Starting Aug 6th. Need support & help with diet

• Hello, I am 43, 5.3 and very unhappy with myself. I have been overweight for 24 years now. I want to lose 40 lbs minimum.  I am a self proclaimed carb addict, and sugar addict. i love sweet stuff and the only, and I mean ONLY vegetable I can eat is raw carrots.  You can all tell me to try or force myself to eat them, but I won't and mostly can't. I will actually throw it up. I am sure a lot of it is mental, had some crazy things happen when I was a kid with regards to eating, and not sure if that has anything to do with it, but my Mom doesn't eat a lot of vegetables either.  I have been working with a trainer for some time now, have lost some inches, but the weight doesn't come off. He suggested I do the 90 day challenge for BFL and try to stay within the diet as much as possible.  I don't each huge portions of my meals, but I'm a definate grazer & eat out of boredom or emotional reasons. I get insane cravings especially at work sitting at my desk & when I get home from work.  These are going to be hard to break, but I want to be healthy and I want to feel good about myself like I did when I was 18.  Anyone starting the same time and want to support each other?

Michelle

• Seems simple, make sure you have lots of carrots on hand.  I myself love mushrooms and onions.  I always have fresh mushrooms and have sliced onion in a container on hand.  Almost everything I make has mushrooms and onions on it.  I also have spinach as well, since it works great in a wraps.  I also have a few sweat peas on hand, they are actually quite good and nice to have just to munch on.

You should stay away from sugar and processed carbs if you can, stick with natural carbs like whole grains and fruits, the diet promotes this and really it's much better for your general health overall.

I like to add vegetables as much as possible to my meals.  They are so low on the calories scale and so full of nutrients.  I find they help to fill me up, where the portion of carb and portion of protein may not be enough.  Try experimenting with some new ones, like yellow peppers (they are quite sweat) or sweat peas.  Don't forget your taste buds do mature over time, every 6 years or so I'm told.  You may find things you didn't like that are now quite enjoyable.

• Have you ever spoken with a nutritionist or physician about being unable, either mentally or physically, to eat vegetables? That does sound like some sort of underlying issue... are you unable to eat anything cooked? What about other root vegetables such as potatoes and beets? Lettuces? Tomatoes, which are actually a fruit? Squash? Just curious... I am not a professional but have spent a lot of time dealing with allergies/intolerances in loved ones and am also well versed in naturopathy.

First off, I would recommend you take multivitamins with some type of added "Greens" in it. You can find these at natural grocery stores. There are a lot of pill/capsule supplements that have added things like grass, spirulina, broccoli, alfalfa, algaes, etc. These are definitely necessary for body health, especially if you are about to throw your body into the working out + clean eating. And it may actually "ease" your body into eating vegetables if it's a physical problem.

I am also a sugar addict and hate artificial sweeteners so I did what I could not to suppress the craving, but creatively answer it. If I was craving sugar, I'd make a protein shake with vanilla powder and berries. Or make a fruit salad, salsa, or relish (with no additional sugar) and add that to a meal.

On the emotional/boredom eating and grazing, hopefully eating 6 times a day will help that! Eating every 2-3 hours usually cuts out the grazing. Or make your meal, and eat it very slowly. Sometimes I would take an hour to drink a protein smoothie. Then an hour passes and hey, time to eat again! Adjust your habits around your needs. There is no "one way" to do anything on here when it comes to the nutrition, which is what I love about B4L: It's open ended enough you can make it work for your personal life and attitude.

I hope this helps somewhat. I've completed one full Challenge and am starting another after Labor Day. Good luck!

• Hi Mitch,

I can understand your problem.  I grew up in a household where corn and peas were the only veggies we usually ate ... and they aren't veggies; they are carbs.  Bummer!  I hated vegetables.  The good news is that I did learn to like them, some raw, some cooked, and am now mostly vegetarian!  (Okay, you picture a slender healthy looking person as a vegetarian.  Turns out there's no meat in chocolate or cake or bread!)  Carrots were the rare exception to my veg aversion.  When I went on Weight Watchers years ago, I ate a lot of carrots ... so much that my skin turned yellow!  No joke!  So carrots can be overdone and do have more calories than other veggies.  (I know, we aren't supposed to count calories!)

How about putting veggies in soup - you can even put the soup in a blender so that you can't see the veggies any more.  MWSeahorse, we are permitted soup on BFL, right?  

What I did was cook vegetables with other foods to cover up the taste, and cut them up very small.   I tried the mildest tasting veggies, and sometimes made dip - that disguises the taste too.

Best of luck with BFL - IT'S AWESOME!  And there are plenty of us out here when you need support.

Mary

• PS:  There is another Forum thread set up by someone who started on August 6th as well.  The name of the thread is:  "Anyone starting around August 6th and want to support each other?"

• Have you tried juicing?  I know whole fruit/veggies are best, but it may start your taste buds in the right direction! Good Luck!

• Hi there,

I have created a support group on Facebook called Body for Lifers!

I have just started the Body For Life program (8/15/12) and know I need an easily accessible support group. I would really like to have a forum where questions can be answered, encouragement given, progress celebrated and ideas generated. I know that over the next 12 weeks it will be easy to get stuck in a rut either with eating or training and having a group of fellow Body for Lifers will be invaluable!

Come join us!

Laura