Starting Sept 30th 2012. CANNOT DO IT ALONE

• Week three went pretty well for me, but I didn't get all of my workouts in unfortunately.  Still lost some weight however.  I am down 4 lbs from when I started three weeks ago.  Not a whole lot, but I think it's great considering I am probably building muscle as well as losing fat.  I haven't taken my body measurements, but I am positive I'm losing inches (or at least fractions of inches lol) due to the way my clothes are fitting now.  It isn't anything super noticeable, but it is still giving me some motivation to keep going.

Cal1, I agree that you shouldn't worry too much about the gain.  I mean, you've lost quite a bit so far regardless! :)  Isn't it something like 13 pounds down now?  That is a huge loss in just three weeks!

Can't wait to hit week 4!  We're nearly a third of the way through our challenge. :)  Hope the rest of you are doing well too.  I have been bad about not logging on to BFL.com the last week, but I'm going to try to remedy that next week, since it is supposed to be part of my daily plan.

• Cal1, I read this "Lesson for Life" in my BFL Success Journal tonight as I started my evening journaling and it immediately made me think of you and the post you made this weekend:

"I cannot emphasize enough that the Body-for-Life program is not simply about weight loss.  Unlike virtually all the popular diet programs that basically measure your success by how much less space you take up on the planet, Body-for-Life is different: It's about gaining energy, increasing strength, renewing health, and decreasing bodyfat.  So please, don't make the mistake of measuring your success each day, each week, or each month by the amount of weight a scale says you have lost. Measure your success by what you gain, not by what you lose: Gaining strength. Gaining muscle.  Gaining energy.  Gaining self-respect.  Gaining self-awareness.  Gaining self-trust.  Gaining self-esteem.  Gaining back control of your life! This is what the Body-for-Life experience is all about!" -Bill Phillips

I have lost a small amount of weight thus far (approx 4 lbs in three weeks), but I am not letting it get to me.  I read the above paragraph and it really hit home for me.  I hope it does the same for you! :)

Let's all hit Week 4 hard!  We can do this!

• Thanks for the words of encouragement Laura!!!   That is well put, I think I'll print it out and hang it at my desk at work.

I'm happy with my progress, I am getting stronger, extra physical activities are getting easier, I just wish the weight would come off quicker :)  

Well here's to week four, best of luck everyone, and keep on keeping on!!

• Thats the right attitude Cal1, we all are getting stronger every day we keep at this. Week four has been great so far, starting to see a change. I'm so excited of what week 12 will be like.

Keep focused everyone!!

• Week 4 has been going ok for me so far, but I did miss my UBWO this morning. I've stayed on my eating plan though, which was a little difficult yesterday when we had a spontaneous pizza party at work (I didn't eat any and ate my planned meal!).

Hey, are any of the other Oct 1st starters out there? If so, post here and let us know how things are going. I do enjoy hearing from Chadw1275 and Cal1, but would like to hear from others too. Especially those of you that started this thread/posted on the first page. :)

• I was thinking about doing the weight training M-F, alternating between LBWO and UBWO (still keeping the aerobics), I wonder how much improvement this would make?  

Friday's are tough at work because they cater in lunch, today was Chicago style pizza....it's really good, but I sat at my desk eating my salad and turkey.....sigh :)

• So would you do the cardio on the same day as your weight days?  I think that would be fine, except that you might not be able to hit your 10s doing both in the same day.  Are you just wanting to get in more weightlifting than you're already getting?  It might make an improvement, but it might also backfire.  It is best to have at least 48 hours of rest between exercising the same muscle groups so that your body can recover completely and build up your muscles.

Several years ago I worked out with a personal trainer 4x/wk for a few months, and he had me do one muscle group once a week (back/biceps, chest/triceps, legs, shoulders). I would always do cardio before the weightlifting and then do abs after.  He worked me very hard and it would have been very difficult to do those muscle groups more than once a week.  I built muscle and really dropped weight within a couple months.  Unfortunately, I didn't stick with it and that is why I am now doing this program. :)

Anyway, maybe I misread what you wrote above, but I think it would be best to keep to the BFL plan at least for this first challenge and then maybe you could switch things up on your next one. You're still getting equal UBWO and LBWO in, it's just switched every week (2 of one, 1 of the other per week).  It equals out in the end.

And good job on sticking to your plan on Friday at work!  It is really hard when there are "bad" foods there, isn't it?  I've been doing well staying away from anything at work that is not in my eating plan.  Even if I'm offered something healthy, I don't take it because I plan out all of my meals the day before and don't want to mess it up.

Can you all believe we're done with week 4?!  We're a third of the way through this!  I've noticed changes in my body and took measurements and pictures to document how well I've done.  I am happy with the results but can't wait for the next couple months to see a bigger difference.

• My main goal with BFL was weight loss, and I thought with the weight lifting it would help with toning, as weight loss without it can be an issue.

I've been stuck in the 260's now for almost three weeks....not sure what's going on, but maybe I was too aggressive with my ultra low cal/low carb diet, so as much as it seems counter-intuitive, and scares me to do so in fear that all the working out may be in vein,  I'm adding more calories and carbs into my diet (I was doing something lik 500-600 calories per day, and only about 20 carbs).  I'll do it more like what the BFL book is suggesting, hopefully it works, just seems like a lot of food for a diet.  

I know BFL isn't just a diet, but still :)

Got my UBWO in this morning, and finished an EAS Carb Control Mytoplex shake for breakfast, happy week 5 everyone!!

• It sounds like your metabolism started to shut down since it wasn't getting enough calories, so it's a good thing you're adding more calories and carbs!  I know it will probably seem like the wrong thing to do, especially after how little you were eating the first few weeks, but it will be so much better for you!  

I decided to calculate how many calories I've been eating on average doing this program, and I am getting between 1600 - 1700 a day. I think I need to work on my macro nutrients though, because I'm averaging 50% carbs, 10% fat, and 40% protein.  It does seem to be working for me, but I wonder if I should try to switch out some of those carbs for more fat.  At least my carbs are only coming from complex carbs and fruits/vegatables/beans and not the bad stuff that I used to eat.  I am rarely hungry and am not craving many sweets like I used to.  If I do crave something, I will often put it aside and keep it until my free day on Sunday and eat it then (or not, depending on my mood that day).

Glad you got your UBWO in and that you're adding more protein (the shakes).  Time to grow some muscles and get that metabolism in gear again!

Week 5 has been going very well for me.  I've tried a new recipe (Emily Alvers' Ooey Gooey Baked Pasta - yum!) and have enough leftovers for a few more days worth of lunch/dinner.  Haven't missed any workouts yet this week (I know, it's only been two days, but still :P) and am planning on waking up early tomorrow for my LBWO.  Can't wait!

Tomorrow will be an off day eating wise though.  I decided to make it my partial free day since we're doing a Halloween thing at work and I want to be able to spend it with my co-workers instead of going home this time.  I will make sure all of my meals besides lunch are BFL, and will not go overboard at lunch. I'm not too worried about it, since I know I'll be right back on the program.

Hope the rest of you are having a great week 5!

• Sounds like Cal and Laura are doing great!! Is there anyone else out there hanging in with us?? If so please update us on your progress.

My workouts are going great, I love lifting weights!!! I wonder if I am getting enough calories in. I eat a little more on the weekends and seem to lose weight by doing so and don't lose over the week. I don't get that.

Cal--how are those workouts going?

• Glad to hear both of you, Chad and Cal, started out week 5 doing well.  How have things gone the rest of this week for you?

Chad, that is odd about the weight loss on the weekends but not during the week.  You might as well try eating more calories to see if it helps or not.  If it doesn't, just go back to what you were doing before.  I just entered in all of my meals into MyFitnessPal.com to calculate my calories and macronutrients. I did that for 3 or 4 days of last week and got my average.  Haven't bothered with it this week, mostly because it's time consuming and I'm already spending time planning and journaling for this challenge.

I haven't missed any workouts this week, which is good for me.  I am really starting to get into my workouts and enjoy the way I feel after.  I am lifting more weight and am running faster than when I started.  I can't wait to see what happens in another 5 weeks!  I can't really imagine going faster than I am now to hit my 10s, but I'm sure I'll need to eventually (which is a good thing, just scary to think about lol).

I had a couple unplanned meals this week (lunch yesterday and today), but I kept my portions much smaller than I used to in the past, and went right back on plan for my next meals.  It's just been one of those weeks at work!  I will stick to my meal plan tomorrow as all holidays and birthdays are done for a while.  I feel so much better when I eat the BFL way - I am never hungry and even better, I'm never tired in the late afternoon anymore!  It must be the combo of eating healthy foods that don't spike blood sugar and eating every 2-3 hours.  

Well, it seems like it's just the three of us remaining!  I hope we eventually hear from the others, especially the one that started this thread.

Hope you're all doing well and ready to bring on Week 6 in a few days.  We're almost halfway through our challenge! :)

• So how are things going for the rest of you Oct 1 starters?  Week 5 went very well for me for the most part.  I had a few slip ups, but nothing bad.  I didn't get my normal cardio workout in today, but I did spend 2-3 hours washing and waxing my car which worked me into a sweat, so I'm counting that.  I know it wasn't HIIT, but at least it was working my body!

I have also stayed on my meal plan today, which I have to admit has been hard (on Saturdays), so I am feeling good.  I weighed myself this morning and I'm down another pound from last week.  I seem to be on a 1 lb/wk loss, and that is fine with me.  I know I'm building muscle and losing fat at the same time.  I'm seeing and feeling results, but if I feel like I haven't gotten the results I wanted by the end of week 12, that just means I'll work even harder on my next challenge!

Hope you are all having a great weekend! Can you believe Week 6 is here in just two days?!

• Anyone from this group still out there?  Would love to hear from you! Hope you're all doing well now that we're nearly halfway finished with our challenge.  

Have you had any losses or changes in the way you look or feel?  Share your successes! :)

I had a great LBWO this morning and am looking forward to my cardio tomorrow. I somehow lost two pounds last week even though I had some slip-ups, so I'm thrilled! :) Total of 6 pounds lost so far.

• Great job Laura!!!

I feel great just not losing weight, but think I am inches though.

• Hey guys!!  

I'm still doing my thing.  I too feel like I'm not loosing weight, I've been stuck at the same weight since 10/15!!  Frustrating.  I increased my calorie intake a bit until I can figure out what's going on.  I was only doing ~600 calories per day, now I'm more closer to 1000 calories per day.   I definitely feel better, and am seeing some small improvements in muscle building (I also love the weight training).  I also changed my walk during lunches from a HIT 20 minute walk, to a 4 mile brisk walk that I can complete in about 45-50 minutes.  I'm hoping this provide better results then my HIT power walks.  

I hope everyone is rocking the BFL program!!!