Calculating Body Fat Weight and Muscle Weight?

• I see that many of the success stories report "... lost X pounds of fat" and "...gained X pounds of muscle."

How does one caluclate this?

"The limits you are living with right now, in every aspect of your existence, have been created by your mind. They are perceptions. And they are holding you back. You are capable of far more than you think you are." -Bill Phillips

• Good question. I was wondering that myself.

• It is based on percentage of body fat.  Example:

If you get your fat body fat done and you are 33% body fat (I'll use my starting stats, ugh!):

Weight: 162 lbs

Body fat: 33%

162 x .33= 53.46lbs of fat

162-53.46 (fat lbs) = 108.54 lbs of lean tissue.....so when I reach 18% body fat I will have

Guessing I'll weigh 135lbs it would be

135 x .18 = 24.3 lbs of fat and

135  - 24.3 = 110.7 lbs of lean tissue

Julia

• Thank you, Julia! I thought it was probably something along those lines, but I wasn't sure how we accounted for bones, tendons, etc... in all of that. :)  Guess we ignore them?

I appreciate your help more than you know!

~K

"The limits you are living with right now, in every aspect of your existence, have been created by your mind. They are perceptions. And they are holding you back. You are capable of far more than you think you are." -Bill Phillips

• Kimmie everything is considered "lean mass" except for body fat.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Lean tissue would be everything else.  Given that I don't think my organs, tendons, bones, etc. would gain weight, the lean mass difference of 2.16lbs, I would hope, would be muscle tissue!  Although I suppose bone density could increase but that is a good thing too!

Julia

• Brilliant!  Thank you for clearing that up.  In all the years and through all the information I've read, and I promise you I have read just about EVERYTHING regarding fitness and diet, I have never seen this explained so well.  

Michele

• Awesome!!! Got measured a couple days ago. I already lost 17 pnds before measured. Am at 25% fat ratio w/ put me at 160 pnds lean mass.

Factor back in10 to 12% percent fat put me at my desired goal of around 190 to 195 pnds.

I am at 2 weeks BFL, and 5th day challenge.

"What you put in, is what you are going to get back."

- Terry