Week 3 Ups and Downs

• Hello fellow BFLers!

My name is Chuck, I just completed my 2nd week of BFL.  The first 2 weeks have been very rewarding, I already feel so much better.  This past Sunday I ran my first 1/2 marathon.  Finishing felt fantastic, not sure I could have done that 2 weeks ago. 

I decided during this challenge I would only weigh myself on Sunday.  The first week I lost 5.5 lbs however the 2nd week I only lost 2.  Talk about disappointing.  I feel like I'm doing everything right.  I eat all 6 of my meals most days, some days I miss the last one only because I may have lost track during the day and missed a meal by an hour or two throwing off my meal timing for the rest of the day.  I've been hitting the gym everyday, haven't missed a workout!!  I've even been getting up at 5:30 to get my cardio workouts in before work.  Yet I only lost 2 lbs.  I am trying to stay positive.  I look at it like this, if I lose 2 lbs every week for 12 weeks thats 24 lbs.  Much more than I planned on so the results would be fantastic.  Today for the first time I felt like my pants were a little looser, another little boost on this challenge. 

So, after 2 weeks I still have a few questions maybe someone out there could offer some guidance.  1) Sundays are my free day and it says to enjoy and don't worry and have been, pretty much all day I eat what I want which I usually feel guilty about on Monday.  For this plan to work should I reel in my free day or just go ahead and enjoy?  2)  As I said earlier I've skipped a couple of meals but it seems so difficult to get all the meals in throughout the day.  I eat breakfast at 7:15, snack at 10:30, lunch at 1:15 (I get my workout in during lunch 12-1), snack 4:00, dinner at 6:30 (this is the time the whole family eats dinner together), and snack at 8:30, bedtime around 9:30.  Do you think I'm eating to close to bedtime and are these time appropriate to maximize the plans effectiveness? 

Anyway, I hope everyone out there is feeling as good about their challenge as I am about mine.  Good luck and keep up the good work, you're worth it.

Chuck

• Chuck,

I'm so glad you're with us here! You're going to find the support you need to stick to your challenge.

I'm C1W4D1, so just a couple of weeks ahead of you.

Losing about 2 lbs a week is healthy. Your first week was likely part water weight. I know that my first week, I lost almost 3 lbs - and I know it was mostly water. That said, I haven't lost a pound since. I Weighed myself before I started, at the end of the first week, and then again at the end of Week 3. I USED to be a scale addict, but now that I'm actually working out and eating right, I'm not so tied to it. I know that I'm replacing my fat with muscle, and that there are many, many more gains to be had that overpower what that scale can or can't tell me.

To respond to your questions (and my advice here is based upon 3 weeks of reading the original BFL, the Champions for Life, and actively reading the board here, but ONLY 3 weeks of experience, so take it as you must...)

1) Yes, Sundays are your Free Day. As I read in another much better stated post, however, make it your "Free to Make Good Choices" Day, not your "Free for All" Day. There's a thread about "Free Day Hangovers" in Crossing the Abyss that might interest you. Many people find their temptations dwindling before long. That said, be sure to use your Free Day (whatever day of the week it is for you) for Rest and Recuperation. Your body and your mind both need it!

2) Eating enough of the right fuel at intervals throughout the day is essential. Food is fuel, and just as you couldn't expect your car to run on an empty tank, neither can your metabolism. To keep your metabolism running, it needs that stead supply. Every 2-3 hours is rule of thumb. For me, that's 6:30a, 9:30a, 12:30p, 3:15p (workout), 6:00, 8:00. Bedtime at 9:00.  I've read some posts that say to eat in bed if you must to get that last meal in. I can't do that - it sits like a rock in my tummy if I do and I wake up feeling miserable. That hour is good enough for me to get it digesting and get ready for bed.

Thanks for the encouragement at the end of your post, Chuck - you're right - we're ALL worth it. Hope to see you around the boards!!

~Kimmie

"The limits you are living with right now, in every aspect of your existence, have been created by your mind. They are perceptions. And they are holding you back. You are capable of far more than you think you are." -Bill Phillips

• I, too, think your eating schedule sounds really good. Sounds like you are doing very well! As Kimmie states, your free days can hold you back if the entire day is a bingefest (I speak from personal experience!) I mean, sure, snack here and there on things you like, get your favorite latte, whatever. But you could potentially gain back what you lost during the week (and then some) and that's why you feel terrible.

Just me 2 cents

Stay strong!

"The joy of life is the fruit of discipline" -S. Randall

• Thanks for the great feedback!!  This Sunday I'm really going to try to reign in the binging. I appreciate all of the support.

• I started my 3rd week Monday. I have been fallinf off the wagon off and on for the last  days, I am not sure why. its very frustrting, I did GREAT the first week and half, but lately I have been going back to my old habits. which is  I will eat great all day, then I get his darn sweet attack then I need osmething. but  I will continue my journey and will keep working on my faults. I just thought I would hold myself accountable and tell everyone. I know this is not just a 12 week program this is life and there willbe ups and downs and screw ups, I am just hoping my screws up are done now. I really really want to meet my goals. stay on track and be good to yourselves. god bless

• changed up my cardio a little this morning, I am so tired of the treadmill. so instead I decided just to dance around the house with my 2 year lod, jumping jacks, running up and down the sirs(shich I have to say killed me, my legs felt like they were on fire) I dont' know if I hit a 10, but I will have to say I thought I wouldn;t make it through the 20 mins, but it did go my fast. back on the treadmill, UGH on Friday. I thought I would trick my body a little, hopefully it worked. have an awesome day , guys

• Responding to the free day- here is what I did/ do:

In the beginnning, I went crazy on my free day and ate WHATEVER I wanted. Then.... as the weeks went by... I didn't crave as much fatty foods as I used to. Now (and I have said this in my earlier posts), I usually have strong cravings in the middle of the week and make a list of foods that I want to eat for my free day. But then, My free day is here and guess what? I don't really care to have all the sugar refined high calorie foods. I crave more level headed things like spaghetti with ground turkey meat sauce and lean hamburgers.

Yes, I kick myself later in the week when the evil craving monster catches me again, but the cycle just repeats itself.

Sure, go nuts right now. But it won't last. :)

Stacy Lynn