Weight Training

• I haven't exactly been following the program exactly the way it's shown.  On weight lifting days I do more than the program says to do.  For upperbody days, instead of doing 6 sets for chest and back with the one superset I do 12 sets for chest and back, so what I do is just select another 2 exercises after the first two and do 6 sets with one super. I do follow the 12, 10,8, 6, 12, super 12 pattern.  On legs, abs, and calfs day I do 4 exersices for all of the muscle groups- 4 for hamstrings, 4 for quads, 4 for abs, and 4 for calfs.  The reason I do this is because I just came off a mass building program and feel I need to do more to maintain or build muscle.  Am I going about this wrong and possibly doing way to much?  Could being on a calorie deficit and lifting this much cause me to lose muscle?  Should I just do the program exactly the way it's supposed to be done?

Thanks

• I think if you are doing BFL, you should do it exactly as outlined and then you can evaluate later.  My personal opinion, is yes, you are definately doing too much.  The idea is to make the most of your time at the gym.  If you are doubling sets, you are there for much longer than you need to be.  You should make the pyramid so hard that you feel you are unable to continue to lift more.  If you feel you can double the sets, you probably should step up on the weights, and try doing your reps very slow and controlled and see how you do.  

Too many people try to change what has already worked for so many.

I say follow it to the letter.  Once you finish your 1st challenge, you can find the areas that you need to customize for yourself.

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• I agree with BDMom. Anytime I tried to 'tweak' the program I get less results. As they like to say if it aint broke why fix it.