cutting carbs is overblown

• I see alot of people giving advice to cut carbs in their last 2 meals to speed up fatloss and im just letting people know that its nonsense, the main reason people lose more fat when they cut carbs is because when carbs are cut calories are cut, the biggest factor in weightloss is calorie deficet not carb deficent

For example if a guy eats a bfl type diet 40/40/20 and has 2000 calories a day but then swtiches to a lower carb diet but increases his fat and protein so that his calorie total is 2250 his fatloss will decrease not increase

Did you kniw that in the 60s and 70s bodybuilders got ripped for shows and their dietswhere closer to 70% carbs 20% protein and 10% fats, how could they get ripped on such a macro profile you may ask? its because their calories were below maintence which I have ssid already is the main factor in fatloss

• 6Pack,

I agree - based on my personal experience, too.   I eat way more carbs than protein, and still ended up with that lean, defined look.   About 70% of my fat was lost before I started excercing, or doing BFL.  In my first challenge, I lost the balance of the weight, and toned up.  My last two meals have plenty of calories, but maybe since I excercise at night, my body needs them to build muscle.  I am a big believer in the value of complex carbs as opposed to simple ones, however.   I've also seen a lot of posts advocating balancing protein and carbs 1:1, and that's definitely against what the USDA gives as  food recommendations, and as you point out, what body builders used to do.  I think the recommended amount is 0.33 g. of protein per lb of body weight.  In the past, I've posted about the conservation of energy, and 1st Law of Thermodyamics, and now you've experienced it first hand!  Hope your challenge is going well.  Just stay the course, and the fat will burn off....

Jacium

Once I discovered the joys of weight training, all other passions were transcended.

Jacium

• "I see alot of people giving advice to cut carbs in their last 2 meals to speed up fatloss and im just letting people know that its nonsense, the main reason people lose more fat when they cut carbs is because when carbs are cut calories are cut, the biggest factor in weightloss is calorie deficet not carb deficent "

Not necessarily as they may increase their carbs earlier in the day to be used more efficiently or exchanging the amount of carbs for a slight increase in protein...but assuming as you said with no adjustments they are also losing "water weight" as carbs are stored with water...

Bottom line, people have to do what works for them. Also depends on what stage of fat loss the person is at. The equation is not so simple.

But either way, if people follow BFL exactly as written they will blast fat. Maybe some slower than others but they will do it.

• But either way, if people follow BFL exactly as written they will blast fat. Maybe some slower than others but they will do it.

I have to wonder if that's because when they follow BFL as written, they're finally getting the correct portion size and not eating 2X or 3X what is really need in the way of calories, simple carbs, and unhealthy fats.

Once I discovered the joys of weight training, all other passions were transcended.

Jacium

• I have to wonder if that's because when they follow BFL as written, they're finally getting the correct portion size and not eating 2X or 3X what is really need in the way of calories, simple carbs, and unhealthy fats.

Yes, I agree. I think that any plan that is followed WILL work as portion sizes etc are reduced.

What I have chosen to do with BFL is make it my way of life. There are no beginnings and ends of challenges...I will always challenge myself and strive to eat right to constantly be getting leaner, stronger, add lean muscle...whatever my goals are.

• Here's something else for you to consider:

I located an article, Chicago Tribune Magazine, Oct. 24, 2010, "Rethinking Protein Powder" by James S. Fell.  Article states most people don't need supplements to achieve their goals, but admits protein powder (& shakes) are a convenience.   The daily dietary reference intake (DRI) is 0.36 g. per pound of body weight, but the folks who sell supplements recommend 1.1 g/lb.  Not surprising eh?  Helps profits.  Anyway, various researchers chime in; one at Northeastern Univerisity recommends  0.45 - 0.54 g/lb for people engaged in endurance training, but the DRI's are adequate for weight lifters.  A highly regarded nutrition consultant, Alan Aragon specializes in bodybuilders, physique models, pro athletes, including LA Kings, Anaheim Ducks hockey and LA Lakers.    He recommends 0.77 g/lb  for those looking to lose fat and build muscle, but only 0.63 g/lb if solely building muscle.  An article from the Journal of International Sports Nutrition showed the optimal results for weighlifting athletes was at 0.72 g/lb.  I haven't found any references going at 1.0 g/lb.  The real shocker is the statement that "researchers from McMaster Univ. in Mailton, Ontario recommended athletes consume a 60% to 65% carbohydrate diet to fuel sport performance - a figure that sends Dr. Atkins fans into apoplexy...."  I'm sure it would.  I think it's understood these would be complex carbs, as we eat. 

Having read all this, I don't even bother to monitor protein in my diet.

Jacium

Jacium

• I'm glad I did Atkins. It taught me a lot about good carbs vs bad carbs! Brown rice vs white rice, whole wheat vs white, etc...I wish that more people knew what Atkins was really about. Not just cutting all carbs but cutting the ones that pack on the pounds, cookies, chips, white bread, white rice, pasta (not whole wheat) etc. It really does promote all of the good complex carbs that are listed  as safe to eat on the BFL plan :)

Tia~

http://journeytosix.blogspot.com

You can choose the pain of discipline or the pain of regret...

• The original post is both true and somewhat off.  It's absolutely true that cutting carbs specifically is not  the answer to weight loss.  We need carbs and they are not the enemy.  As for the last meal, no, it doesn't have to do with cutting calories that many choose to go lighter on carbs.  

We grow muscle at night when Human Growth Hormone rises.  It can only rise if insulin is low and that naturally happens at night, once it goes down from what we ate.  That's why complex carbs are not recommended in the evening and why some don't have any carb with meal 6.  Personally, I do have a traditional BFL 6 meals that are balanced.  I eat meal 6 not just before bed and therefore am okay with timing.  If I were to have it before bed I might have some berries, but would likely instead opt for casein protein and some veggies.  

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• I agree with all of what Jessica says.  This is just one of the many complexities of the human body.  This notion of breaking down any diet back into calories is seriously flawed.  Calorie counting used without regard for anything else is stupid. Stable blood sugar levels play a much more crucial role in fat loss.  All calories are not equal because more important then the calories themselves is your body's reactions to them i.e. changes in hormones and blood sugar.  Ultimately you are trying to speed up your metabolism which cannot be done through simple calorie restriction.  Suggesting that the prescribed methods were only restricting calories is silly.  It's trying to generate feedback from your body.

The prescribed BFL program has all kinds of efforts built in to control hormones and blood sugar.  This thread has done the opposite of its intention as I did not participate in the afformentioned practice of no carbs in the last two meals but understanding its intention through literature, I now will.  There are numerous books about raising your metabolism, talking about the different ways each type of fat protien and carbs interact with your body.  I would really recommend you read one.

•  Jessica and Brian are correct! Carbs increase insulin and therefore inhibits the release of growth hormone.  Growth hormone is a protein hormone released from the pituitary gland that plays a vital role in growth and metabolism. Besides increasing strength and size, growth hormone also boosts fat loss by removing fat from fat cells and making it available to be burned for energy.

With that said, as reiterated, too much of the hormone insulin in the blood inhibits the release of growth hormone from the pituitary gland . Since carbohydrates increase insulin levels, reducing carb intake or choosing slow-digesting carbs can reduce the amount of insulin in the blood. Slow-digesting carbs, such as sweet potatoes and brown rice, release less insulin than fast-digesting carbs such as rice cakes and white bread.

Keep in mind that carbs are an essential component to good health and they fuel the body and brain.

Lori

• Believe it or not protein elicits an insulin response also and all the research for the release of growth hormone during sleep indicate that the person needs to be in a fasted state for up to 4 hours before bed,also brian your wrong calorie deficet is the most important factor when it comes to fatloss, you could eat a very low glycemic diet but if your calories are above maintenance you wont lose fat, i used to believe all this stuff too but I have done my home work, here are some podcasts that will open up alot of yer minds

www.adonisindex.com/audio-training

• Many of us have done extensive research.  Personally, I read scientific journals.  Although protein does increase insulin, it does so for a very short period of time and it's a really small increase.  This is why so many body builders, if waking at night, have a "protein shooter".  I know many BFLers that do it too.  Chris Cary is a great example.  He will have a small amount of whey and water mixed and then straight back to bed.  Chris has no issues with muscle growth.  Glucose really is what spikes insulin.

Jessica Mighty Max ~ 2013 Body-for-LIFE Champion ~ Champion is a VERB!

• I also would like to add that definitive statements in regard to the "best ways for fat loss" or what you "should and should not do" are better left off this forum. There are many ways to skin a cat. There is no "one size fits all" for everyone. What works for some may not work for others and vise versa. I happen to agree with the ladies here (oooops sorry, and Brian too), but like I said, I keep an open mind and realize it really depends on the person. Everyone is different. Some can have loads of good quality carbs anytime and be fine and fat loss is flying. Yet there are others of us that are not so lucky. We can make any suggestions we want and one can choose to go that route or not.

It is unfair to call it "nonsense" though.

With that said, we are here to help and support each other. People are sharing what worked for THEM, maybe when all else failed. Please remember everyone is different and so a different approach may be needed with some.There is no RIGHT or WRONG way to fat loss. Just DIFFERENT.