Can I?

• I've been following BFL on and off for probably ten or more years, and whatever diversion I take (bootcamps, work-outs, diets etc - all of which are ultimately unsuccessful) I always keep coming back to this inspiring, common-sense and motivating approach and challenge - and just love reading all the wonderfully supportive posts and inspiring stories on here.

But I've never found the courage to commit. I don't know what the real barrier is. Fear of failure maybe, resistance to change, certainly (including giving up my my evening cocktail), lots of external excuses (busy, anxious - all that stuff).... but I feel like I'm finally on the brink.

I'd much appreciate some good hard nudges to take me over the edge! I'm thinking of starting on the 15th of this month - Sunday, but frankly am more than a little nervous.

Any advice from people who've been in this kind of mental place before, would be very welcome! 

• Hi Janann - my advice is to stop thinking about starting and commit. Decide that this is what you are going to do for just twelve weeks. That's just 84 days, and 12 are free!

Get a blank calendar and circle the first and last days. Cross off each free day. On the other days, write in the type of workout for the day - cardio, upper body or lower body.

Make sure you have plenty of BFL friendly food on hand, and if it is possible in your household, get rid of whatever temptations are around. Chicken breast, ground turkey, other lean meats, whole grains and tons of fresh fruits and veggies. Protein shakes or powder. I don't recommend them for daily use, but a few protein bars tucked away in your purse, briefcase and glove box for emergency.

It is estimated that only 5% of people who start BFL finish the challenge. Yes, it's tough (hence the name: challenge) but I was shocked the first time I heard that statistic. Decide that you want to be one of the elite 5% who finish.

Your challenge may not be perfect. Try to do your best and not slip into a "just this once" mindset, but if it does happen, just pick yourself up and move right along. Penance is not necessary.

We all know you can do this; it's up to you to decide whether it's worth the sacrifice.

Subtracting free days, it's really just a 72 day commitment. When all is said and done, what have you got to lose other than a few pounds of fat?

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• Janann-

Yes you can.  Make up your mind that it's time to change.  The first thing I did was to start a journal.  The first page I listed all my goals for beginning body for life.  The next page I listed all of the reasons that I needed to change.  These two pages have helped me stay the course.  I have gone back to them many times.  

Also, prepare and then start.  Take it one day at a time. Use this forum for support and information.  

Your evening cocktail will not have the same appeal once you begin this journey. You will be focused on preparing meals, eating and getting enough water.  You will push your body which will require lots of quality rest.   And stress relief happens in the gym.  

I am on day 61 and I can say this has been one of the best decisions that I have ever made.  Not only is my body being transformed but my mind has also transformed.  I am living am action oriented life now.   I am an athlete - when 61 days ago I was sitting on the couch.

Start now- you will not regret it.

• Thank you both for thoughtful and enouraging replies. If I only took  fraction of my "thinking time" and turned into "doing time" I'd be a dynamo! The tips on getting started have helped me break it down into some actions I can take - so today and tomorrow is calendar, book and food-buying, and Sunday I start!

• I suspect maybe it's fear of success more than failure.  When you succeed you must then "own" that success living the lifestyle.  That in itself is quite challenging.    

It took me a long time to finally realize that it's ok to be successful and it's ok to be consistent and it's ok to take care of myself.  

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Michelle, your achievements speak for themselves!  Extraordinary. Thanks for taking the time out to share a few words. I'm in my mid-fifties and definitely want to shed some of the kind of "defeatism" I seem to have picked up along the way, together with a few of those pounds! Going to be one of the 5%-ers saralynn mentioned! I did a "trial" HIT today, was all over the place, but one step at a time.

• yep you nailed it -journaling is a great tool to keep you focused and your mind on the task at hand. There are basically two days involved ,,,today and tomorrow. I did my first challenge without missing a day...that was my goal..the results came from the commitment. unfortunately after many unrelated injuries I have slipped back to my old weight of 240. I am 6 foot and was 190! so now I have it all to do again. Started today by jounaling and creating my BFL account. In it to win it!

• Hi there notaloser (and of course you're not!). Congratulations on tackling the first challenge so successfully and the "today/tomorrow" perspective is great advice. I've just linked up with the "back-to-back" group who officially start (again) on the 24th Oct. I'm going to start my regime on Sunday as originally planned, but am going to link my goals to that of this group. BTW being 6 foot tall must be just amazing. What a great view of the world!

• I am planning on starting Monday Oct. 17th 2011.  It seemed like the right thing to do.  I happened to stumble upon Body For Life the book today while out shopping and I think this is a simple method that I can stick to!  Let's start together!

• I am also planning on starting Monday 17 Oct. I completed my first challenge before the summer and I managed to completely transform myself during those 12 weeks so I know first hand that this works. And boy does it make you feel amazing. I barely lost any weight on the scale but I was a completely different person. I say "was" because after the summer I moved and while adjusting to my new surroundings have competely neglected myself and the BfL lifestyle I had come to so much adore. So I found myself getting deeper and deeper into depression, feeling like a complete failure for allowing myself to go back to square one after all that hard work. But I'm tired of feeling sorry for myself now, it's time to let go of my failure and focus on my future success.

Anyway the only thing that got me going during my first challenge is the wonderful support I got from the online community of BfL. We motivated, encouraged and supported each other through the best and the toughest times. So to answer your questions of "can i" I would say "if you have support from people who are doing the same thing as you, you can do A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G!".

I will start an "October beginners" forum. Please come and join it so we can see each other through this wonderful life changing journey!

• Hello, Racquel and ShapeUp  I'm going to begin a pre-quel program (goals, meal planning, testing the routines) and officially kick-off on the 24th Oct when the Back-to-Back group officially starts (even though this is my first challenge, they kindly invited me to join )  but I'd welcome connecting with "October Beginners too". The more shared support (and for me, accountability) the better!

ShapeUp so great to hear that you succeeded once, and that you loved the lifestyle. Very encouraging. I'm keen to find that "brain switch" - when trepidation turns into anticipation, and anticipation into excitement!

Look forward to meeting everyone again online.

• Janann - Hi.  I'm part of the original Back-2-Backs.  It will be fun to have you there with us.  I can tell you BFL became a routine for me very quickly, mostly the workouts, and they are now a strict habit.  I still struggle with eating six times a day, and I think that's why I didn't see the extreme results others see.  I'm working on that and it is a goal of mine for the next challenge with the Back-2-Backs.  We have one more week to go with our current challenge, so I'm using this last week, the twelfth week, to practice getting the eating thing under control.

Regarding your fear of failure, if that's what it is, keep in mind that failing is how many successful people learned how to succeed.  BFL is great for learning how to succeed as you follow along and progress, hence the Back-2-Backs.  Those of us who are continuing on didn't get the results we wanted, so we keep going until we do.  Cheatday and Louis, I'm sure, and I will tell you we didn't fail, though; in fact, I see this first challenge as a huge success.  I know what I have to do to make the next challenge even better, as long as I can make the necessary adjustments.

Looking forward to getting to know you.  See you in the Back-2-Backs.