tennis shoes and walk while I wait for the game to start.  Of course that only happens in the spring. I try to bring food along with me to baseball and hockey games so I don't starve. I usually bring packs of nuts that I buy at Costco. They have cashews, almonds and peanuts in individual packets that are just the right amount - and I have an apple or a banana or some fruit for a snack.

I am very interested in nutrition and really find the eating part of this program quite manageable. It is so important to eat 5 or 6 times a day just to keep a level blood sugar. A great snack is a sliced apple or a banana with a couple tablespoons of Smart Balance peanut butter. Have you ever tried eating coconut oil? It is a good fat that gives you energy and keeps you full. It is a fat that isn't stored as a fat. You use it wherever you would use butter. It is important to get virgin coconut oil because it is not hydrogenated. I buy mine at Whole Foods.

I am a huge Dr Oz fan and he recommends drinking 2 cups of  white tea because it shrinks fat cells. I just bought some and really liked it.

I am still plugging along with my workouts and not seeing much change, however,  my jeans are a little looser.

Keep up the hard work!!! 

• Thanks for the tips Sparkle.  I do eat a lot of nuts as a snack, and add a fruit with it.  It's an easy snack, especially when I'm on-the-go.

A couple of years ago I tried the coconut oil.  I was told to just eat a tbsp of it at a time, I think 3 times a day.  I am not a huge coconut fan, and struggled to get it down.  Using it when I cooked my egg whites helped, or on my toast, but it almost gagged me.  So then they told me to just rub it on my feet and that my body would still absorb it.  The result was really soft feet!!  I managed to get through that jar, but haven't used it since.  Maybe I will give it another try.  Maybe my taste buds have changed?!

I will have to find some white tea.  Anything to shrink fat cells:)  I had it once, and yes, it was very good.

I am away from home until tomorrow, so I missed my workout today.  I am hoping to get back early enough to get my cardio in tomorrow.  

Just wondering if you use a protein shake at all?  I sometimes use one, but I have to mix it with milk to get it down.  ( I am beginning to sound like a "fussy pants"!)  I'm thinking that it's probably not so bad to use milk.  It's usually 1%, because that's what my family drinks, but I could definately use skim and it would be less guilt!!  And sometimes I add it to a smoothie.

Anyways, thanks again for the tips.  Feel free to pass more along my way.  I love to hear what others are doing for the eating part. (and the workouts too)

Take care.

• Just a suggestion - JanZim - when you travel, I learned to bring an exercise band with me so I could do a workout in the hotel room. I used an instructional tape along with the band at home so I would know how to use it on the road.

Do you find it challenging to figure out what to eat or do you find it hard to eat the foods that are suggested by BFL?

I do use the EAS Myoplex Lite protein shake when I am rushed and out the door. I keep a few cartons in the refrigerator so they are always available.  I like the chocolate fudge flavor.

I wonder where the rest of our group is????? 

• I am here, but fell off the wagon HARD on Thanksgiving.  However, I got some additional motivation - I got engaged this weekend!!!!  We are going to Las Vegas to get married the end of February, so I have that long to get in shape for the pictures I will be looking at for the rest of my life (and time by the pool in a swim suit!!!)

• Hi Vie_diva...and CONGRATULATIONS on your engagement!!  Now that's motivation to keep going.

Sparkle, I do have resistence bands that I forgot about.  I'll have to dig them out again.  As for the eating, sometimes it's figuring out WHAT to eat.  Sometimes I'm not well enough prepared for the day, and that's when I find that I run into trouble.  The shakes do help, but I usually only like to have 1 in a day.  As far as the BFL eating guidelines, it really couldn't get much simpler.  A carb, a protein and an occasional veggie.  It's so simple, but there definately needs to be some preparation involved.  Maybe it was just the busy weekend that I had that I'm feeling so unorganized.  I'll have to take the time to prepare my food for a few days.  I ususally bake a few chicken breasts up at a time, then I'm good for a few meals.

Sometimes life gets in the way, and sometimes we make it harder than it needs to be.

Thanks!  Have a good workout today!!

• CONGRATULATIONS - Vie_diva!  You have just enough time to complete your 12 weeks!  Good for You!!!!  

JanZim - I would recommend using My Fitness Pal ( which is a free app) to track your meals. I use it and it is wonderful because I log in what I eat every day and it saves my list of foods. For instance, I eat a hard boiled egg every morning with a banana. You only have to type those foods in once because your entries are automatically saved. When you want add your breakfast for the next day you can just click on food from your list and it logs the food for you. It is the easiest thing to do and it helps to give you ideas on what to eat when you are at a loss. It even gives you a graph at the end of the day when you are done logging in that shows you what percentage of protein, carbs and fats you had that day.  You can also keep track of your weight. It is all saved and graphed for you.  Spend a little time setting it up and you will love it!!!

I read if you add veggies to your breakfast, you will stay satisfied longer. I added grape tomatoes, a few sliced onions, radishes and a little bit of chopped broccoli along with eggs to make an omelet this morning. It was fantastic and I did stay full longer.

I am going to take a pilates class tomorrow!  I am really trying to get into this exercise mode!  

• Sparkle, I didn't now that about the veggies.  I like to make an egg white omelet, and I do add a few veggies, whatever I have handy, and salsa.  Sometimes I put it in a whole wheat tortilla, and that keeps me going for a while.

Unfortunately, I don't have a phone that I can access My Fitness Pal, my husband does and my daughter, but I am pretty sure they won't like me using either of theirs for that! lol.  ( I still have the old flip style).  However, I am used to keeping track with the old pen-and-paper.  I like the idea of using that app, and I have heard many good things about it though.

Well, it's 6:30 am where I am, so I better get downstairs and get my cardio done before work.  

Have a good day.  How was pilates?

Karensgreatbody...you still out there?  I think it was you who started this group, unless I'm mixed up.  Just wondering how it's going for you?

Later.

• I understand, JanZim, about the new technology because I haven't even had my IPHONE for a year yet.  I had a pink Razor for ever and I loved it!  The good news is you can use My Fitness Pal on your IPad or computer. Just check it out!

Do you like salmon?  A great, quick meal is smoked salmon with a piece of fruit and some veggies. You can buy it packaged and you eat it cold. It is a bit pricey, but it is a nice protein that is loaded with omega 3's. I like to eat it in the morning - especially when I am rushed, because it is easy to throw in a bowl and take with you. I think you said you live in Canada. Do you have Costco there?  I live in the Chicago area and I buy a lot of meat and produce at Costco.

Another Dr. Oz tip . . . He recommends that everyone eat 2 Brazil nuts every day.  Brazil nuts are loaded with selenium which is a trace mineral that is necessary to keep free radicals in check. I bought a large bag of Brazil nut and put them in a zip lock bag and eat 2 a day. They are quite tasty.

I enjoyed pilates class today.  A lot of stretching!  Cardio tomorrow!

Stay Strong!

• Sparkle,

Oh great!  I will have to check that out.  I just assumed My Fitness Pal was an iphone thing.  Good to know.

Yes, I am from Canada, and I live in such a small town that I refer to it as out-in-the-boondocks!  Costco is an hour and a half away, so I do get there occasionally.

I'm not a salmon fan, but I do like tuna.  I buy the kind that is already seasoned, I like the lemon pepper the best.  It comes in a small serving size.  It does have a bit more fat than the regular, but so much tastier.  I eat it with triscuit crackers and a few veggies.

I'm supposed to be doing LBWO tomorrow, but I tweaked my back shovelling snow today. Unbelievable, since it wasn't even that much snow!  Hoping it's better in the morning, otherwise I'll just do upperbody instead.

Another hockey tournament this weekend, so we're away from home again.  I'll bring along my exercise bands and my INSANITY dvd.  Have you ever tried it?  It's an awesome workout that uses just your own body.  It's good cardio.  But I still prefer lifting weights.  

Good luck with cardio tomorrow!

I'll be away from my computer for the weekend, so I'll touch base when we get back.

Have a good weekend!

And hey, anybody else out there?  Feel free to join us!!