Concerns about overtraining

• I am active and lift weights and do cardio five days a week right now.  I really want to start this program but am concerned about my softball schedule.  I play in a very competitive softball league every Thursday night plus I play one to two tournaments a month on the weekends.  Softball is taxing, lots of running, twisting etc.  How do I determine if I am getting adequate cardio with softball and an elliptical machine?  The weight lifting portion of BFL would not be a problem for me since I don't play on Mondays, Wednesdays or Fridays.  The only concern I would have would be doing legs either on a day before a game or a day after which would be Wednesdays or Fridays.   I fear my play would suffer as a result of tired legs or my lifting would suffer as a result of the game.  Any input or anyone else with a similar dilemma?  Right now I do back and legs on Mondays (giving me three days to recover my legs before my game on Thursday), elliptical for 20 minutes at high intensity on Tuesdays, shoulders and triceps on Wednesdays, chest and biceps on Thursdays with softball for cardio at night . Then I rest completely on Fridays.  Weekends are also for rest or I play tournaments where I can literally play 6 games in one day and be exhausted.  I'm not happy with the progress or lack thereof with my current routine; still have a spare tire etc.  I am a 38 year old male with a clean diet.  Input ? 

• This is just my opinion...my idea of overtraining is where you work your legs to the point of actually tearing the little muscle fibres. (that is what we want to do with BFL LBWO's). I am not certain, you would get that affect from sprinting around on the bases. I did challenge one on my stationary bike for cardio and pushed myself till my legs screamed (ie tore up) each cardio, then the next day I did LBWO and tore them up again. I didnt know that I was hindering my progress by working my legs that hard so often.

I think you should be able to enjoy BFL and softball without hurting progress especially when you are still able to do strength days.

Summer is coming and ballgames etc. I would think this post will be one of many to come as people want to continue with what they love AND reap BFL benefits. Good luck with your progress.

I play tennis the odd day, and dont feel I am hurting my progress at all....but I am no Serina Williams either! LOL

Maybe I should add too that it might be a good idea to choose excercises for abs and shoulders that DO NOT mimic ball throws etc.

• Hi Softball guy

Since you dont want to give up your softball and you also said you had a spare tire but arent massively out of shape so I would say to compensate all that cardio have ane extra portion of carbs with the for 3 meals a day

example

m1.2 carb,1 protein

m2 2 carb ,1 protein

m3 2 carb,1 protein

m4 1 carb,1 protein

m5 1 carb, 1 protein

m6 1 carb, 1 protein

Regarding your legs, I would try and risk doing the weights by the book, or softball may suffer initailly but I would say you would get used to it after a while

• "I am not happy with my progress - I still have a spare tire"

If you haven't read the BFL book, I suggest you do so with an open mind.  It will explain a lot of concerns you have.  BFL should add to your life and never make any part of it suffer.  If you truly feel that way, then yes your softball game could suffer, it might be best to put this off until after softball season is done.

Or you can do a 2 week dry run and see how BFL can fit into your lifestyle.  If it can, then you can start an official challenge.

But BFL is more than just the workouts, it's more of eating properly.

I know this program works once you commit to it and follow it the way it was designed to work.

Good luck on whatever decision you decide to do

~Marqui D. C1W7D46

• In my humble opinion, you should read the book and start the program as written.  Only after you've done a couple of weeks as is will you know for sure where you will be lacking both nutritionally and rest wise.  I suspect that your softball playing will only get better after you begin BFL.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Softball Guy, Here is my 2 cents. First a little background on me, in Sept 2009 I started BFL. Before I started BFL I was playing racquetball 3-4 times a week in a pretty competitive group. I found that BFL did not interfere with my racquetball playing and vice a versa. In Jan 2010 I started my second challenge which finished in early April. Now I know what you are thinking " What does this have to do with softball?". I am 48 years old and I play in an over 40 baseball league. We play real baseball with major league rules. I am a pitcher and still throw in the low 70's. For the baseball season April through August I will be doing a modified version of BFL for the reasons you mentioned. I cannot pitch and throw 100 + pitches and then do UBWO.This past week I did UBWO on wed after pitching Sunday and my strength was def down in my shoulder. I can however do the legs. LBWO is not a problem. I would suggest that if you really want to follow BFL as written, maybe you would consider starting BFL during the off season,assuming you do not live in a warm climate and they have off seasons. Let your body be your guide. I can promise you that if you do follow BFL for the 12 weeks you will see results.  

"I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today"

• Good input from all.  Still deciding whether to go for it or wait for my off season which is from November to January.  Will let everyone know.  

• Shoulder Problems–Dealing with Them, and Avoiding Them

by: Michael Harris  6/26/2007

In a body for life challenge, nagging injuries often occur, especially in previously untrained individuals. Most are overcome, but the one that can take you right out of business, the most common of them all, is the shoulder injury.

Shoulder problems come from two sources, specific injuries and overuse. The older you are, the more susceptible you are to them, especially the overuse. The problems almost always involve both tendons and muscles, and sometimes ligaments as well. A couple of exercises tend to be responsible for most shoulder problems; they are the overhead or military press, and the bench press. The overhead or military press causes a condition to occur called impingement. Shoulders are complex structures, with several supporting cast muscles that help with the rotation and stabilization of the arm. Essentially, in a nutshell, the overhead press causes problems because it does something with the arms that they just are not designed to do. Hoisting a heavy weight over the head, with the elbows out to the side, affords an opportunity for the rotator cuff tendon to become pinched by the bony structures of the acromion, especially in some individuals. The pinch occurs once the upper arms reaches a parallel to the floor position ( in a standing individual) and worsens as the arms goes on upward. That can cause a wear and tear injury that can ultimately result in surgery if it progresses far enough. The best avoidance mechanism is, if you do shoulder presses, simply press up part way, not all the way up. If you do them slowly, and go up to the point that the elbow does not rise above the shoulder joint height, you should be all right, and you will still be developing the deltoid muscles. If you do lateral raises, do them only up to about 75 degrees, again doing them slowly and with weights light enough that you’re using good form.

The bench press exercise has also been responsible for lots of shoulder problems. Since the ascendency of the bench press as king of all upper body exercises, shoulder problems have grown exponentially among bodybuilders, and orthopedic surgeons are driving much nicer cars as a result! Too much weight and too much range of motion with the arms locked into a barbell can cause some severe stresses to shoulder joints. Dumbbells can be lifted in a way that does not stress the joint capsule like a barbell press does. Also, the barbell press is almost a rite of passage with some guys, and they get so strong in the frontal regions that it causes a muscular imbalance with the upper back muscles. The solution for that situation is to simply develop the back muscles with the same intensity as you do the chest, and it should work out nicely.

Want to learn more? Go to google and put in "bodybuilding bench press shoulder injuries" and "shoulder impingement syndrome" as your two different search directions and you’ll find literally hundreds of articles on these. The key for you is to AVOID such a problem. I’ve had four shoulder surgeries, and I think I can say with some authority that you’ll be lots better off you work smarter than I did!