Breakfast Before Early A.M. Lifting?

• Hello All,

I am rediscovering BFL after using it to lose considerable weight about 10 years ago.

I have just started working out and eating clean but I have a question - I lift weights early in the morning, about 8 am.  Should I eat breakfast before I leave the house?  I walk to the gym and it takes about a half hour (a good warmup).  Or should I wait until after and have a protein shake for breakfast around 9am?

The problem with not eating before lifting is running out of energy and being unable to have an intense a workout as I should.

Can anyone shed some light on the situation?

• Hi!

I am new to BFL, but not to nutrition and strength training. Yes, absolutely, have a light breakfast before training. Your body needs fuel. Compare it to your car. Woyld you embark on a long trip with the tank on "E"?

Best of luck, Karen

• JLucien,

Welcome back to BFL!

The issue of eating before working out is somewhat of a personal choice and can also, in my opinion, depend on your goals. In the BFL book, Bill Phillips gets up, has a glass of water and works out. I, like you, dont work out until 8am. However, I am up by 5am. On weight training days I have my first meal by 5:30 and my workout is at 8am. I eat my 2nd meal right after my workout. I dont eat at 5:30 on cardio days. Instead my first meal is an hour after cardio. This has worked well for me.

I would suggest trying it both ways (eating before and not eating before) and see how you feel. If I eat too close to my workouts I feel really sick. Others feel sick if they dont eat. The important thing is to listen to your body.

I hope this helps

Orrin

• I follow Bill, wake up, drink 16 ounce water, do work out, then shower get dress and then I make breakfast... like Orrin said, personal choice...

• IMHO it's more related to your fat loss goals.  

If you have considerable fat to lose, by all means try it without food.  However, if you are relatively fit already and trying to gain muscle, eat.  

It took me a while to get to the point of lifting heavy enough to create nausea because of lack of food.  But once it happened I had to make a change.  

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory