"Adapting" to BFL from Other Exercise Routines - Advice

• Hello everyone!

I've been "lurking" around here for a bit doing some research on the program overall.  I've gotta say what you all are doing/accomplishing is very impressive!  Keep up the great work!

For some of the "BFL Experts" out there, I hope you don't mind if I have a couple of questions for you:

1.)  I've been exercising my own way for quite a while now, and I've just recently been trying to adapt to the BFL program, including the meal plan (I love the 6 meals every 2-3 hours!).  

Here is a sample plan of what I USED to do:

SUNDAY/TUESDAY/THURSDAY  

- Lower Body:  Weights; 8-to-9 miles Running (including HIIT); Stretching = Approximately 1 Hour, 15 Minutes

MONDAY/WEDNESDAY/FRIDAY  

- Upper Body/Abdominals:  Weights; Matted Abdominal Exercises; Stretching = Approximately 1 Hour, 10 Minutes

SATURDAY

- Rest Day

Here is my modified plan:

SUNDAY

- Cardio:  Approximately 10-15 minutes Running; 40-45 minutes HIIT; 10-15 minutes Running; Stretching = Approximately 1 Hour

MONDAY

- Upper Body:  Weights; Stretching = Approximately 1 Hour

TUESDAY

- Cardio:  Approximately 10-15 minutes Running; 40-45 minutes HIIT; 10-15 minutes Running; Stretching = Approximately 1 Hour

WEDNESDAY

- Lower Body/Abdominals:  Weights; Matted Abdominal Exercises; Stretching = Approximately 1 Hour

THURSDAY

FRIDAY

- Upper Body:  Weights; Stretching = Approximately 1 Hour

SATURDAY

- Rest Day

I would definitely appreciate any feedback/suggestions/advice about my plan.  I'm basically trying to cut back a bit time-wise, follow the BFL plan, and not disrupt any progress that I've already made.  

2.)  For post-exercise meals, it is still WITHIN 30 minutes for Upper Body/Abdominals/Lower Body (weight training), and 1 hour for cardio right?  Does that time include post-exercise stretching?

Thank you all in advance for your time.  Enjoy the rest of your weekend, and again, best of luck to you on your future endeavors!

~Mike S.

• MIke,

With BFL exercises including cardio the workout time total for the entire week turns out to be about 3 hours.  

I'm not sure what your goals is but If you want to build muscle then you'll want to only do the 20 minute HIIT cardio.  Doing too much cardio robs your body of the muscle you are trying to build up.  You want the muscle because that is the major deal with it comes to buring fat and getting muscular.

I'm not sure exactly what exercises your weight days include but you can get the guidelines on what areas to work from the progress sheets found at this link http://bodyforlife.com/downloads/bfl_charts.pdf.

You are correct on your second question regarding when to eat after workouts.  I woudn't include stretching when calculating your workout time.

Hope this helps.

Love you some you...PERSEVERE!

• Also, if you haven't already, you'll want to read the book.  You can find it at Amazon.com or a library.

Love you some you...PERSEVERE!

• Sharon,

You definitely helped A LOT!  Thank you!

So basically, I need to cut back on my cardio haha I'm just afraid that all of the progress I've made over the years on my old routine is going to disappear if I cut back.  I'm sure it won't, but it's something that I have to adapt to.

Also, with the stretching, say I get done with cardio at 2:00PM, and I stretch until 2:10PM.  I would eat around 3:00PM right (not counting the stretching)?  Just making sure!  

Thanks again - keep up the GREAT work! :D

~Mike