2nd DAY.....AND READY TO QUIT

• I am an alcoholic and the way I quit drinking is so simple that smart people usually DON'T GET IT.

I understand your craving for the junk your drug of choice. I can offer one idea and it goes like this:

tomorrow morning when your brushing your teeth make a promise to yourself that JUST FOR TODAY I WILL NOT EAT ANY JUNK. The simplicity is that the promise your are making to YOURSELF is only for today. Tomorrow may not come so just for today I WILL NOT DRINK. I've been sober since 11/4/88 and I make that promise to myself every day of my life to this point. It's easy....I just won't drink TODAY. OrI JUST WON'T EAT JUNK TODAY.

• POPPI: That is great advice!!

fit4life "The dream must be bigger than the pain"

• Nathan,

I was recently watching a documentary on heroin and how it affects the brain once it is metabolized by the human body.  It is so addicting because it literally re-wires the human brain, causing the individual to have cravings on all levels, i.e., physical, mental, emotional, etc...

However, the show did make one point which I found interesting: Sugar, to the human body, is just as addicting.  If you were drinking six cans of soda / day (I'm guessing for a relatively extended period of time), your body got used to taking in all that sugar (in high fructose) corn syrup.  My mother, who diets frequently, read that when an individual can abstain from sugar for 72 hours, they will really see the cravings decrease.

I'm not a sugar junky by any stretch of the imagination, but I like a cold soda every now and again.  But doing BFL, I don't even want to look at that stuff.  When you're eating right and working it -- you drink something like a soda and it feels like someone threw a wrench into a well oiled machine. 

Give it a few days and see if the sugar cravings decrease.  Best of luck and keep working hard!

• SO DID YOU QUIT???