20 minute aerobic

• Is it possible to do more cardio on the 20 minutes days? I would like to work out longer.

• Hello:

I think you should stick to the 20 minutes HIIT as laid out in the book.  If you want to go 5-10 minutes longer at a lower speed to cool down, that would be fine.  I included a response that I gave to someone else recently....so I didn't have to re-type it.

YES, HIIT DOES WORK, AND SHOULD BE DONE AS LAID OUT IN THE BOOK IF YOU WANT TO SEE RESULTS.  Last year, I had my body fat checked at one point.  I upped my cardio a lot, and had it checked 6 months later.  I had lost 8#'s or so on scale, but my body fat percentage went UP.  I was eating up all my lean muscle mass by doing too much cardio.  Even after that, I still did too much cardio.  With BFL, I did the 20 minute HIIT on T, Th & Sat, and added about 10 minutes to the end of it, just walking at a speed of 3.5.  My results speak for themselves.  You can see my profile.  I burned up a lot of fat with that cardio.  I lost over 2% body fat, and 12#'s during my challenge.  I know a lot of that was from HIIT since I have never worked that hard ever.  If you are doing HIIT correctly, you will continue to burn fat for up to 20 hours when you are done.  If you do regular steady state cardio, you will only burn for a few hours after.  If you can do HIIT longer than 20 minutes, you aren't doing it hard enough.  O.K...just my two cents..since you asked.

Best of luck to you!

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• As a former distance runner who did between 7-7.5 hours of cardio every week, I am now in my 7th week of Body for Life.  I can tell you from experience that doing more cardio will definitely keep your body from building lean muscle.  Please don't misunderstand, doing a lot of cardio has many health benefits and the release of endorphins is fantastic for your mental state of mind, but the 20 minute cardio sessions 3 days per week as set up with body for life will definitely help you more with respect to building lean muscle and reducing body fat.  If you are looking to change the shape of your body rather than soley loose scale weight, then I would stick to the structure of the cardio workouts as indicated in the book, at most add 10 minutes of moderate intensity work spread out before and/or after the workouts as a warm-up and cool/down.

Good luck to you.

One Life, Live Accordingly