Support from family and friends

• Hi all,

I'm C1W4D5 and I had a bit of a breakthrough yesterday.  Over the past few weeks I have been turning down dinner invitations from my sister and reminding her how I am eating now.  Yesterday she called me to ask if I wanted to go out to eat and before she finished her first sentence, she reminded herself and withdrew the invite.  She got it!

At first I believed this to be a case of "misery loves company" as she is obese.  After yesterday I think that she is respectful of my choices.  I really want to inspire her to be healthier.

• I'm in the same boat.  My brother and his significant other are out of shape and eat horribly.  During the program, they always wanted me to come over for beer and wings, I refused, they kind of chuckled and said, "c'mon man you only live once."

Now that I have finished and they have seen my results, they are both starting the program.  Inspiration through results via dedication and commitment is sometimes the way it works.

• I take a slightly different approach. I absolutely love to eat out with friends or family. They watch me focus on the menu and make incredible food choices and special order without all the ooey gooey stuff. Whether they comment favorably or not, I know that I am setting an example for them. That and my physical transformation is hopefully enough to set the standard that they will seek out help when they are ready.

Keep the faith!

Faithful Renee :0)

• Yep Renee, that is my eventual goal. I am in an untrustworthy phase right now with regard to how restaurants will prepare my food.  I will eventually transition to more "lesser evils" choices in mainstream restaurants.  For now I am happy with my need for control approach.  Hey I even baked my own whole wheat wraps for my sandwiches this week.  I know exactly what went in them.  It was fun going to the grocer and getting brown rice and whole wheat flour in bulk to try new things.  

• James, I love the fact you baked your own whole wheat wraps!

That is awesome.

I watch a lot of cooking shows, and so ended up shopping and preparing some very tasty dishes.

I am more the griller, and grill meats almost every day for 5th meal of the day.

I have recently incorporated a Vietnamese noodle bowl into the meal plan. Slightly modified by adding more thin sliced grilled pork, to increase protein to noodle/carb ratio, and both portioned correctly. There is cilantro or mint leaves in it, with, shredded carrot, fish sauce, peanuts, bean sprouts, cabbage or lettuce. Omitted the sliced spring roll over the top.

Very tasty. Literally starving 3 hours later because the metabolism just mows through that stuff.

The more we do in the kitchen, the fresher, and better for us, it is going to be.

You, rock - James!

"What you put in, is what you are going to get back."

- Terry

• Terry,  That sounds great.  I am exploring a healthier way to prepare Pad Thai.  Will probably be more of a free day meal unless I can be super confident about the Protein/Carb/Fat balance.  Stopping at Asian market on my way back from the gym to check out the nutrition facts in the rice noodles.  I might have to substitute Whole Wheat noodles instead and I know how to make them from scratch.

• I've learned over the length of my journey that the most powerful tool you can have it "sticktoitness".  If you stick to your guns, your results will convince others to make changes, but somedays it can be really trying.  After a solid year of my coworkers watching me eat egg whites, oats, healthy lunch and afternoon meals and making the effort day in and day out, they started asking me what the best way for them to get started is.  

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• James- So proud of you for knowing when to decline invites from friends because you know you are not ready to "be there" yet. It is very hard- I'm still struggling with it myself. It's difficult when my mom invites my family and I  over for dinner and we have to say yes because we hardly ever see them, a good pep talk is always stregthening.

I have turned my friends down for dinner outings so much, they just gave up and don't even ask anymore. I have turned into a social hermit....but once they see me again... they'll understand why  :)  

Your doing great!!

Stacy Lynn

• James,

I'm new to this program so I can't really talk from experience at how well it works, but I too wanted to say kudos to you for being strong enough to stick to your convictions. If your sister falls under the category of misery loves company, I truly hope that your strength and willpower to be successful with this program will possibly encourage your sister to follow in your footsteps instead of being "miserable" as so many of us who are overweight/obese truly are. Good luck and take care! --Jamey

• Please share more of your recipes! this sounds sinfully delicious! yet bfl practical.

hook us up......you may end up with a BFL Food Network following...lol!

Squats