Cardio on a NOT-empty stomach?

• So.... due to my life, schedule, and hypoglycemia... I am just not able to do cardio in the morning on an empty stomach. I''ve really gotten into a motivated groove of doing it after school, though (I'm a teacher) before the boys get home.

Is this going to seriously impede my progress? Do you have any experience you can share regarding cardio on empty versus not?

"The limits you are living with right now, in every aspect of your existence, have been created by your mind. They are perceptions. And they are holding you back. You are capable of far more than you think you are." -Bill Phillips

• Kimmie: I've done several challenges since 2003 with great results. My profile pic is me when I did my first challenge at age 44. I DO NOT do cardio or weights first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. I tried doing cardio one time in the morning on an empty stomach and I felt sick the rest of the day. You need to have fuel in your body!!! All of my workouts are in the afternoon or early evening. Don't get hung up on the "first thing in the morning" thing. Fit your workouts into your lifestyle and whatever works best for you. Hope this helps. All the best!!

fit4life "The dream must be bigger than the pain"

• Kimmie,

I would suggest if at all possible that you eat 1h to 1h 30min before your workout and eat 1h after you finish your work out.

• Thank you for sharing your experiences with me, fit4life! I have felt so good about being on track with my workouts; I know that trying to workout mornings on an empty stomach would serve me much as it did you.

I appreciate your guidance!

~K

"The limits you are living with right now, in every aspect of your existence, have been created by your mind. They are perceptions. And they are holding you back. You are capable of far more than you think you are." -Bill Phillips

• Check this out:

www.hussmanfitness.com/.../TFPostProtein.html

Basically it says you should have some protein after a workout as it keeps you body from breaking down muscle.  You dont need a lot either, just a little.  

I try to run in the morning only on Saturday, the other days, I wait 1 to 1.5 hours as figawu suggested.

• Awesome article! Thank you for sharing. My husband has always done this, but I've fallen off of that wagon, so to speak. Looks like I'll be climbing back on again! I appreciate the advice - and I'm excited to incoporate it into my plan!

interestingly, one of my "meals" has been a protein bar in the afternoon, on my way to the track on cardio days. This makes me wonder about the effects of that 200 calorie Zone bar right before my jog?  Tonight is a lower body night, thought, so this is very timely advice. I appreciate it!