Starting Sunday June 26th

• Hello Everyone!

This is my 1st post here and I wanted to share that I'm going to be starting the 12 week challenge on Sunday June 26th. I'm active duty Air Force and just had my second child 6 weeks ago. So, I will be starting about 7 weeks postpartum and the day before my 1st day back to work off maternity leave.

I've been trying my best to read all that I can, but honestly, it seems the guidelines are a bit vague, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. For my EAS products, I plan on using the Myloplex bars and RTD shakes for the time being and will be doing my workouts at the gym on base.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to the challenge!

Challenge 1: June 26, 2011

• Hi Erin and Everyone,

I plan on starting Monday, June 27th.  I am a woman in my late 40s. In preparation, I've been studying up on the challenge.  I purchased the daily journal after reading all the positive reviews on Amazon.com.  It just arrived today.  I've been "practicing" the nutrition portion of the program for about a week to see if it's something I think I can stick with.  I've got to tell you, I already feel better just modifying my food and nutrition, and it has not been difficult at all.  I'm also using RTD and Myloplex bars, one each per day. I been telling people that I'm going to start.  A friend is coming over on the 26th to take my before pictures.  I'm excited, and a little nervous, to get going but mentally ready.

It would be great to have a start group to communicate with.  So, here's an invitation to others to join us in starting on the 27th!

• Hello,

I will be starting BFL the same day as you all.  I have the books and am ready to go.  If you're like me you haven't worked out recently.  The first day lifting weights will be tough to bounce back from and could set you back right away.  I'm going to have a hard workout one day this week to head that off.  I'm trying to lose weight, not worried about muscle at this point.  I turn 44 on the 25th and I've decided I need to make some serious changes.  I've put on 50 pounds in 5 years and want to get half of that off over the next twelve weeks.  I hope that's a realistic goal.  I'll be using the shakes.  I've had them before and they're pretty good.  I'd be happy yo be in your group.

• So, it looks like both of you have books....Do the books go into greater detail than the websites? I see there are several BFL books on Amazon. Which ones would you recommend?

• Hello everyone! I am also starting the challenge on Monday 27th June... I have tried this a few time before over the past 6 - 7 years, but never stick to it! I am a self-employed / stay at home mum, who bakes cakes for a living (which doesn't help my diet! haha)

I have a beautiful 2 year old daughter, and a wonderful husband, but after always putting myseld last, I now feel like i need to do something just for me...

I am hoping to stick it out this time, and see some great results in the coming weeks. It would be great to have some people in the same scenario to talk to and share updates with, so hopefully we can help each other.

Have a great day everyone! :-)

• Hi everyone!  35 Years old and been battling my excessive fat my whole life.  I thought I had a great handle on it (I've lost 39 since new year's), but was sick most of that time and I am really noticing how much muscle I lost - therefore noticing all the excess fat even more!!!!

Despite doing strength training, yoga and even jogging a bit, I am not gaining muscle over the past few months as I would like to see after all that effort.  So I am starting BFL for the 2nd time.  First time was about 7 years ago.  I enjoyed it, the structure of it, knowing if I followed it, I would DEFINITELY see results pretty quickly too!

Hoping to really tone up, gaining muscle and strength and losing fat!  Still have about 40+ pounds to lose.  No idea what I can accomplish in 12 weeks, but aiming for a weight loss of 12 pounds because I know I gain muscle with this program.  :)

Great to join this group!  We can do it!!!!

Julie

Challenge 1, June 26, 2011

• Hi Erin,

I have had the BFL book "Body For Life" for years.  It's from 1999, but really motivating, easy to read, and great pictures of the exercises.  The nutrition part is spelled out very clearly too.  No idea what has come out since then.  I think I'll stick to my old copy though.

• Hi Erin and All,

I checked out all the BFL books at the library: BFL, Eating for Life (cookbook), BFL Champions, BFL for Women.  I think that's all of them.  Bill Phillips also has another book out that looks like an inspriational book.  I have not read that one.  The only one I couldn't get at the library was the Journal. After reading all of them, I ended up buying BFL (1999 version), Eating for Life (cookbook), and the Journal which is spiral bound but it is still a large book.  I expecially wanted the Journal, so that I could write and track in it each day, and the cookbook.  The recipes are super simple.  I like visually seeing the pictures of foods and portions.  In my opinion it is all basically the same info as is available online.  

• Thanks for the book tips! I bought the BFL book off Amazon and it should be here Friday and I'm going to pick up the eating for life book at the library. I think for the journal, I'm going to use the free resources on the website.

So, it looks like some of us will be starting Sunday and others on Monday. I chose Sunday b/c I wanted Saturday to be my free day :)

• I had to put some thought in to which day I thought would be my best free day.  In the past I've always started a diet on Monday.  Every Monday!  I don't regard BFL as a diet though.  In reading the BFL book, it's referred to as the Program.  I decide that's what I'm going to call it when I talk about it, not my diet.  Anyway, I really want to do the menu planning, and complete the workbook planning.  I thought Sunday would be the best planning and shopping day for me.  

As I mentioned earlier, I've been practicing the eating portion of the Program.  I've not been perfect but for the most part it has been pretty painless, and I feel great.  Along with that, I have decided to limit alcohol consumption to only social occasions outside my home.  That has been an adjustment.  No more glasses of wine at the end of the work day.  I've switched to flavored sparkling water, sometimes with a splash of crystal lite...in a wine glass, of course:-)

• Yes, thanks for the book info Deda!  I think I will go out & buy the Eating for Life book today.  I'm one who needs pictures too.  I'm not a great cook, nor do I really enjoy it, but hopefully the pics will inspire me!

Erin, great job on getting a little head start.  Your body is probably thanking you, and by having more energy, it's probably liking the nutrition.... since I know I'm starting on Sunday (I also want Saturday as my free day!), I've been eating junk all week so far.  :(  I'll have my normal very healthy stuff all morning, then by the afternoon I cave.  It's completely psychological, my normal way of thinking before starting a new 'plan'.  I just hope I don't do too much damage this week!  haha

How are you all going to do the strength training?  Gym or home?  I have a gym membership but am really nervous about doing the program there infront of all the guys there!!  I'm looking into how much it will cost for some free weights for at home.  I've always wanted them anyway and do a lot of strength training at home... but I've already outgrown my 15 pound weights.

Anyone's spouse also going to do this with you?  It would be soooo much more motivation if my husband would do this with me, helping each other.  He's not good at regular visits to the gym or working out.

Julie

• I plan on doing my strength training at the gym on base. Don't be nervous working out at your gym! Most everyone there is focused on what they are doing and could care less about what your doing. Don't be afraid to ask for help on how to use the machines from the employees there. As for free weights at home, check out craigslist or play it again sports for a cheap used set.

My hubby will sorta be doing it with me. He won't be doing the challenge, but will be doing the eating part, since I cook. But, he supports me 100% and will make sure I stay on track.

• Hi Julie,

I agree with Erin, don't worry about going to the gym and figuring stuff out.  You'll only be new the first time.  Everyone is doing their own thing anyway.  Sure, people look around and check out what others are doing.  You'll be doing that too.  I wear a baseball cap and earphones at the gym.  Nobody says boo or gets in my way.  People at the gym are generally very nice.  They just look serious because they're in their own little world just like me.  Remember, it's all about you!  Go for it!  

I already have a gym membership plus there's a small gym in the office building I work in, so that won't be a problem. I'm going to the gym this weekend to establish all my starting weights and equipment so that I can do it at a slower time.  I'm planning to pick a set if exercises from the list and stick with the same ones for a month, then change them up.  I won't be working out first thing in the morning on an empty stomach though as recommended.  I will exercise at 5:30 PM, M-F and Sat AM.  I read somewhere that if you're not doing the AM workout, at least try not to eat 2-3 hours before a workout so that your body will use more fat as fuel rather than the last meal you ate.  That's my plan.  I don't have kids or a husband at home so I have no distractions, no excuses.  I've been telling people in my life what I'm doing, and have asked them to help keep me on track and accountable.

• One of the biggest things that I will have a problem with is only doing 20 min. of cardio. I plan on running twice a week and doing something like spin class/elliptical for the third day. Each one of those will be about 45min-1hr. Is there any harm to doing more exercise?

• Erin,

Hope I don't sound like a know it all.  I've just been reading everything I can get my hands on about the Program. What I read about the cardio is that it's OK to add 10-15 mins on either or both ends of your 20 min cardio as more of a warm up/cool down lower intensity but keep the prescribed 20 mins at the BFL high intensity.

I plan to take a spin class 1 or 2 days a week alternating with the stepmill, stairmaster, and elipitcal.  I cycle outside with a group on Sunday AM (weather permitting), which is my free day.  I will continue that.  I consider it a recreational activity rather than intentional intense exercise.