cutting carbs is overblown

• I don't have time to watch those videos right now, but boy is that guy scary looking.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• give it a watch when you have time.

• Good point, ayummymommy.  I think that you're right on - everyone is different, especially when it comes to what our goals are.  I'm sure I don't want a body like the fellow in this video - he appears to have a lot of muscle, and I'm sure he is very strong.  I prefer a more lean, trim appearance. 

One question I have for the folks who have done a lot of research on this is - cause I reallly have no idea - what would happen if a person consumed 3000 calories per day worth of protein, but only burned off 2000 or so?  If the calorie balance is not important, then why would we have to control protein sizes to "palm size"??

Jacium

Once I discovered the joys of weight training, all other passions were transcended.

Jacium

• Charlie, Those videos are great! It's worth watching.

ayummymommy, Fantastic point!! Thank you.

Warm regards to everyone.

• Very good info Charlie, I agree with Lori, well worth a watching.

Now, people may not agree with his approach...not the point. The videos very clearly explain what the role of each macro nutrient is and how our body responds to them. THAT is the point.

• Charlie,

I watched those videos and I counter it with this podcast

www.adonisindex.com/ketogenic-diets-for-fat-loss

• I found neither the podcast or videos compelling.  The videos were more broscience.  They are mostly good, but too extreme.  It might be different if you were about to go into competition, but for life, it's not the best.

The podcast compared against an extreme so it really wasn't beneficial.  Of course we need carbs.  I don't disagree, but the podcast failed to effectively argue why we would need for meal 6.  I'm not even saying it's bad to have with meal 6, but the podcast just compared against Adkins.  That didn't help me.

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• doesnt matter if you agree or not. The point was there are many ways to Rome.

And yes some people are so insulin sensitive that eating carbs is not the way to go. It's about how your body responds. Some can handle more carbs, some do better on fat as a fuel source. THis is not a who is right and who is wrong topic, or least it shouldnt be. We all should be in this together to be our best. How we get there should not be an issue.

YOu should also define "need" when you talk about carbs. When you say need you make it sound that they are essential, which they are not.

Go look at Drew Avery, one of the orginal 10 BFL champs. He eats a ketogenic diet because he says he could never get as cut as he wanted, no matter how much cardio he did. Once he switched the diet it happened. He stated that he maintains a 4 week out look for photos etc.

If Jessica can eat 50% of her calories from carbs, and get as lean as she wants, then she should do that.

If 6 pack eats a ketogenic diet, not saying he should, but if it gets him to where he wants to be, then I say good job and keep it up.

I will try to say this politely as I can.

6 pack, I hope you reach your goals. However, in this thread you come across as someone who is handing out the law, the "way it is" and let's just say you don't exactly look the part to be giving out advice when it comes to fat loss. Be open minded to learning, it just may benefit you.

• Carbs are absolutely essential.  It is a myth that they are not.  Also, yes some are very carb sensitive, but the drastic cutting of carbs make that worse.  RMR testing proves that when it determines what one uses for fuel.  It's fascinating to see how one can shift what their body uses.  I cut carbs and shifted my body to using fat for fuel, which was the wrong move.  That didn't mean I was losing more fat, but simply that I wasn't burning carbs properly for energy.  The problem is that I'm really fast twitched so it reduced my effectiveness as an athlete and way reduced my energy.  

We are not talking the last few weeks, for a competition or such. We are talking for life and it hurts people here to suggest they go so off from BFL, which absolutely works and is very healthy.  

• Bodyforlife works

Weight watchers works

Atkins works

Ketgenic diets work

and 100s more

All these diets have different angles that they preach but they all obey one law which gives success to the person that follows them, they all cause one to eat less calories then they burn off, the bodybuilding subculture has such a grip on this industry that when people get results from it they automatically assume its the only way to do it

Take a look at this guy for example

http://johnbarban.com/about/

Would it suprise you if I told you

1.he doesnt eat 6 meals a day every 2 or 3 hours

2.he doesnt eat 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight

3.he doesnt do cardio in the traditional sense

4.He has a donut with coffee for breakfast most mornings

5.he sometimes fasts for 24 hours twice weekly

I recommend people read eatstopeat by brad pilon, however I am not dismissing Bodyforlife, its a great lifestyle and if it works for you and you can make it a lifestyle then do that

• "We are not talking the last few weeks, for a competition or such. We are talking for life and it hurts people here to suggest they go so off from BFL, which absolutely works and is very healthy.  "

I 100% AGREE with this!!! I have been down the ketogenic route as well and not a way to live. And probably screwed me up metabolically BIG TIME.

At the same time sometimes different approaches are needed to get off that last little bit of fat and if that is reducing carbs at night and having the majority of carbs earlier in the day then so be it.

I have chosen BFL for the fact it is encouraging good carbs and to not fear them...we are regular people living regular lives that want to be lean, not 2% body fat, just lean and hot mamas... so follow the plan, and like Lori always suggests, evaluate and re-evaluate based on where you are and where you want to be. Lori is living proof that this works.

• "I recommend people read eatstopeat by brad pilon, however I am not dismissing Bodyforlife, its a great lifestyle and if it works for you and you can make it a lifestyle then do that"

I would NOT recommend eat stop eat actually. Sure, read it, but it is not a way for normal people to live. The proof is in the title. I am not going to engage in disagreements about this but... Let's be respectful and keep in mind we are responding on a BODY FOR LIFE forum.

• Maybe we need to define what we mean when we say something "works".

WW will get someone smaller, but no, does not by my definition, work.  If the goal is to take up less space then those other things work.  My goals is optimal health and BFL can absolutely help me achieve that. 

I think healthy and respectful discussion of other programs is great.  For instance, I think Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle is an excellent program.

That being said, are we not on the BFL forum?  Does Abbott not generously provide us this amazing tool for FREE?  That doesn't mean we must be cult like, but a little respect is absolutely called for and appropriate.  This program WORKS!

• Jessica,

Right On!  Doing BFL took me somewhere I've never been to in my life - a lean, mean, fighting machine.  I've been doing it for over 92 weeks now, an I'm gonna stick with the girl I brought to the dance (or, perhaps I should say the one who brought me!!)

Jacium

Once I discovered the joys of weight training, all other passions were transcended.

Jacium

• 92 Weeks!?!

That's amazing, good for you!  So many say this can't become a lifestyle, but you have proven that wrong.  You must feel so good and good about yourself.