starting again 03jan11-goal to lose 50lbs of fat in 12 weeks-no freedays

• Speaking from experience, once you start losing weight on the program and seeing progress, you won't even want that free day.   I find that the free day sets me back a couple of days.   Like you, I set a goal of losing 50 lbs (started at 219 and am now down to 193 in 10 weeks).   I now realize that it is awfully hard (and maybe not smart) to lose 50 lbs in just weeks.    I am averaging about 2.5 lbs. lost per week and it feels right.

I would suggest that you try to complete your goal in several challenges...I'm going to use 2 challenges and, hopefully, be at my goal by spring.  

good luck !

• I am starting on January 3rd too.. I also need to get ready too :)  good luck for both of us

today i'll eat perfect... :)

• In fact I was against free days until I took my workouts to the next level. As it turned out, for you to have a great 6-day week of grueling exercise, you need a day of what they call "carb over-load". I don't know if i can eat all day long (tried and failed lol), but I will eat what I crave. God knows, I CAN'T live on the table of foods mentioned in the book for the rest of my life. Just the very idea is depressing and unrealistic. I am sick and tired of yo-yo diets and harsh diets. I am not a movie star paid millions to suffer this lunacy. I am an ordinary person and I want to enjoy my ordinary life and that includes the birthday parties, the outings with friends, etc etc. I will either have free days 52 days a year, or I will binge year in year out. The choice seems to be a no brainer to me.

Courage isn't lack of fear. It's our ability to carry on despite our fear

• Thanks guys for this exchange.

I am getting ready for a 3 Jan start and I am very much a 6 ft  265 pounder. I have been trying to decide what is a reasonable goal weight that is SMART. I wast thinking about 220 lbs but was worried I was setting myself up for failure and it had crossed my mind to skip free days so you have put me straight on that side of things.

• Atonius - I think the worst thing you can do is try to determine what your weight should be, because I don't think you really care about your weight. I know I don't. You should care more about how you look and feel.

Now with that said, if you knew your body fat %, then you could determine lean mass and fat mass and get a better idea of how much to lose to obtain your ideal bf%.

For now it is best that you just start and make the nutrition, the workouts all apart of your life and enjoy the process. 3 months will be here before you know it, just give it your best follow it to a "T" and you will look awesome.

And since you wanted to know, 2-3 lbs a week of fat loss is ideal for men.

• Thanks Charlie, yes I think you are right. I will go back to the book and look up how you start doing the bf% and other measurements.

• "In fact I was against free days until I took my workouts to the next level. As it turned out, for you to have a great 6-day week of grueling exercise, you need a day of what they call "carb over-load". I don't know if i can eat all day long (tried and failed lol), but I will eat what I crave. God knows, I CAN'T live on the table of foods mentioned in the book for the rest of my life. Just the very idea is depressing and unrealistic. I am sick and tired of yo-yo diets and harsh diets. I am not a movie star paid millions to suffer this lunacy. I am an ordinary person and I want to enjoy my ordinary life and that includes the birthday parties, the outings with friends, etc etc. I will either have free days 52 days a year, or I will binge year in year out. The choice seems to be a no brainer to me."

I agree with 15yr-shortcut here... I also have tried and I won't say failed because I have lost weight each time and kept it off, yet I've done many other stringent diets and I always feel like I am on a diet. The first few weeks of doing BFL all I'd think about was free day...big plans, never went crazy but nonetheless thought constantly about it. Now Saturday mornings (my free day) I just wake up relaxed and looking forward to the day should there be something I have craved, I will have it. Again though, the rest of the day remains about the same. This is life for me.

• Have you considered the possibility that as your body changes and transforms the foods you desire will also change?  I must be incredibly lucky in that regard.  Cravings for the edible junk disappeared.  Desire for more healthy choices like broccoli and lean turkey sandwiches on whole wheat (+lettuce, tomato, mustard) appeared.

IMHO if you eat for your body, and not for your mind, your mind will eventually come around as a deep understanding of the benefits is realized.  You need to take a leap of faith on this.  BTW - I'm not saying you won't ever want or have a treat again, but the thought of a grease-laden burger with fries may turn your stomach.

Jacium

p.s. wrt feeling hungry - increase the amoun of fiber in your diet to about 25 - 30 g. daily.  You'll feel fuller and satisfied.

Once I discovered the joys of weight training, all other passions were transcended.

Jacium

• First day today. One of the guys at Gold's put me on a body composition analysis machine which read out the dreaded stats:

Weight - 120.2 kg (265lbs) 35.9% Body Fat and a BMI of 34.7 Bit confused about the last two and what they really mean.

Of course - they all mean I have a lot of work to do!

• don't worry about bmi.

Very simple here.

170 lean mass

95 lbs fat mass

265 lbs total weight.

One day at a time my friend.

• Thanks Charlie.

Any ideas on how you apply the intensity principle to abs. Can see how it works with the other exercises where you are adding weight for each rep but not so much when there are no weights. Do you just aim to them faster??

• Here is an article from the BFL library about working abs: bodyforlife.com/.../trust-your-gut

Hope it helps, Antinous.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• contract your muscles harder and crunch slower.

• Saralynn - thanks for this. Really strange as this article is contradicting what Bill Phillips says in the book about abs.