Any nursing moms out there?

• I'm on week 2, doing fine so far.  I have a 6 month old who I am still nursing.  My only problem so far is that I am starving all the time.  Does anyone have any advice on how to alter/adjust for nursing?  Should I be eating slightly larger portions?  More protein, or more carbs? Any thoughts are welcome.

• I was nursing the first time I did body for life about 7 years ago. I did have to up my portions...sometimes double the amount depending on what I was eating. I always made sure I got plenty of protein too. I must say I had really great results and got down to my ppw really easily!

Leggs

• This is a great question for your doctor. He/she will be able to tell you exactly how many more calories you should be eating to feed the baby. As I recall (and it's been a while) it's more than you would think.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• Thyoung-

Glad you asked this question! The Body-for-LIFE program was not designed to meet the needs of a *** feeding woman. It would be best to consult with your physician to make sure you meet all your nutritional and caloric needs for you and your baby.

Feel free to speak to one of our Fitness Experts if you have more questions! Our number is 1-800-297-9776 Monday- Friday 8:30 am - 5:00 pm EST.

-The BFL Team

• BFL Team,

Thanks for your response, but the term Breastfeeding is not nor should it be a politically correct concern.

Leggs

• Hi, I am a nursing mom!  I have a 10 month old and have been on the program and following it by the book for 6 weeks now.  So far so good!  I feel great and I am not too hungry and my milk supply is good.  I checked with my doctor and my lactation consultant and they both gave me the ok as long as I didn't start losing too fast.  Definitely check with your doc or LC to make sure it's a good choice for you!  

Hugs, Crystal

• leggsmomof3:

This forum always bleeps out that term even when referring to the part of chicken we are consuming.  I don't think it was intended to be political by any means.  The BFL team is committed to helping anyone on here meet their goals.  The only reason you were able to type it above is because you put the two words together; if you try to type without them being together, it would read the same as the BFL response.  Just an FYI.

Have a nice evening.

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• Thanks BDMom...I wasn't aware of that...I didn't mean to be so sensitive...

• I find it rather ironic that chicken *** gets blanked out, but people can (and unfortunately do) call one another donkey behinds and there it is.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• I am also nursing a 5 month old. Good luck to you :)

• Hi Thyoung!

I just completed my second week and like you i am a nursing mom. I have a 4.5 month old as well as a 21 month old that keeps me busy. I have been following the nutrition guidelines as instructed for the protein and carb portions but I up my veggies when I am feeling extra hungry and find this really makes a difference. If you make sure to eat all six meals and get your carb/protein ratio right then you will likely feel satisfied. I found it took a few days to get used to but I'm managing well with it now. If your stomach is growling outside of this or if you feeling short on energy then add another healthy c/p snack when you need it. I don't do protein shakes and only purchased bars as a backup for when i am in a pinch because these items leave me (personally) feeling drained and hungry. Afterall we have to make sure we have the energy we need to nourish our babies AND our bodies ;)

Just a thought i would mention - It is believed that because we store toxins that we are exposed to throughout our lives in our fat we should be careful not to lose weight too quickly. Apparently if that fat is burned too quickly then our babies may be exposed to greater amounts of these toxins via breastmilk. (other studies conclude that babies are exposed to greater amounts of these toxins while in utero). Anyhow something to think about. I personally lost 4 lbs week one and felt like i had enough to eat and lost half a pound this week.

On a side note, I loooove food, in fact, i am downright passionate about it lol, but i had to examine what hungry really was.  Before, i would eat pretty big portions and eat when i was bored or not that hungry. Now I feel my stomach start to rumble and recognize that it's time to eat and it happens like clockwork every three hours.

I am hoping to lose about 15 pounds of fat and gain as much muscle as possible...wish me luck!

All the best to you!

HOLLY

• Hey BFLers!

We have removed the term "breast" from the edit filters.  This term was never considered inappropriate to us, but rather was included in the package of terms that came with the software.  We definitely support all of the breast feeding moms out there!  However, we would like to remind anyone who is breast feeding to talk to your doctor about any nutrition and exercise program you do.

Thanks!

The BFL Team

• Yay....I can eat chicken breast again.....

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• Thanks for the replies.  I had checked with my doctor prior to beginning bfl and he approved my diet.

I have adjusted some of my portions sizes.  For instance, I tended to be very hungry in the morning, so increased my portions for breakfast and that helped a great deal.  

Holly, I also have a 21 month old in addition to the 6 month old I am nursing.  Life is wonderfully chaotic!

• I am starting in a couple of weeks and I am BFing.  What snacks have you used/recommend?  Are the EAS drinks ok?  Also, I am c-section so any other modifications to workout?  My son will be 4 months when I start.