Starting November 22nd... Are You Ready?

• When you see geese flying along in “V” formation, you might consider what science has discovered as to why they fly that way.

Fact: As each bird flaps its wings, it creates an “uplift” for the bird immediately following. By flying in a “V” formation, the whole flock has at least 71% greater flying range than if each bird flew on its own.

Lesson: People who share a common direction and sense of community can get where they are going quicker and easier because they are travelling on the thrust of one another.

Fact: When a goose flies out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of trying to go it alone. It quickly gets back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the birds immediately in front.

Lesson: If we have as much common sense as a goose, we stay in formation with those headed where we want to go. We are willing to accept their help and give our help to others. It is harder to do something alone than together.

Fact: When the lead goose gets tired, it rotates back into the formation, and another goose flies to the point position.

Lesson: It is sensible to take turns doing the hard and demanding tasks and sharing leadership. As with geese, people are interdependent of each others skills, capabilities, and unique arrangements of gifts, talents, or resources.

Fact: The geese flying in formation honk from behind to encourage those up front to keep up their speed.

Lesson: We need to make sure our honking is encouraging. In groups where there is encouragement, the production is much greater. The power of encouragement (to stand by one’s heart or core values and encourage the heart and core of others) is the quality of honking we seek. We need to make sure our honking is encouraging and not discouraging.

Fact: When a goose gets sick, wounded, or shot down, two other geese will drop out of formation with that goose and follow it down to lend help and protection. They stay with the fallen goose until it dies or is able to fly again. Then, they launch out on their own, or with another formation to catch up with their flock.

Lesson: If we have the sense of a goose, we will stand by each other in difficult times as well as in good.

Join us in our flight, starting November 22nd.

There's a girl out there warming up with your max.

• I LOVE IT BRICK!!!

Even though I am not officially starting this challenge with you, I will be checking in often and cheering you all on.  I will continue to eat the BFL way, and do some of my own workouts for now.  My next challenge will be starting December 27th, when you are all nearly halfway through yours.  Best of luck to you all on journey #2!!!

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• Good morning everyone,

I am hating AR and am ready to start the 11/22 challenge. Lets hone in on our plan and goals to make this as successful as the first challenge.

Welcome to any newcomers. You have definitely stumbled across the right group of people to bring out the best.

Waiting to hear from everyone.

Have a great day.

• Good morning, Cuervo! I, too, am anxious to get going again. I'll be going to the gym tonight and poking around... I am likely going to stick with the Cybex Eagle machines, even though I wanted to incorporate some free weights. I may still do that from time to time, when my husband's over there in that section of the gym.

Last challenge, I paid no attention whatsoever to healthy fats. I didn't have MORE than I should have on a regular basis, but I'm sure there were days I didn't have enough since I'm so programmed to watch fat. As I'm starting to understand, this can hinder fat loss in the long run. This time around, I'll try my best to get my couple-few grams per meal to round out my 40-40-20 numbers.

I also want to encourage anyone who would like to have the support of an amazing group of people, to join us and share the ride.

• Fantastic post to get it started!! I will be here joining in the flight!

• Count me in also!! I am finishing up C1 this week & don't think I can do AR on Thanksgiving week with all of that tempting food around. I may do an AR weekend instead.

I'm getting excited all over again about starting C2. In C1 I met my scale weight goal of losing 10 lbs and increasing tone. I need more body fat reduction, etc. so I will be more focused on eating clean in C2. It will be tough doing that through the holidays, but I am committed to doing it.

I'll be checking in here everyday to make sure I'm still in formation and to listen for the geese honking!!

• Welcome, Grandpa Hiker! Congratulations on finishing up C1 and on your awesome progress! I'm not going to lecture you on not taking the recommended 1-2 weeks of AR, but I can honestly say that the break was very much appreciated by my muscles and joints. My head, on the other hand, wants no part of it and just wants to go back to the gym NOW! Listen closely to your body and if you need a rest, by all means, take one. We'll still be here for you!

• Great article, Brick! I love it!

Michelle

The only real obstacles in life are those you place in front of yourself. There is always an alternative or another way around, even if that alternative is just looking at the obstacles in a positive light!

• I love the article.  Thanks for sharing Brick.  Nice way to kickstart our next challenge.  

When you honk at me, please make sure it's the encouraging honk and not the discouraging honk.  lol

• Nothing but good, happy honks allowed, Damage!

I'm going to hit the gym with my husband in a little while and do the full-body circuit. I think I'll just do my three sets of 12 on each machine at a decent portion of my last max on them. Wow! I think he just pulled up! Time to go~! I'll be back!

• Love the message here! happy to join this motivating group-I was cracking up at 2conquer "hating AR"-not a big fan myself-but I do see the reasoning...so we can gear up for round 2 and give it our best!!    

• So, I did 3 sets of 12 reps on each machine on the full-body circuit and then had time to do 12 at 75 on the ab crunch before hubby finished his cardio. My quads were screaming! I hadn't done any leg extensions in awhile because of my knee, but tonight it was ok. I didn't push myself or hit a 10 on anything, and I wasn't trying to. Just a few more days and I'll be able to start crushing those weights again! Can't wait!

• I have a question.  I am a newbie - downloaded the challenge packet but haven't read the book yet.  Actually the information on this site seems very complete and helpful.  But I'm confused about these challenges.

1.  when people are starting the challenges on these forums - are they REAL challenges where people actually send in their pics and testimonials?  And get counted for the prizes?

2.  If that is the case, what are the challenge rounds dates?  Don't the challenges have to be in those date periods?  I don't get this.

3.  Since there are no dates for 2011, how do we know whether these dates are okay?  Can they overlap the beginning of the year?

4.  With digital cameras, do we have to get them developed and attach to the entry?  Is there any way to do it electronically?  to be honest, I'm embarrassed to have my pictures printed.

Thank you for your help.

Jackie

• Good morning everyone,

I have started planning my next challenge. I have my workouts listed and have started laying out my meals. I will try to pick 10 or 12 really good meals and just rotate them out for variety. My first day will be approximately 2650 calories, 300.5 g protein, 212 grams carb, and 69 grams fat. I want to be higher on the protein and see where that takes me. I figure 1.5g/lb of bodyweight is a good starting point. If this doesn't produce the results I am happy with, I will change things up in 4 weeks. Please keep in mind that I do not want to lose any weight during this challenge, only bodyfat.

Any ideas or suggestions arw appreciated.

Have a greta day everyone.

• Good morning, kids, and welcome to secretminime! Some of us sent packets in for our last challenge that we started on August 16. The group that successfully finished that 12 weeks is the backbone of this thread. Several of us are doing another 12 weeks. This particular "challenge" isn't for the actual EAS contest, since the rounds for 2010 are closed. I haven't seen any dates listed for 2011 as of yet. Regarding pictures, if you have the software, you can insert your digital images into the PDF, but it would still need to be printed in order to be submitted. It isn't a requirement to officially enter the contest for prizes. For many of us, the satisfaction of finishing is reward enough!