Realistic Goals

• Hello Everyone! My name is Jamey and I am new here and to the BFL program. I started on March 29th and have been doing fairly well. I've tried exercising and eating "right" in the past and have always gotten discouraged by not seeing results fast enough. I think things will be different though with BFL though because I love the organization and accountability this program includes and definitely the focusing on the positive is an added bonus. I'm a little worried my overall goals may be off though. I would like to lose at least 25 lbs of fat in the first 12 week program I complete. However, I do not want to lose the weight too fast and be left with saggy skin. I heard that losing 3lbs every two weeks is the best recommendation but that would only put me at losing around 18lbs in the 12 week program...what are your suggestions? Thanks in advance for any responses!

• Hi Jamey!  Welcome to an awesome program!

I'm not an expert by any means, but I can tell you what I've learned by listening to the great people on this site through my first challenge ( I'm on #2)!

The advice I took to heart about my expectations was to first READ THE BOOK!  The info there can give you the best idea of what to expect.  Also, it is a good idea to look through the before and after pictures of those who have been successful, find a before that you can relate to and see what they accomplished during their challenge.  If they can do it so can you!  

Now with that in mind you must also consider, your age, beginning weight, and level of committment.  We're all different, but I truly believe that BFL will work for anyone who puts forth the effort!

Stay connected here.  I'm sure others will chime in and give you some great advice!   Hope that helps!!

KellynCA

Failure is not an option!

• Bill Phillips believed that "most people can lose up to 25 pounds of body fat in 12 weeks, if that's the goal."

If you lose more than 2 pounds per week you might be losing muscle tissue. That will slow down your metabolism.

It is rare for someone to lose more than 25 pounds of body WEIGHT, not body FAT, without losing muscle but it is not impossible.

The human body can fluctuate 5-10 pounds from water and waste on any given day.

You might also check with your physician to know what is a healthy goal for you.

--- Kitty

• Hey Jamey, I'm new also in fact we have the same goal, to lose 25 lbs of body fat in 12 weeks, and the same start date March 29th. I did read the book and I would suggest you do the same if you haven't already. My plan is to stick to the instructions in the book, and see where my body ends up in 12 weeks.

Come here often there is a lot of great advice and support.

Tisha :-) “Running won't kill you, you'll pass out first!"

• For the new folks reading this thread.  Use the scale as a reference tool once a month during your challenge.  Take all of your measurements, weigh and if you can afford to have body fat caliper testing done, do that as well.  Then put your scale away and don't bring it out until the 4 week mark.  During the first 4 weeks, you will see very little change, but trust in the process because the changes are coming.  Keep your mind focused on eating clean 6 days a week and enjoy free day but if you have binge eating issues understand that you can over do free day.  I encourage you to enjoy free day and do so guilt free, but that really doesn't mean eat a whole large pizza at one sitting.  So keep that realistic as well.

You ladies can do this, but doubt can become your worst enemy in the process.  I know it works, I've seen too many people have great success with it.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Thank you all for such great advice! I started this 12-week program knowing I have a long way to go and will probably need to complete a total of (3) 12-week programs to reach my ideal weight for my height/age. With that said, I did not do measurements or body fat calculations at the beginning for this first program. I figured the best indication overall if the program is working for me will be how my clothes fit and how I feel and then overall comparing my end photo with my beginning photo. I know this is not following the program completely to the T, but I have to add in a little of "my way" in order to be successful for myself. I do however agree that I need to get the book (I only have the journal) and need to read it. It certainly won't hurt and can only help! Thanks again for all of your support!

• Hi J-

Having a goal is great, gives you something to work towards and accomplish. You mention 25 lbs.....thats a big number. My advice is to forget the numbers. Just focus on the great health you are creating in your body. When the "numbers" aren't met its easy for people to get discouraged. Its so sad to read when people aren't getting the" results" they want as quickly as they think they should when they are so close to getting thier bodies geared up for success! It takes time to put on 25 lbs so don't be in a hurry to train your body to work it off. The magic will happen, be patient.  Don't be suprised if you gain weight in the beginning like I did. My scale went up almost 10 lbs. I'm not too concerned because I can feel the muscles I've built and know the rest will follow. If our goals take us several challenges......what better way is there to spend our time! BFL, don't forget is for LIFE. Life is good.

Squats

• Forgiveandforget,

First of all great username. You should always shoot for high goals but don’t beat yourself up if you don't reach them. One of my favorite quotes is

Shoot for the Moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Now please don't go crazy and say you want to lose 60lbs in 12 wks that will just want to make you quit.  My wife and I just finished our 12wks last week and I am now on we are on our 13th week. She wanted to lose 35 lbs in 12 wks. She managed to lose 22 lbs but our goal was never to do body for life for 12 wks and stop. We made a commitment to change our lifestyle to change our minds about eating and to continue to go forward. We enjoy our Sundays (Free day) to the max but that is because we knew we wanted a life style change and something that we can possibly do for the rest of our lives and it works. My goal was to lose 30 lbs and I lost 29.8 (boo) but that is ok because I will get them .2 scraggily pounds and then some this time around. You can do this challenge next challenge.

If you want to see what I ate for the 12wks, my workout regiment and my weight loss. You can click on my user-name it is all under my profile. You will see, I am not perfect but as bill Phillips states is not what you eat some of the times that has contributed to what you look like now but what you eat most of the time. So if you mess up that is ok. We all mess up but never ever GIVE UP on yourself

P.S. Don't watch TV on an empty stomach. Too many food commercials or better yet change the channel. <- Don't know where that advice came from but whoop there it is...

Another piece of nugget, I know money is tight now a days and most of us can't afford to buy the BFL books. I would suggest that you check them out at your local library. You get it for a month and you can read them. I suggest that everyone read the BFL books because ... I will stop right here I gotta eat but if I see if you want to know why I suggest you read the BFL books

• I was starting to get a little discouraged because in the first two weeks I was already down 4 lbs but then I went back up the full 4 lbs, but I after reading the latest replies, I now know that I need to stay positive, focus on long term goals and not pay so much attention to the scale. I am already starting to feel better and I can feel my body at least starting to make small changes, so only greater things to come...I am sure of that! I already thought about going to the library for the books and will be doing so this week definitely! Thanks BFL'rs for the support!