Starting 2-14-2011: who's with me?

• Hello, All!

I'm beginning my second challenge Monday, Feb 14, 2011. This time I think that I need to work harder to follow the exercise regime and focus less on free days :). I felt marvelous during my last challenge, but I didn't exactly achieve the results I wanted because I followed half-BFL, half-katiebug workouts.

I'm ready! Who's with me?

-katiebug

"The joy of life is the fruit of discipline" -S. Randall

• Hey Katie! Free days? Do we get those? ;) I'd love to team up for support, especially since this is my first challenge and I'm still in my 1st week. Is it always this hard... oh mama??? I'm also a vegetarian and trying to get enough protein in on an average day is tough, never mind when hitting the gym. How do you do it?

I am eating 6 meals a day but find myself relying on protein shakes to get by as well as a little bit of beans or lentils or tempeh. I've been vegetarian forever but have taken the time for myself to diligently ensure I have enough nutrients. I have a feeling this is going to take some more planning than I expected but the end goal is to improve my health, my happiness, and my life so the payoff has to be worth it (or at least I hope).

I'm proud of you for being persistent to try BFL again. There is a big learning to be had through it all. Right now, I'm trying to be patient, focused, and take it one day at a time. Be well!

- Jenn

Be well,

girlwonder

• just decided today to start tomorrow, so glad to join the team, work out hard, eat clean and plan plan plan, oh and lets make sure to stretch and stay injury free

• It's been about 7 years since I did my first BFL challenge. Being a little older and feeling like I have less time for workouts I know I will need a support system. I'm with you for the challenge!  Best of luck.

mjmiles

• Jenn,

Try cottage cheese, lowfat string cheese, protein bars (watch for gelatin and sugar), protein oatmeal, veggie burgers/chik'n/ground "meat", fish and egg whites (if you dare), tofu, Kashi protien cereals (count for carb AND protein)....

Also, beans and lentils count for both a carb and a vegetable. There are usually pretty good recipes on this site. I'd love to exchange some with you if you have any, as well

Good Luck!

-Katiebug

• All,

I am starting my first BFL challenge tomorrow, 2/14. I am following this thread because I am mostly vegetarian and I am looking forward to what you all have to say.

Regards,

Ryan

• good UBW this morning, fueling my body for recovery, and plenty of rest

Hope yall had great workout and got your HITs

• ***CORRECTION*** beans and lentils count for a protein and a carb, NOT a carb and a vegetable, sorry

• Going for some upper-body WT today. Feeling fabulous. This is really going to be tough, but we can do it!! I think that the toughest time, for me, last time were weeks 5 and 8.

Beware, first timers, because the further you go, the tougher you get. If you don't have the book, GET IT!!! It answers most of the questions that you will have. Be careful not to OVER indulge on free days.

I'd love to keep a "vegetarian" and/or "Beginning 2-14-11" thread going with all of you.

Good Luck,

Katiebug

• Hi everyone,

I started BFL yesterday...doing day 2.  Major headache due to withdrawl of carbs.  I`m hoping it will be gone in a few days.

Good luck !!!

We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.  ~Luciano de Crescenzo

• Agreed katiebug! A veggie thread and newbies support would fabulous. I really look forward to you mentoring us first timers.

Free days are going to be hard not to splurge on. How tempting to work your butt off for 6 days and then have a freebie! Can you break it up into 2 meals that you eat out over the course of a weekend?

Be well,

girlwonder

• Hang in there, xmichellex! Sound like your body is going through some withdrawal. Think of how great you will feel soon enough once that crap is detoxed out of your system. Keep the momentum going...

Be well,

girlwonder

• Hey Ryan,

How did your first day go? I had a tough cardio run this morning (I hate running!). I did intervals and was grunting so loud that the only other guy in the gym left. Hopefully this gets easier and I get a little quieter ;)

Be well,

girlwonder

• I did a good job with water by walking around with a bottle in my hand (usually coffee). I did fine with the main meals. I did poorly with snacks. I am a Chief on a Coast Guard tug boat and I worked with the cook getting appropriate food in the larder.  One other crew member is doing BFL as well. We tie up at nights so I should be able to get the runs in and we have enough equipment for the strength workouts. We will be on the.water tomorrow so we will see how well it goes then. I think it will be manageable.

I appreciate the support,

Ryan

• I'd like to join this group if you don't mind. I started a few days ago. My first free day was yesterday although I still worked out and today no workout. I'm adding a little extra cardio because I do have more fat I want to burn. Tomorrow is my HIIT workout. The eating has been easy for me though because for the last four months I didn the Ideal Protein diet and virtually cut out fat and any carb other than veggies and low carb protein shakes and bars. I lost 30 pounds with that. Now looking to switch things up by joining the challenge

Thanks KC