starting my first challenge on 13/10

• Hi

I am starting my first challenge on the 13th Oct.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated - I was suppose to start it on the 6th but have put it off for a week to make sure I am in the right mind set.

I am struggling to write goals for my first challenge.

Is anyone able to help out - and give me some examples of what they did as I really need this to make sure I do not fall off the wagon like I usually do on diets before.

Thanks in advance for your support.

• Hi RealTalk,

First of all, good on you for making the commitment to start the challenge! I think making that decision can be the hardest part.

Have you read the BFL book? It gives a few examples such as "within 12 weeks, I will gain 10 pounds of muscle" and "within 12 weeks, I will lose 20 pounds of fat."

The BFL Success Journal also lists similar goals such as "within 12 weeks, I will reduce my cholesterol to below 200," " within 12 weeks, I will increase my strength by at least 10%" and "within 12 weeks, I will help at least two other people begin Body For Life."

I took this approach, along with really thinking about why I'm doing the challenge and what I want to accomplish, and set similar goals (clothing size I want to be in 12 weeks, specific fitness and nutrition goals, and encouraging others to lead a healthier lifestyle).

Hopefully those listed above will give you some ideas about your own goals. :)

• Laura, I believe we are on the same page here. I tired to start a conversation with you through this site but couldn't figure it out. What are your goals for this challenge? You can email me if you would like.

• Hi, I'm going to start Oct 15. Unfortuntately I have a big event from 18-20th I'm putting on for the weekend.  A reunion of sorts where there will be eating and drinking.  Not sure how I will do through that!  

My goals are lose 10 lbs of fat and gain 5 lbs of muscle.  This will be tough as I play 6-10 hours of beach volleyball a week and lower body strength training tends to take my legs out when trying to play.  This is not recreation beach volleyball but 2 on 2 competitive.  But I'm going through menopause and I have gained alot of fat around the middle!  URGH! hate it.

Barb

• Hi, I'm starting Friday so I'm starting really close to the same time as you are.   My goal is to lose 30 pounds, but I'm not sure if that is possible in 12 weeks, so I'd be completely happy with losing 20 and then continuing on with a second challenge.  I've been going to the gym five times a week for almost 3 months and I really like going there and working out.  My problem is staying on a diet, giving up wine, and not cheating, especially when I'm stressed out.  I need an accountability partner or group, and I hope we can help each other stay on track!  Nice to meet you all!

Julie

• Thanks  Laura. That is a great help and I will be able to set up clear goals from this....

Just hope I am able to achieve realistic goals

Julie... Pm and we can support each other if you wish.... Be easier to do it as a group x

• Hi all,

I'm starting Monday the 15th and have to admit I'm pretty nervous. I sat down to write my goals and drew a blank until I thought about how being 326 lbs makes me feel. Then it flowed from there. My main goal is just to feel beautiful. I can honestly say I've never felt that way. Even on my wedding day. Good luck to us all. I hope this helped.

I once had faith in the surgery, I now have faith in me.

• hi psychcjs...good luck... feel free to pm me and we can support each other....

• Hi RealTalk!  I'm new here and I'm starting this Saturyday the 13th.  Would love to be a part of the October group.  

Laura2012 great advice. I've wondered how to set goals. I need to work on my list for the next 12-weeks. I have a Costume Wedding Engagement Party on the 27th. That will be a tough one to get through...  I'll need to set a goal for probably that entire weekend!

Anyone who needs motivation or accountability I'm here and could use it too! =)

• Psychcjs, I changed my starting date from Friday to Monday so I'll be starting with you then.  We can buddy up and count the days together.  I just realized I'm setting myself up for failure by starting a diet on a Friday  and then starting a diet when I have really bad PMS?  I don't think so.  Plus, I need a couple of days to plan meals and shop and all that stuff.  Monday is always a good day for a new beginning so I'm looking forward to it instead of being scared that I'll fail over the weekend.  We will do it this time!

• Hey 44, I'm excited and just finished my food shopping. We will get through this and come out stronger than we know. I can't wait.

I once had faith in the surgery, I now have faith in me.

• Good for you!!  I'm excited, too!  I have needed an accountability partner for soooo long.  We definitely need that faith in ourselves!!!

Julie

• Welcome everyone defo need help to get through it....

Good luck to all..., my sure the journey will be both rewarding and challenging

I've done my first workout.. Took a little longer than I wanted but hey HO...had more strength then I thought I wud...

Had my first too meals

If anyone struggles with hunger I recommend the following supplement

Dexaprine by I-force it's great

• Good for you, RealTalk!  I was wondering how your first day went.  I'm glad you had a positive experience in feeling more strength than you expected, that's great!

• Are you ready for this tomorrow, Psychcjs?  In addition to my one year old and three year old, I am going to be watching my friend's 10 month old tomorrow, so talk about a real challenge for my first day on the BFL challenge!  I am gearing up today, though, shopping and cooking tonight and I'm going to go do zumba this morning to get a jumpstart on things.  I'm starting the diet today, too, just to get the feel of sticking to it, but I'm still considering tomorrow my start day.  PMS is finally over, too.  Boy, it was brutal this month!!!