A letter to myself...and maybe you.

• If you appreciate tough love, this might work for you.  If you prefer being coddled and enabled, you might not want to read this.

What do you want?

Do you want to be thinner?

Do you want to be more healthy?

Do you want to repair years of abuse to your body?

Whatever your reason for taking on a BFL challenge or even just adopting new habits within BFL guidelines, decide what your end or intermediate goals are.

Change is difficult, Eating 5-6 nutritious meals a day when you are used to waiting all day and bingeing on fat and empty calories is difficult.  Eating vegetables when you really can't stand the smell of them is difficult.  Getting off the couch or out from behind your computer and engaging in challenging cardio and resistance training is difficult...or is it?

In actuality none of the changes required by BFL are hard to master.  NONE OF THEM.  Thousands have successfully mastered a 12 week challenge and seen measurable results.  What may be difficult is your own resistance to change. 

Whatever got you into your current state can be reversed.  You have to use the only tools that can get you out of it...your brain and your body. These are the same two things that made you the lazy fat mess that you are today. 

Stop making excuses!

I can't afford a gym.  

Fine.  Use Google and look for alternatives for at home or get suggestions in online forums.

I can't afford supplements.  

Fine.  Do BFL without them.  Plan 6 nutritious meals a day of one lean protein portion, one nutritious carb portion and add veggies at least twice a day.

I don't want to give up my favorite foods.  

Great, you don't have to.  Enjoy them on your free day or eat them all the time and stay fat.

My lifestyle doesn't support eating six times a day.  

Fine, change your lifestyle.  Plan your meals and pre-cook and package foods.  If you can afford protein shakes and bars, plan them into your day or use them if you have to for times that you didn't plan well.

I don't have time for all that preparing and planning.  

You are a liar, stop watching tv or whatever you waste your time on and start new habits.

My friends and family put pressure on me to join them in unhealthy eating.  

For whom are you living your life?  For them?  Is it worth it to you to give in to what they want you to eat?  Start educating them about what you have learned about nutrition and set boundaries.  Be firm but compassionate with them about your choices.  If they hate you so much that they continue to push you to unhealthy ways, dump them for disrespecting you so much.

Ooh I started the challenge and I ate unauthorized food.

Recognize what you did and move on, from this very minute. Decide why you wanted to punish yourself with unhealthy food that wasn't on your free day.  What did it achieve?  Guilt?  Slower or no progress?  Great! those things are worth it for sure.  Stop living for the experience of food and use it to fuel your body.  Save your favorites for free day.  Or stay weak-minded and fat.

I missed a workout (or two).  

OK, Recognize what you did and move on.  If it was because of work or family, it may mean that you have to make changes in your schedule (or require others to change their schedule).  Depending on timing you can "make up" workouts on subsequent days.  Don't do this often because you start to minimize the usefulness of your workouts.

I've been following the plan for three days and I haven't lost any weight.  

Um, The program is called "Body For Life."  Those last two words are kinda important.

It is Week 7 and I haven't lost that much weight.  

Well are you feeling better, moving more easily, feeling stronger? Do your clothes fit more comfortably?  If so then congratulations and keep it up. Did you honestly stick with the nutrition and exercise 100%?  If not then the fact that it is week 7 doesn't matter at all, you didn't follow the program so you are getting poor results.

It seems so much easier to just take a pill, get surgery, drink that fat loss tea or whatever to lose weight.  

Go for it!  Just don't whine when it doesn't work.

My genetics make losing weight impossible.  

OK, but do your genetics keep you from eating healthy foods and exercising?

There are probably hundreds of variations on these excuses or others that you can make to keep yourself from changing.  Excuses are only resistance to doing something different.  Excuses keep you from being healthy, fit, thin, attractive or whatever your goal is.

There is a quote attributed to Albert Einstein that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.  You might be insane to think that eating Cheetos and Cheesecake in front of the TV is going to suddenly make you healthier.  Those bad habits will keep you as fat and lazy as they always have.  Be sane!  Do different things to get the results that you want.

If BFL sounds too hard for you, change your mind. Stop that weak thinking and start to love yourself a bit more.  Decide you are worth it.  Just start doing it, follow the nutrition and exercise 100% and see what happens.  It may be that your behaviors have to change before your mind does.

At the end of 12 weeks you are not convinced you made progress toward a more healthy you, then you have probably lied to yourself about how closely you followed the program.

• I think a good quote to go along with this is " nothing tastes as good as thin feels"!  Nice post buddy!

I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds."  -Henry Rollins-

• OH MY!! I love love love your "letter" JamesK. Well said - VERY well said!

• You are so right.  I have tried Body for Life in the past and it really works.  I gave in before reaching my goal and I only have myself to blame.  I am starting the program again and would really love the support of fellow BFL'ers.  I live in South Africa and unfortunately the BFL offices closed down.  I have all the books and the CD Set.  We cannot get Myoplex products anymore either, so I have had to look at other Protein Powders and bars.  Because BFL has pulled out of SA, I also cannot enter the challenge.  I am going to do my best on my own and would really appreciate motivation from all of you who are working toward your goal of completing the challenge and winning.  Mich Umhlanga South Africa

• Mike Wow!  Energy, Energy, Energy!   I just finished my cardio and (waited 1 hour) just finished my first meal of the day. - Ahi Tuna, Surrounded by a colorful mixture of bell peppers and carrots,  and complimented by wheat toast. (forgot the tomatoe...man how am I going to eat so many tomatoes....answer....a little at a time)

I am on cloud 9 because after today, week 7 will be done and logged in the books!   I am not just crossing my Abyss....I AM SHATTERING it!

Like many yup - weeks 1-8 struggling growing pains.

But  it's not mattering "what my body is going to look like" it more of HOW FAR CAN I PUSH MYSELF until week 12 and THEN let's see what my body looks like.  So at the end of this week I'll hold myself accountable and post my beginning, 8th week pics and now it's got me excited to see just how much transformation can happen in the last four weeks.

I am no longer worried about the outside look because I already know the "Mental Fat" is slowly going away and with my muscle brain getting stronger, I know anything I set my mind to, I have the strength to see it through.

So for Tough Love....yup, you said it best.

In which I'll add...  Tough LOVE....if YOU are not going to love yourself the Toughest, who do you think will hate yourself the most?  Kill the hate find the Love.

Rock ON!!   ~Marqui D. C1W7D47

• I am going to print it and keep it in my desk

Loving Regards,

Divya S Selvan

• I think thats great... it will really keep you motivated!!!!!

LIFE IS ONLY 10% WHAT HAPPENS TO YOU AND 90% HOW YOU REACT TO IT