BFL Beginner looking for Friends for mutual encouragment! LIve in Sydney Australia and would love to hear from anyone who has just started.

• Thanks so much for all this info Lori, this really helps!

• Hi Everyone,

Quick question (I hope!) regarding timing of meals:

It is recommended by BFL  to do cardio on an empty stomach - not a problem.  What my worry is, is that by the time I get my cardio done and wait one hour before eating, I am not having my first meal of the day until 9:30 - 10am.  (I need to get my kids off to school before leaving for the gym to do cardio, we do not have a cardio machine here at home, and I LIKE doing my cardio there!)

Is this detrimental to my progress?  I feel like 10am is so late to have that first meal!  I hear "exercise on an empty stomach" and "wait one hour after cardio before eating", but I thought it also said to eat your first meal as early as possible in the day to get the metabolism going!

Any ideas?

Tina (aka Mn MOM)

• Mazjaz:  Sorry I just got back to this thread; I post on some other more specific time frame threads, and then forget to check back here.  I actually finished my first challenge on November 8th of last year.  I am now in week 3 of my second challenge.  I did well during my first challenge.  I didn't lose the amount of body fat I had hoped to during C1, but lost more inches and scale weight than expected (you can see all my stats under my profile).  It is an adventure; you never know what the final outcome will be, but it is worth the journey for sure.  The second challenge I find to be a little more difficult, especially coming right off the holidays, where I allowed myself too much of the wrong foods; I've had to wean myself off some foods again, and this week I am feeling great, getting back into the groove with the eating & workouts, and ready to finish this challenge strong!

Tina:  During my first challenge, the only day I did cardio in a fasted state was on Saturday mornings.  Tuesday & Thursday mornings looked something like this:  Get up @ 4:30, eat a regular BF @ 5:30, do cardio @ 8:30, and then have protein shake around 9:30.  If I waited to eat, it would be five hours after I am awake, and after fasting all night.  I always felt better getting something in my stomach first.  Also, I get light headed real easy, and need to eat.  I just started C2 less than three weeks ago, and I am doing it a little differently now.  I now have a Treadmill at home, so I am trying to get up and get my HIIT in before I eat.  I haven't noticed any difference from the first time around.  I know people who have done it both ways and have had great success.  I think you need to experiment with what works best for you.  I would say on cardio days, to try to eat 2-3 hours beforehand, so your food has time to digest before you start jostling around on the treadmill or elliptical, etc...

Best of luck to you both.

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• Thanks BD Mom!  I think I'll try getting up earlier so a light breakfast has time to digest and then hitting the cardio as early as I can once the kiddos are off. I have always been an "eat as soon as you get up" person, so this waiting for almost 3 hours to eat has been torture!    

Thanks for your help - you look great!  (Your starting weight on C1 is my goal weight for my C1...........guess we all start at a different point on this journey!)

Tina

• Hi Mazjaz,

I have just completed week 2 day 3 of my first challenge and am really enjoying it too :)

I think we have to treat this challenge as both a physical and mental learning curve in order to go on and achieve our goals. I know today, for example, my third UBWO, and because I didn't eat enough it really affected my performance. I hit my 10s WAY too early, and had to lower my weights in order to complete my routine which I was upset about. Next week is an upper-body orientated week, and I am going to eat more and lift heavier! I have found that an hour before my workout my body is ready, like it wants to/needs to start exercising ha ha!

I am already noticing positive changes in my focus and my body. I am not going by scale weight, but how I feel and look. My coat is now too big and I bought a new one a size smaller today! :) I've always wanted to be dedicated to something, and can see weight training as being my "thing" for a long, long time. Finally bt the bullet and bought some Myoplex shakes which really make life easier.

I wish you all the best on your challenge and hope you reach your goals!

Jules82

• Mental learning curve, that's for sure.  I'm finding it's a bit more challenging to do the BFL when you have a 5 month old and three other kids to lug around, while also tossing in a night shift schedule for both me and my wife.  However, we made it throught the first week.  I did, however, really splurge on my free day yesterday.  No eating good with only a granola bar as my treat.  It was Butter Pecan icecream, beer, and all sorts of other fun.  Yet that was yesterday and today it's back into the swing of things.  Fell great.  Oh, and I did weight myself before yesterday's fun and lost four pounds in week #1.  Feel great too.  

As Jules82 writes above, I've also learned that you can't cut out meals and nutrition, especially in the first couple weeks.  I have found in the past I've actually enlarged my portion sizes (have 2 apples in stead of just one) to make it through certain days.  Usually this isn't necessary as you move into weeks 3 and 4, but early on it's often needed while your body adjusts to the change.  I find this does not effect my weight loss.  In fact, I've actually had weeks where I've lost more weight on the weeks I've eaten more as opposed to less.  So there is not need to skimp on meals.

John

• Mental learning curve, that's for sure.  I'm finding it's a bit more challenging to do the BFL when you have a 5 month old and three other kids to lug around, while also tossing in a night shift schedule for both me and my wife.  However, we made it throught the first week.  I did, however, really splurge on my free day yesterday.  No eating good with only a granola bar as my treat.  It was Butter Pecan icecream, beer, and all sorts of other fun.  Yet that was yesterday and today it's back into the swing of things.  Fell great.  Oh, and I did weight myself before yesterday's fun and lost four pounds in week #1.  Feel great too.  

As Jules82 writes above, I've also learned that you can't cut out meals and nutrition, especially in the first couple weeks.  I have found in the past I've actually enlarged my portion sizes (have 2 apples in stead of just one) to make it through certain days.  Usually this isn't necessary as you move into weeks 3 and 4, but early on it's often needed while your body adjusts to the change.  I find this does not effect my weight loss.  In fact, I've actually had weeks where I've lost more weight on the weeks I've eaten more as opposed to less.  So there is not need to skimp on meals.

John

• Hats off to you John and your wife- attempting this with all that going on. When mine (children) were that little it was pretty much "survivor mode"  - and I only have 2!  Best to you and your wife!

• Yep, we all have our vices............my downfall, believe it or not, is................BREAKFAST CEREAL!!!   Pre BFL I was having a bowl of cereal every night before bed (plus a little extra to finish up the milk left in the bowl!), and I am sure adding an extra 500 calories to my daily total.  

Today - my second free day - I allowed myself 1 cup of cereal and 1cup of milk for a free meal.  In the past, that bowl would have held 3x that amount!  

Have a great week everyone, and find a new "10" to hit each day!!!!

• I'd have to add breakfast cereal to my list of vices as well.  I had to put breakfast cereal and pizza on the same list I put potato chips and beer on -- the no no list.  It's impossible to just have one.  However, considering I'm going it alone here and have 4 stressers (kids), I allow myself to eat anything on my free day.  To limit myself to just ONE bowl of cereal on my free day wouldn't quite be satisfying enough.

I know I lose weight a little slower this way, but it's worth.  I have to have a release day, and that's a truly free day.  I only have one rule on my free day -- no eating until I'm bloated.  That pretty much rules out buffet meals too.  But I break that rule sometimes too.

On a side note, today is not a free day and my kids will be at Bible Study.  So my wife wants to go to Applebees.  I'm sure Applebees steaks aren't on the BFL diet, yet that's what I'm splurging on.  I'll try to be good and eat only half with a baked potato and no butter.  

Yet the devil in me says..

• Firstly to John, all the very best incorporating BFL into your already busy life! You and your wife are setting an excellent example to your kids :-)

Secondly, I have just completed my 2nd week of my first challenge! I feel fantastic. I am already seeing changes in my body, especially my legs and my waist line... I'm very camera shy so you'll just have to trust me on that ha ha!

I think that the biggest changes are my mood and attitude. I get up at 5am, get ready for work, deal with all the stressful office drama (you have no idea!), and then I'm in the gym at 3:30pm, concentrating on nothing more than my workout. By the time I'm done I am famished and all I can think about is how exhausted and hungry I am. All the politics in my working day has vanished, and I have stopped taking it home with me. That is probably the biggest gift BFL has given to me so far... "ME TIME".

My workouts and my eating are a work in progress. I haven't completed a 'perfect day' but its coming soon. I know this is a CHALLENGE, and as so many experienced BFL successors have said its Progress NOT Perfection. With that said, I am getting better and better, and I am learning from my mistakes...The day I finish my 6th meal and rub my tired muscles thinking, "I did an outstanding job!" is coming soon!

Keep going everyone! Winners make things happen, losers let things happen!

• Hi Everyone,

I love checking in to see how you all are doing, keep pushing forward like you are!  I have three questions for those of you out there with more nutritional knowledge than I:

1) Is Muscle Milk Lite an acceptable substitute for EAS lite?  

Our local Costco carries the MM Lite, and they are SO much more affordable than the other shakes I've seen, plus I can buy them locally rather than ordering.  The Muscle Milk Lite shakes have the following:  

160 calories in an 8.5 oz shake
    5g fat (1.5 is saturated fat)
    9g carb (3 of those are sugars)
    20g protein

2) What about "Zone Perfect" bars for meals on the run?  

They are only $1 each (again, much more affordable and taste pretty good!), stats for those are as follows , this varies a bit by flavor:

190 calories    
    6g fat (5 are saturated)
    22g carb (1 is fiber, 14 are sugars)
    12g protein

I'm not concerned about sodium as I never salt my food and eat very few salty items in general.  I'm just wondering if these are acceptable substitutes, or if I'm sabotaging my progress by using them.  I did purchase several of the regular EAS myoplex bars, plus 5 jars of EAS CLA, but hoping these will be OK as well.  Not trying to undercut the EAS products, it's just that these fit into the family budget much easier!

3) How long after eating is it effective to take CLA? 

I try to take it with each of my main meals, but often forget.  How close to the time one eats does it have to be taken to be effective?  The package just says to "take with meals"..............if I forget can I take it an hour later, or have I missed the window by then?

Thanks so much everyone for sharing yourselves and your knowlege!

Tina

P.S. Down 6.5 lbs from my start weight on January 3, yahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

• I guess I'm no help because I do the BFL by sticking to regular food.  If I need a meal on the run I grab a low fat cheese stick and an apple or banana.

• Thanks John - low fat string cheese and an apple are my "go-to" mini meals as well, but sometimes I need the "chocolate fix" of a meal replacement bar or shake.............damn hormones!!!!!!!!!!!