Starting Sept 30th 2012. CANNOT DO IT ALONE

• I grabbed a fistful of belly fat this morning and gave out a long sigh and thought about getting mcdonalds for breakfast, but, well that isnt going to shift it.  just over a week in and I think I expect too much.

• Cal, I hate to say it because I don't want you to think I'm picking on you, but I think you might benefit from eating more.  You shouldn't be eating any less than 1500 calories (calculate your basal metabolic rate here to see the baseline of calories you need: www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/bmr.php), but you'd probably do even better eating 1800 - 2000 since you're working out.  Right now your body can't maintain muscle mass when you're only eating 1000 calories or less per day. If you're not eating enough, your metabolism slows way down.  I know it might seem like a good way to lose weight fast, but then when you eventually start eating more your body will try to hoard all those calories thinking it might be starved again.  This article kind of explains it better: www.everydayhealth.com/.../fewer-calories-stalls-metabolism.aspx

Other than that, it sounds like you're doing really well!  You're getting in a lot of good exercise!  How has this week been so far for you? Any weight loss this week yet?

Chad, how are things going with you? Sounds great that you're losing inches - that means you're building muscle and losing fat at the same rate probably!  Has it been any easier to stay on track with your meal plans?

This week has been going very well for me so far.  Suddenly it feels like I'm really starting to lose weight. It was coming off so slowly at first (~1 lb/week) but I noticed subtle differences in the way my clothes were fitting and just overall feeling good.  Well, since Monday I have already lost nearly another pound and suddenly my pants are much looser.  The ones I wore today were practically falling off me by the time I got home from work!  So I'm starting to feel like it is all paying off finally. I can't wait to see what happens in the next few weeks even though it'll be hard with holiday temptations coming up.

Hope the rest of you are doing well!  We're getting there!  More than halfway through at this point. :)

• MrCynical,

LOL, McDonalds probably isn't the best breakfast choice while on BFL, but you could always have it on your free day. Don't stress yourself out too much during the first few weeks.  It's hard and you'll feel like nothing is changing, but you just have to keep at it and believe in yourself.  Eventually all of your hard work will start to show! :)

Hope things are going well for you! You're nearly done with two weeks now, right?  Great job on sticking with it!

• So cool you are noticing the weight loss Laura, can't wait till I get there!  

I THINK i noticed my work pants were easier to put on last week, but I am having my off day today so everything is a blur of energy drinks and pastry.  

While my food hasn't been perfect, it has been pretty good and I haven't missed a workout, I am having my first weekend free of junkfood so my free day should just be today, instead of spreading out over two (and a bit :S).

Two weeks on Monday!

• Wow, I have had quite a difficult time staying on track this past week. I have been so exhausted from not only working out hard, but not getting enough sleep. Bad idea!  And now I've come down with an upper respiratory infection which doesn't help.  I'm trying to beat it do that it doesn't turn into a chest cold and it feels like I might be succeeding so far.

I haven't gone to the gym for a week now, however I did run 4 miles last Saturday so at least I got some cardio in. My diet has been suffering this week as well, but I'm motivating myself to do better. I've 'cheated' every day since Saturday which is so terrible!  But I'm still eating mostly BFL for most meals...just also have sneaked junk in there too. Being sick hasn't helped as I just want to relax and eat comfort food instead of standing over the stove cooking for 30 minutes. BUT, I know that this is just a blip and I'll get right back on track! I don't want to lose the progress I've already made and want to keep my promises I made to myself Oct 1st.

How are the rest of you doing?

• Oh, I forgot to mention that I was so thrilled when I went shopping last Thursday. I found a pair of pants on sale in a size smaller than I have been wearing and decided to try them on. THEY FIT! It was such an uplifting and motivating moment for me! Now I just need to think about that and get right back into the groove of things, so that in another 4 or 5 weeks I'll be able to fit into an even smaller pair of pants. :)

• Hey everyone, hope you all are still sticking to the program!

I did my LBWO this AM, and rode my bike into the office.  I did increase my calorie/carb intake and am again seeing weight loss.  I'm down from 280 to 256 on the first day of week8.  Long ways to go, but if I can maintain this weight loss pattern, even though it's taking longer then I'd like, I can handle it :)

Good luck everyone!!

• Laura that's great news!  It's always fun when you are getting smaller and buying new clothes.  I've gone down two pant sizes, from a 46 to a 42.  For the first time in years I very comfortable wore a pair of 42 Levis, but 38 or under is my goal, 36 is a good healthy size for me, so ways to go, I enjoy the journey, although most of my clothes are too big now :)

• Cal1, sounds like you're doing very well!  Great to hear!  I'm glad you're starting to see weight loss results again now that you've switched things up. :)  You know, even if you don't lose everything you'd hoped for on this challenge, you will lose more on your next one.  Way to go on losing nearly 25 pounds so far and going down two pants sizes!  That is incredible!  

I had a tough time last week but have been good eating-wise this week so far.  Unfortunately I didn't make it to the gym (yet again) today because my dang cold and sinus infection are wearing me out.  I hardly was able to sleep last night and the thought of waking up at 5:30 to do my LBWO on two hours of sleep just didn't seem like a good idea at the time.  I'm hoping I'm well enough tomorrow to actually do some weightlifting and make up today's workout.  I won't do HIIT cardio until this cough stops.  If nothing else, I will at least do an hour of my physical therapy exercises which strengthen my hamstrings, glutes, and calves.

I can't wait to hear how everyone else is doing and see/hear about all of our results at the end! :)

• Laura things seem to be heading in the right direction, and as long as I can see results, even if seemingly small, it keeps me motivated and focused, and my vision of where I want to go also helps.

I'm tired of letting my weight/physical appearance be a hindrance to my life.  Even though it's not fair that people judge you on appearances, it's a fact of life, and I cannot take it's deep reaching affects any more, so it's really pushing me.  I'm definitely seeing some muscle mass build which seems to offset some of the weight loss, but at the same time clothes that even just a few weeks ago didn't fit well are now fitting well and I've been busy ordering new clothes, but still have a long way to go.

Get well Laura so you can continue the journey!

• I'm so with you there Cal1.  So many missed opportunities because you don't want to go somewhere that involves taking off your shirt :S

• Yeah that and it just gets in the way of life, I'm no where near where I want to be right now, but progress is paving the road forward, so I'll keep plugging away.  My goal is that by next summer (yeah like six months from now), I will be able to enjoy taking my shirt off at the beach or where ever it's required :)

I hope everyone's staying on target, we're onto week 9!!!

• Cal1, I'm sure you'll reach that goal by next summer!  You're already making great progress! :)

I think I am finally starting to get over this crud that I've had for nearly three weeks now.  I have not felt well enough to get into the gym, but added back in my cardio this week (toned down some, as I still have a congested cough).  I am considering getting back to weights tomorrow morning, but I may just wait until Monday - after I visit my dr to make sure she gives me the "ok" to officially get back to it full force.

Luckily, I've been sticking to the eating plan the majority of the time.  I'm down even more weight (it's been nearly three years since I've been this low, yay!), which I'm happy about but I realize I have probably lost a bit of muscle mass.  I'm hoping to make the final three weeks of this challenge the best yet!

I hope the rest of you are doing well!  Can you believe we've made it this far?! Great job everyone! :)

• Cal1, how's it going for you?

I've had a hard time getting back into the groove.  Last week was a bust due to a family emergency, but have made it back on track this week (except that I missed my UBWO this morning). I did get a couple awesome cardio workouts in at the end of last week.  It's amazing how good it feels to run off a bunch of stress!  I am running faster than when I started which is exciting for me (one of my goals is to run a 10 minute mile or less), but after missing three weeks of cardio due to my terrible chest cold, I'm not quite where I wanted to be at this point.  I did meet another one of my 12 week goals last week though: I was able to hold a plank position for over 90 seconds!  I used to have a really tough time holding it for even 30 seconds, so I'm happy that my core strength is improving (must've been all the coughing I did lol!).

Well, we only have less than two weeks before this challenge is officially over!  I'm kind of disappointed in myself right now, but I plan on doing a second challenge at the start of the new year.  I am hopeful that I'll stay with it better without all the holidays tempting me with sugary treats. :)

Hope you're all doing well!

• So just Monday I posted about my 10 minute or less mile goal and wasn't sure that I'd make it because of my super long setback last month.  Well, I did today!!!

I was so happy!  I decided to get an extra cardio session in today (normally I follow the plan of T, TH, Sat) and set my treadmill for 4 miles (at 1% incline).  Since I wasn't doing an official BFL cardio session, I didn't do HIIT this time.  After I warmed up, I decided to run for a mile straight without any walk breaks and I ended up finishing the first mile in 9:48!  That is the fastest I can recall ever running a mile, so I am pretty thrilled.  Of course, after pushing myself for that first mile, it made it a bit more difficult on the last 3, but I did it.  Just with walk breaks and a slower running pace at times.

I definitely think that the HIIT cardio sessions are what got me to this point.  I had been "running" all last year and never was able to get anywhere close to this pace.  My overall running pace is already quite a bit faster than it used to be - and now I'm looking forward to see just how fast I will get as I continue to run next year. :)